This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Everyone Talks About the Weather...

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Everyone Talks About the Weather...

Postby johobbit » Mar 16, 2013 10:03 am

Glimmie wrote:we hit over 80F/26.7C yesterday and will get over 85F/29.4C today. :-o

Will start to cool off again by next Monday. :)

#:-s Glim, that's warm! Glad you'll enjoy some relief in a couple of days. As always, it is so odd to hear those high temperatures when we're sitting at below -10C/14F with the wind chill. And flurries. ;))

wagga wrote: I expect there are mountains between you and the coast?

No, not towards the east coast, anyway, but most certainly on the west (the amazing Canadian Rockies).

fantasia wrote:I'm ready to garden!

Why does that not surprise me? :)) :D

Since at this stage I don't plant seeds indoors, I won't be puttering around in the earth for another couple of months. Seems so long, but it will come quickly enough, I suppose.

fantasia wrote:I've opened the windows and sliding back door in my house to get some fresh air in while I can. :D

Ahhh, how I love doing this when it's spring-fresh outside. Such a wonderful scent wafts in. :x I wonder when we will be able to follow suit (for a prolonged period of time) for the first time this spring ...

stargazer wrote:Actually last year at this time we were also pushing 80F, but this year is much more typical...maybe 40F with over a foot of snow still gracing our yards.

Yes, last March was far too warm for the northlands, anyway. This March is much more sensible and proper. ;))

While we are losing much of our snow *weeps*, it has been cold with flurries again this morning. A storm system is moving our way for Tuesday, and it all depends which way the temperature shifts whether we will get rain or snow. *really hopes for the latter*

And spring arrives on Wednesday (Nellie of Narnia's birthday, btw :D) at 7:02 a.m. EDT.

I looked at the Almanac for our area and it appears summer is going to be cooler and rainier than most. I am so not complaining! And it appears that in April we may be getting some snow flurries off and on. Cool! (Literally, lol.)

Sorry you haven't been able to see the comet because of the overcast skies, DiGs.

DiGs (bold phrase is mine) wrote:We took advantage of this beautiful weather by having a dinner of fish and chips at a local pub, and then driving around a goose covered lake.

Moot Manor Pond? :))
johobbit

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Mar 16, 2013 10:54 am

I tell you, Jo. . . geese are everywhere this time of year. They were all over the place at the zoo the other day, and every time I hear them, I think of the swarm that almost killed us all at the Hobbit Moot ;))

And just so this post is on topic. . . voila a cloud picture.

I wonder if stupid cloud horses can die from hangnails ;))
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby fantasia » Mar 18, 2013 6:31 am

Well after our gorgeous couple of days last week, winter is returning here this week. Today and tomorrow will be pretty typical days for March, but we're expecting snow (!!!) later this week. It's extremely rare that we get snow after the first day of spring. In fact I remember that happening once, and it was on the first day of spring. Winter has arrived late for us this year. January was warmer than late February and March. ;))
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby stargazer » Mar 18, 2013 8:48 am

Great picture, Digs!

Spring snow is the best kind, fantasia! ;)) Snow here can fall until May 28, though May snow is pretty unusual (maybe every 4 years).

Our weather has followed that same pattern - cold and snowy March after dry months in January and February.

And what a difference a year makes: last year St Paddy's Day revelers in St Paul basked in record 81F/27C heat; today's high is 30F/-1C with light snow and winds exceeding 40mph/65km/hr (windchills well below 0F) and actual air temps might approach 0F/-17C tomorrow evening. Ahh, winter!
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Mar 18, 2013 1:16 pm

You are still getting snow? Wow! :-o It seems that autumn - or what we have of it - has finally arrived. The mornings and evenings are crisply cool, as fresh as a glass of pure iced water on a hot day. And though the days are still quite warm (75F-80F), it isn't the horrible stale heat we have been having up until last weekend. We can even sleep properly for a change.

But we still haven't got much rain, despite Cyclone Sandra.

Digs wrote:I tell you, Jo. . . geese are everywhere this time of year.

That would be nice to see. We get parakeets and parrots mainly, along with currawongs, crows and magpies, plus the ubiquitous pigeons, and those wretched Indian mynahs. There seems to be a lot of birds this summer, including even a couple of willy wag-tails, which I haven't seen for a while. A whole flock of suphur-crested cockatoos were having a party in a council tree on Sunday morning as I went past, and when 3 galahs (feathered kind) swooped low across the road I had to brake suddenly to avoid them. But I haven't heard any kookaburras for a while.

And yes, the horse cloud picture was lovely. :)
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Mar 19, 2013 4:54 am

Wagga wrote:That would be nice to see. We get parakeets and parrots mainly, along with currawongs, crows and magpies, plus the ubiquitous pigeons, and those wretched Indian mynahs. There seems to be a lot of birds this summer, including even a couple of willy wag-tails, which I haven't seen for a while. A whole flock of suphur-crested cockatoos were having a party in a council tree on Sunday morning as I went past, and when 3 galahs (feathered kind) swooped low across the road I had to brake suddenly to avoid them. But I haven't heard any kookaburras for a while.

I can't stop gushing over this paragraph, Wagga. . . . I couldn't imagine what it would be like to wake up to a backyard filled with parrots. *sigh*
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby fantasia » Mar 19, 2013 8:23 am

Wagga I totally forgot to thank you for posting that nice big write-up about your agriculture. I really appreciated it and it was very interesting to read, so thank you! :)
So yesterday and today were actually rather nice. Much cooler than last week, I think in the upper 50Fs, but bright and sunny and pleasant. Still curious about this winter weather that's going to show up here in a couple days.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby stargazer » Mar 20, 2013 9:24 am

Welcome to spring! The March equinox came at 1102 UTC today (6.02 am local daylight time), with the sun directly above the earth's equator on its apparent journey north. (Autumn begins in the Southern Hemisphere).

But what a beginning to spring! Today's forecast high is 19F/-7C, the coldest first day of spring locally since 1965. The wind chill is -6F/-21C and there's plenty of snow on the ground outside. Tonight's forecast low is -1F/-18C.

I'd better enjoy it. ;)) The heat, humidity and mosquitoes will be here soon enough!
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Mar 21, 2013 4:11 am

DiGoRyKiRkE wrote:I can't stop gushing over this paragraph, Wagga. . . . I couldn't imagine what it would be like to wake up to a backyard filled with parrots. *sigh*

You're welcome, DiGoRyKiRkE and Fantasia_Kitty! ;))

Actually the sulphur-crested cockatoos don't go into backyards much. A good thing, too, since household pets can't be trained to read bird manuals on what is legitimate prey and what is a protected species. They much prefer the parks and reserves near here, unfenced front yards and the trees planted on the nature strips, either side of the footpaths along the road. They have been in my front yard but went before I could get my camera. We have also seen egrets wandering around here.

The pink and grey galahs seem to be quite cavalier with traffic, much like their human counterparts, who also like to goof around after a shower of rain. ;) The best place to see birds is in one of our wildlife sanctuaries, or in picnic areas in the bush or at more isolated beaches where lorikeets, rosellas and even the Major Mitchell parrots like to hang around. Or else go for a drive in the Blue Mountains, up the Nepean Gorge or on the way to Kurrajong, where the calls of bellbirds would be "running and ringing" in the bushland.

It is the autumn equinox today but the weather is back to being quite warm again. It looks like we might get some rain at last by the weekend. I hope so. We don't get leaves changing colour here, unless they are European trees. Eucalypts shed their bark rather than their leaves.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Puddleglum » Mar 21, 2013 8:19 pm

Sounds like a lively flock of birds you have there wagga. While we have no parrots here there are enough of our year round sparrows to keep the feeders empty. The last two weeks or so I have been greeted in the morning to the call of a robin. Poor fellow is probably wondering if he took a wrong turn near Iowa.
Hoping the temps are a little warmer in Iowa. The offspring, and I are off to a Christian Sportsmen's retreat. It's supposed to be mid 30's here, so we might see 10, to 15 degrees warmer there.
I guess I should be glad not to have freezing rain.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby King_Erlian » Mar 22, 2013 2:19 am

Heavy snow and strong winds across England this morning. Our church weekend away in the Lake District may well be ruined. :(
King_Erlian
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Aslanisthebest » Mar 22, 2013 9:03 am

It's officially spring here now. One of the most loveliest things is winter turning into spring: suddenly the wind doesn't have a bite to it. The longer days are also the best.(though I do miss that hour...) However, despite it being spring and all, it has been rather chilly still, but the sun being out longer seems to help that some. My cat has stopped sulking miserably around the house since we let her go out for a little bit so she could taste a bit of the coming spring. :P
RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

Postby fantasia » Mar 24, 2013 3:56 am

Aslanisthebest wrote:It's officially spring here now.
It's officially not spring here. ;)) And aren't you a lot farther north than me? ;))

Well our last minute winter storm came rolling through yesterday morning, but has really hit us overnight. I believe we were predicted to get over 4" of snow and I look outside and I believe it. This is officially the latest winter storm I ever remember, and I don't ever remember getting snow past the first day of spring.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Aslanisthebest » Mar 24, 2013 3:34 pm

Haha! Yeah, I am pretty north.... but I guess the weather is being funny. ;)) They predicted snow for us today, but we didn't get it. I'm looking forward to spring, so I don't terribly mind the snow's averting us, but I won't be surprised if it comes over the week.
RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

Postby stargazer » Mar 24, 2013 5:51 pm

It is kind of odd being too far north to get snow. ;)) Nothing here...just a thick layer of clouds generated by this storm.

St Louis, on the other hand, is reporting close to a foot of snow, with Indianapolis in the crosshairs next.
stargazer

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Mar 25, 2013 2:15 am

fantasia_kitty wrote:Well our last minute winter storm came rolling through yesterday morning, but has really hit us overnight. I believe we were predicted to get over 4" of snow and I look outside and I believe it. This is officially the latest winter storm I ever remember, and I don't ever remember getting snow past the first day of spring.

It could be worse. It isn't very usual to get snow in Sydney at any time of the year, according to this Wikipedia article, but it does happen more often than is thought. In 2010 and in other years, it has snowed at Christmas and in January in Victoria. This year, on January 4th, it seems that New Zealand got snow in Wanaka and Queenstown, in the snow regions. It seems odd to get snow in midsummer. ;))

It is still far too warm for this time of year, with temperatures of 31C or more (late 80's and early 90's F). There are moments that are quite delicious if it was mid-summer, such as early morning or in the evenings, but mid-afternoon we are in the doldrums. And there was a quite severe tornado last weekend, in several townships along the NSW/Victoria border.

As an ignorant newbie Aussie, could I please ask when is the official start of summer in North America? And how cold would you have rated this last winter in comparison to earlier years? And also this March?
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

PreviousNext