This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Musicians' Café

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Musicians' Café

Postby winterlife » Mar 16, 2012 2:06 pm

Princess Anna: Well, I don't find an F chord that hard, even when I don't play the cheater version, but it is usually hard for beginning guitarists. If you already have strong hands, I wouldn't expect it to be much of a problem. Question: do you barre it? (use one finger to hold down all strings while playing others) How are you playing your F? I'm glad you aren't having trouble, though! :)

=)) Sorry... it's just that "They'll Know We Are Christians By Our Love" was the second song I ever learned on guitar. Imagine that! :p
Hoot Owl of NarniaWeb!
Relient K club member
avie and siggie by me
NWtwin:Sleepwalking NWsibs:8
winterlife
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Princess Anna » Mar 16, 2012 2:21 pm

Re the song: I don't know whether that is my first or second. I mean, Dad showed me that one first, but I was having a little trouble, and got bored. So, I found the other one, and after playing it for awhile, I switched back to the one you mentioned. (and it went easier that time. but still... ick)

Re the F chord: As for how I play it... I wonder if there's a way to show you. Hmmm....
But no, I'm not doing what you described. (that's why I wonder if it's a cheater version ;)) ) *tries to think of a way to show you*

edit:
OH! I found someone on youtube who shows people how to do it the way I learned! (though again, I figured it out on my own, looking at a paper. and maybe there is a slight difference on which of the first two fingers go where) Here ya go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFRobCjN ... re=related

(I forget how to make the video show up on here)
Princess Anna
Moderator Emeritus
the Resident Troublemaker

Postby Princess Anna » Mar 17, 2012 1:47 pm

24 hours later...
Sick of me yet? :p

I've learned a few more chords! (D, A, F#m, and Bm) So, now I know a total of 9 chords! :D

Crazy right? :-o But that's not all!

Because I know more now, that opens up more songs to me. Today I discovered I know the chords for (at least) two of my dad's songs*! :D :D

*When I was little, he had a band with people from our church. And he wrote pretty much all of their songs. Hearing those... it's probably the main reason I wanted to learn. I wanted to play them for myself, so I can still hear/sing them someday when he goes to Heaven. (which hopefully is a LONG ways off) But yeah... I CAN PLAY TWO OF THEM NOW!!!!! :D :D :D Not the way he does, not yet... but I'll get there. So, I'm a happy girl.

Anyway, I'm surprised I can play today... I played for two hours (for sure; plus a bit more) yesterday. So I've been kinda sore. (was really sore last night) Oh, well... you do what you have to do, right? ;)

Ok, I want to run through them one more time before I stop for today. So, I'm gonna go now. See ya later! :-h
Princess Anna
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Andrew » Mar 18, 2012 11:35 pm

Glad to hear you're making progress, Princess Anna! I thought of a couple small things I didn't include the other day, things I did not know about when I started playing guitar that I wish I had: Rythm! Since a lot of us play guitar by ourselves, it is easy to forget to have good timing and whatnot, especially since you're not playing from sheet music. If you have a metronome, it's a great excercise to set it at a manageable pace and just play (for now) chords, one per beat, or play a strumming pattern on time with it. Also, memorize the strings' note names. If you don't know them yet, they are (from thickest to thinnest): E A D G B e. This will come in very helpful later on when you start applying music theory and scales. Glad you're having fun and keep up the good work! You'll be rocking out in no time! :D
5.9.2011 the day Christ saved me!

Thank you Lady Faith for the sig!
Andrew
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Princess Anna » May 15, 2012 3:28 pm

Thanks again for all the advice so far, Andrew! Especially this:

Also, memorize the strings' note names. If you don't know them yet, they are (from thickest to thinnest): E A D G B e. This will come in very helpful later on when you start applying music theory and scales.

That helps a lot!

I don't remember how far along I was when I last wrote in here...
But I know I know a good amount of chords, and that I know more songs than I did back then.

Anyway, I wanted you to know I haven't given up. In fact, a couple weeks ago, I actually started adding chords to song lyrics I wrote back in high school! So, that's really cool! (no more doing them a capella!!) One is done, another is started. That's how far I am on that. (and might I say, it's been way fun playing the finished one, knowing that all of it came from MY BRAIN)

Question, though... what's a good way to learn how to tune it?
I can't keep asking my dad... he's busy, and doesn't like constantly fixing it. And when he does, he uses an electric tuner most the time. (but he keeps that at church, as that is where he most often needs/uses it)

One of my friends (Pastor's son) said that "you should have him teach you how" and I was like "What, like have him stand there, guiding me, while I do it?" "Yeah"

Well, I don't know if that'll happen... at least any time soon. And it's kind of hard to practice with an out of tune instrument (as I don't want to get used to the sound). So, thoughts on what I should do? I miss playing! :(
Princess Anna
Moderator Emeritus

Postby King_Erlian » May 16, 2012 4:13 am

How long have you been playing?

I started learning guitar when I was 7 (41 years ago), drums when I was 11 (37 years ago) and bass guitar when I was 18 (30 years ago). I'm still only OK on all of them. Also started learning piano two months ago - this week's task is to master "London Bridge Is Falling Down", playing three-note chords with the left hand and the melody with the right. And I sing.

Have you performed in public?

I've played in amateur and semi-professional bands over the years, playing pop/rock cover versions from the '50s onwards in pubs. I've also been singing/acting in amateur productions of Gilbert & Sullivan operas since 1986, sometimes in the chorus and sometimes as a principal baritone.

Are there instruments you don't play that you would like to learn?

I've tried to learn flute and trumpet but I literally couldn't get a note out of them. I've got to Grade 2 on the bagpipes but I've had to give them up as I've a lung problem.

What type of music do you prefer to play?

Would love to play in a Pink Floyd tribute band. Or a Mud tribute band. (NarniaWebbers on the west side of the Pond probably won't have heard of Mud - they were a pop/rock band whose biggest successes in the British charts were in the mid-'70s.) Singing: I prefer singing G&S to my own stuff.

Do you write music or lyrics of your own?

I've lost count of how many songs I've written - well over a hundred, but nothing published, despite trying. While at uni I wrote a rock opera called "Locusts And Honey" about the life of John the Baptist as described in the Gospels, but it hasn't been performed in 25 years. :-( I've also written a score for a musical play Gilbert wrote without Sullivan, called "A Sensation Novel" (most of the original music from 1871 had been lost). It was performed at the International Gilbert & Sullivan Festival in England in 1999. Would love to get even one song published and recorded by people who can really play and sing.
King_Erlian
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby darkhorseD » Jan 08, 2013 7:36 pm

I've been playing guitar for well over 5 years, and I've been singing much longer (not sure exactly how long, but probably about 10 years)
I have performed in public several times
I would love to learn how to play the violin
I personally love to play acoustic style songs and anything done by Owl City, Switchfoot and Relient K
I've tried and failed epicly
darkhorseD
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby darkhorseD » Jan 13, 2013 6:27 am

I ran this past the moderators, but I'd like to find out your opinion on this. I'm thinking of starting up a musical themed section of the site where everyone who wants to can work together to sing a song for all to hear. Thoughts?
Tick tock, tick tock
Goes the clock
Here comes your final hour

Best use it well
But remember yourselves
The worlds left in its wake
darkhorseD
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby MinotaurforAslan » Jan 15, 2013 11:31 am

Sounds like a very specific concept, probably could be done with a single topic instead of a whole section of the site.
MinotaurforAslan
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby darkhorseD » Jan 16, 2013 7:27 pm

yeah, that actually might be better
Tick tock, tick tock
Goes the clock

Best use it well
But remember yourselves
darkhorseD
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby darkhorseD » Jan 24, 2013 5:49 pm

So, I just got the go ahead to do this from the mods, is there anyone interested in doing this?
Tick tock, tick tock
Goes the clock

Best use it well
But remember yourselves
darkhorseD
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Andrew » Jan 24, 2013 10:28 pm

I've been playing guitar for about 2 years, piano for about a year but I hardly ever touch the piano.

Yes, I played a coffee shop with a friend once and I've done a couple of recitals in the past.

I would like to learn snare drum but I don't have the time or money to pick it up. If I could go back in time I would have learned drums when I was younger but I'm not interested enough to put the proper amount of time into learning it now.

I love to play blues, acoustic stuff, some rock, anything by John Mayer

When inspiration hits, I will, but alas, I write better without a guitar for some reason.
5.9.2011 the day Christ saved me!

Thank you Lady Faith for the sig!
Andrew
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby RubyGamgee » Jul 17, 2013 11:29 am

I recently completed this cover of "Jessica's Theme (Breaking in The Colt)" by Bruce Rowland from the movie "The Man From Snowy River" and put it on my YouTube channel. If you follow the link below in my signature to either my blog or my YouTube, you can check it out and let me know what you think. I would appreciate it!

Have any of you seen that movie, by the way? If not, you should! Even if you are not a fan of horses or old westerns, it is worth the watch simply for the music...the music is so pretty. :)

Now for this questionnaire...

I have been playing piano since I was about...twelve? But I didn't start lessons until I was sixteen, so about 3 and a half years now. I am a music education major and chiefly play classical music on the piano, though I like to play any music varying from my favorite Broadway musicals or random covers of my favorite artist's music.

I started playing the penny whistle about three years ago for dance recitals, but I just recently started getting into Irish music and pursuing it on my own and learning more and more tunes.

I love playing Irish music and this last winter I picked up my father's ancient accordion and started playing it. I only really play Irish music on it, but the instrument is so perfectly suited for this genre. I get together with groups of Irish musicians and we play in what Irish musicians call "sessions" for hours at a time. It's so fun!

Yes. I have always sung in choir growing up as well as played in violin recitals (when I took violin). I gave a senior piano/voice recital when I graduated from high school. That was my first experiencing performing on the piano since I didn't start lessons until high school. And then for college, I am required to perform on the piano solo for student recitals and studio class as well as sing...and I also accompany a children's choir.

I play my penny whistle and accordion for my dance school's Irish dance recitals, which is really fun and probably what I enjoy performing on the most. Performing on the piano is like going through a traumatic experience. I don't understand what is so nerve-racking about it. I don't get nervous performing while singing solo, dancing solo, or playing any other instrument...except on the piano.

Yes! I really, really want to take up the Irish flute. Also, I think it would be cool to learn the mandolin as well as the guitar at some point. The Irish flute just has this beautiful, airy, rustic sound to it that I love...and I have a natural knack for the flute, which is weird. I kind of want to learn the guitar just because it's the kind of instrument people expect all musicians to know how to play. And then I like the mandolin because the fingering is just like playing a violin, which I played for several years when I was a child. The mandolin has such a cheery happy sound to it. My sister owns one and I've messed around with playing tunes on it and I even mastered some chords...would love to get lessons.

I wish. Someday. I fully intend to, but right now I feel like I lack the capacity as well as the skill. I love making covers of songs, but as far as poetry and composing lyrics and music...nah. Not yet.
blog | graphics | youtube channel
member of the Tenth Ave. North club
Keeper of the Secret Magic
1 Peter 3:15
RubyGamgee
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby De_De » Jul 19, 2013 11:27 am

Heeey guys :) haven't been here in ages. I remember posting here like a couple of years ago when I just started learning to play the balalaika (a traditional Russian instrument). A lot of you guys probably don't know what it is, so here is a video of me playing on my graduation from music school this May :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSAKEX2qJTM
Founder of the Exploring Narnia Club (PM me to join)
Member of the Dragon Club
De_De
NarniaWeb Guru
The Sunny Vitamin D (BC, retired)

Location: exploring Narnia with Frodo and Lady Courage (and a bunch of great NarniaWebbers) in Obi's spaceship

Previous