This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Everyone Talks About the Weather...

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Everyone Talks About the Weather...

Postby stargazer » Feb 25, 2013 4:56 pm

Doesn't the Tropic of Cancer go through USA at all?

Yes and no. ;))

Parts of Hawaii lie south of the Tropic of Cancer, but the southernmost part of the continental 48 states is in Florida, about 1 degree north of the Tropic of Cancer.

(Random note: the northernmost point in the Lower 48 is the Northwest Angle of Minnesota (at 49 degrees 23 minutes north) even though some map projections make it look like Maine is farther north (47.46 degrees north).

It looks like Kansas is getting hit hard again, with Kansas City in line for up to a foot of snow or more over the next day or so. This storm ("Rocky") was originally forecast to give us significant snow this week but has stayed too far south. It's expected to track across Missouri and give Chicago up to 8 inches of snow.

It was rather warm here today (about 35F/2C) and some of our snow has melted. The rest of the month is expected to be cloudy as the winter storm passes by.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby SnowAngel » Feb 25, 2013 5:06 pm

How come Kansas gets all of the snow??? It's not fair, my cousins don't even appreciate it!

It's been sunny and 50s here the past few days. Going to get a slightly cool, in the mid 30s with some rain and maybe a little bit of snow.

This has to be one of the most boring winters ever, very little snow and in the 40s and 50s most of the time.

SnowAngel
We are too prone to engrave our trials in marble
and write our blessings in sand. — C.H. Spurgeon
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby fantasia » Feb 26, 2013 5:24 pm

SnowAngel wrote:How come Kansas gets all of the snow??? It's not fair, my cousins don't even appreciate it!
Your cousins aren't farmers are they? ;)) Well, we got 14.2" in storm Q and then another 6+" in Rocky. I heard we need another 10 feet of snow to end the drought, but I'm very thankful for the couple feet we got. :)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Feb 26, 2013 6:22 pm

You've got a storm called Rocky? Well we have another one in the Pilbara area called Rusty. That is in Western Australia, in the North West at Port Hedland. By the look of it, Rusty is big enough to swamp the whole of the Australian Mainland.

Temperatures have been steamy rather than too hot here. The Queensland coast from Gympie down to NSW has dealt with floods for the fourth time this summer, and now there is Rusty. 8-|
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Puddleglum » Mar 03, 2013 9:21 pm

Here comes the next blow folks. The local news is projecting nine inches for central Minnesota through the day tomorrow. Looks like I get to follow the snowblower one more time before spring.
And the Dairy Queen just opened for the season down the street last week.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Mar 03, 2013 9:50 pm

Nothing like a frosty DQ treat in a snowstorm, eh, Puddleglum? ;))

The prediction is 6-12 inches here in the Twin Cities area. Still, we need the moisture. The latest Drought Monitor shows our area in severe drought with 25% of the state (much of the southern Minnesota agricultural land) in extreme drought.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby fantasia » Mar 04, 2013 2:52 am

During our snowstorm, I know several friends and family who made Snow Ice Cream. Admittedly, I'm not sure what that is. I assume you just replace the ice with the snow? ;))

Anyways, I believe we have reverted back to normal on our snowstorm status. ;) You guys up north are getting loads of snow and we are getting, probably nothing. We do have a slight chance for some rain/snow mix here, but I doubt we'll get anything.

Yesterday was very nice outside. I saw the vast majority of snow in my backyard melt away. Though on the shady side of our house we still have snow a couple inches deep.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby stargazer » Mar 05, 2013 10:51 am

Despite living in snow country I've never made snow ice cream.

Just a few days ago our snow was melting too...I could even see bits of open ground out there.

Now there's a fresh coat of about 8 inches (203mm) everywhere, and I should go out and dig out my car. ;)) Still, it is pretty. Another inch or two is expected before this storm moves away to the east (where Chicago and even Washington DC may get comparable snow totals).

The Weather Channel is calling this winter storm Saturn - but when they talk about "Tracking Saturn" I'm tempted to make a snarky remark about Saturn being in Libra, just where it's supposed to be. ;))
stargazer

Postby fantasia » Mar 06, 2013 9:16 am

Oh, snarky comments and Weather Channel go together quite often in my house. My husband and I make fun of them all the time, and for the most part, I think it's pretty well deserved. ;)) I haven't been able to take them seriously as a channel showing weather ever since they showed Misery a couple years back. (We've called it the Non-Weather Channel ever since as it's hard to catch weather....)
Just a couple weekends ago we had it on in the background as we were trying to watch out for the winter storms coming through, when all of a sudden we realized that we were hearing about how the world would be destroyed if the other planets weather was here on Earth. :)) I suppose it could have been an interesting show learning about the weather on other planets, except they hired the production team from It Could Happen Tomorrow and they were all dramatic about how the White House would be blown to smitherines... yeah. :))

Anyways, we actually got some rain from Winter Storm Saturn. I was not expecting that at all. More moisture, hooray! :D And then the big weather news I'm excited about is that we are going to be getting our first taste of spring this week. The highs are supposed to jump to the mid-60s tomorrow AND they're predicting our first thunderstorms this weekend. \:D/
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby stargazer » Mar 06, 2013 11:06 am

Ah, spring. ;)) It was in the 60s around here this time last year, with 80s not far off. What a difference a year makes! We may reach 40F this weekend, with a chance of a rain and snow mixture.

I find that Weather Channel series, Deadliest Space Weather, interesting in an "astronomy lite" sort of way, but that "what if it happened here" can be a bit silly. I suppose showing an earth-based hurricane analog to Jupiter's Great Red Spot (or flash-evaporating Lake Michigan to illustrate Venus' runaway greenhouse effect) can help us better visualize these things.
stargazer

Postby SnowAngel » Mar 06, 2013 3:06 pm

fantasia_kitty wrote:
SnowAngel wrote:How come Kansas gets all of the snow??? It's not fair, my cousins don't even appreciate it!
Your cousins aren't farmers are they? ;)) Well, we got 14.2" in storm Q and then another 6+" in Rocky. I heard we need another 10 feet of snow to end the drought, but I'm very thankful for the couple feet we got. :)
Nope not farmers, just town people! With a medium sized garden. :) My cousin told me they had 13 inches and she didn't even go outside! 8-|

Finally we have had snow that stayed all day! :D It started snowing late yesterday afternoon, we got about half to three-quarters of an inch. And there is still some on the ground. Great weather for using the hot tub! ;)

SnowAngel
We are too prone to engrave our trials in marble
and write our blessings in sand. — C.H. Spurgeon
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby Puddleglum » Mar 06, 2013 4:30 pm

fantasia_kitty. I wonder if what you are talking about is anything like what was done by maple sugar, or syrup makers in the spring when there was still snow on the ground.
Fresh snow, ( you never want to use the old stuff ;) ) would be brought inside, on a plate where the maple sap was boiled. They would take some of the thick leftover stuff in the kettle, and pour it on the plate of snow, and there ya go, instant treat for the kids. ( and some adults if any was left :(( ).
We received a good foot here. Local news said about 7, to 9 inches, but adding up the three times I went out to move three to four adds up to about a foot to me. Ah whadda they know [-(
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Mar 07, 2013 2:29 am

Thank you, fantasia_kitty and stargazer for the info about the Tropic of Cancer and USA. Recently we were watching a program which followed the presenter's travels along the Tropic of Capricorn. He started at Namibia, went through Botswana, Mozambique and Madagascar, crossing Australia, of course, from probably north of Caernarvon, WA, through Alice Springs (and Uluru) to Longreach and Rockhampton in Queensland, before going to Antofagasta, Chile, Northern Argentina, Paraguay and ending at Rio or somewhere near, in Brazil.

I missed most of the Australian leg, which I would have liked to see. But I've also wondered what a similar program would look like along the Tropic of Cancer, and what countries would be involved. And yes, I wondered if or where it would touch USA.

Enjoy the snow and coolness whilst you still have it, believe me. It is supposed to be Autumn here, Down Under, and for a day or two it even felt like it, being quite cool. But it is still hot, though not quite as bad as beforehand. The humidity is getting to me though, and Northern Territory, northern Western Australia and Queensland still getting cyclones apparently.

I don't think we could afford a winter that is too mild.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby fantasia » Mar 09, 2013 9:03 am

wagga wrote:Recently we were watching a program which followed the presenter's travels along the Tropic of Capricorn.
Oooh, that would be interesting. :)

wagga wrote:I don't think we could afford a winter that is too mild.
Stupid, newbie American question. ;)) What kind of agriculture do you have in Australia? Kansas is almost entirely agriculture, we grow mostly wheat and raise cattle, so that's why we're so dependent on rain (or snow) here.

Speaking of which, it's raining right now :D :D :D and I've heard a few peals of thunder as well. \:D/
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby stargazer » Mar 09, 2013 2:42 pm

Lots of rain here too, fantasia, though no thunder I'm aware of. The ground is frozen and the snow is rapidly melting, so there's scattered flooding. The inch or so of rain forecast here today won't help the drought much since it's all running off. Fog and freezing rain are in the cards for the next 24 hours, with snow coming tomorrow too (we're on the edge of another storm moving northeast through Kansas toward Iowa and Wisconsin; Des Moines may get up to a foot of snow tomorrow).

Much of North America "springs ahead" tonight to Daylight Saving Time...making for later sunsets and later stargazing sessions.
stargazer

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Mar 09, 2013 8:08 pm

fantasia_kitty wrote:Stupid, newbie American question. ;)) What kind of agriculture do you have in Australia? Kansas is almost entirely agriculture, we grow mostly wheat and raise cattle, so that's why we're so dependent on rain (or snow) here.

I was watching a program on Friday night about the Dust Bowl of the 1930's, which will finish next week. It appears that Kansas is semi-arid in climate and too much tilling, not enough planting of trees, a too-great reliance on grain-growing, and a prolonged drought led to those disastrous conditions.

Much of Australia is also semi-arid, just like New Mexico (the program did mention that state), Colorado, Texas, Kansas, Arkansas and Oklahoma. We also tend to have similar sorts of weather conditions. Except for some reason our tornados don't ever seem as bad as yours. But then our mountains aren't so high either. Nor do we have rivers as big, as long and with so much water as the Colorado, the Missouri, the Mississippi and other subsidiary waterways that I may not know off-hand. During drought conditions we have also had dust storms, in particular at the end of 2009. The two dust storms had a distinctly reddish tinge, since they came off the desert in Western New South Wales.

In Queensland along the coast we get sugar-cane farming, centred around Mackay. I know all about that, since I still have relatives involved in that industry, I believe. There, as well as northern New South Wales, they also grow tropical fruits like pineapple, rockmelons (cantaloupes) and bananas, which is why Queenslanders are jokingly called banana-benders, elsewhere in Australia. Some of the crops we grow further inland and in the south include wheat, canola, corn and fruit. In some parts of New South Wales we even have cotton-growing, though this is a water-intensive crop to grow.

Wine-making is quite an industry in most states of Australia, especially around the Margaret River area in Western Australia (near -comparatively speaking- to where IloveFauns is), the Barossa Valley near where W4J is situated, and in the Hunter Valley, north of here. Some of our best agricultural land in NSW is around the Riverina area. This is around the Lachlan, Murrumbidgee, Murray and Darling Rivers. The Darling, which flows into the Murray river, and some of the Darling's tributaries such as the Castlereagh, Macquarie and others have a distressing tendency to dry up during drought conditions.

We, that is, Australia as a whole, rear beef cattle in Northern Australia for export, whether WA, Qld or NT. We have dairying along the New South Wales southern coast, down into Victoria, and in Tasmania, in particular. We also raise sheep for wool and meat, as well as other livestock, like chickens, pigs etc. When there is a drought or worse, a bushfire, there is a lot of suffering involved. Flooding, and the damage it causes, can be also fairly horrendous for the farmers. The toll on native wild-life isn't helpful, either, since these animals are what makes this country unique in the world.

We also have mining, as well as manufacturing in most Australian cities. Possibly Canberra is an exception due to it's being the capital of Australia.

I hope that answers your quite reasonable question. ;)) Our daylight-saving doesn't stop until the end of March.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

PreviousNext