This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Fabulous Fashion

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Fabulous Fashion

Postby Queen Susan » Jan 12, 2012 10:28 am

^Ooh, I like those earrings! =)

So my brother is getting married in April. I'm not in the wedding, but I want to wear something nice. :p It's an evening wedding, but not the type where everyone's going to be wearing floor length dresses.
I'm basically at a loss for what to wear... I guess maybe we'll go Goodwill shopping one of these days, :p but I don't know...
Queen Susan
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Whistling Welcomer

Postby Elanor » Jan 12, 2012 12:06 pm

How exciting!! Congratulations, Queen Susan!! :ymhug:
I've fallen in love with the site Pinterest. It's wonderful for finding fabulous fashion (as well as everything else. :D).
And my sister bought two dresses from Modcloth which are on their way. They're both really cute, and I'm just hoping that one of them fits me instead of her, so I can buy it from her. :P
NW sisters Lyn, Lia, and Rose
RL sister Destined_to_Reign
Member of the Tenth Avenue North and Pixar Club
Dubbed The Ally Of Epic Awesomeness by Libby
Elanor
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby IloveFauns » Jan 13, 2012 4:47 pm

what types of materials do you like susan? which type of dress would you rather wear?
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Queen Susan » Jan 15, 2012 9:21 pm

^ I guess I don't want it to be the stiff "prom dress" material. More soft and flowy. The main problem I have is that I want it to be a little past my knees. That's probably the hardest thing to find right now. :p
Queen Susan
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Whistling Welcomer

Postby IloveFauns » Jan 16, 2012 4:15 am

I am not sure what you like and this might not seem "wedding like" to you but are you looking for something around this length?

IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Lady Arwen » Jan 16, 2012 2:51 pm

So you're wanting more of a loose, flowy material...like a grecian sort of look? Something more like this? Or something that just won't get in your way?
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby StudyMate » Jan 18, 2012 6:18 am

Speaking of floor length dresses, how gorgeous is this maxi-
http://www.romwe.com/retro-nude-maxi-dress-p-25913.html

Makes me wish I was the tall sort. :)
Love is the answer
At least for most of the questions
In my heart. Like why are we here?
And where do we go? And how come it's so hard?
~Jack Johnson

thanks to Lys for my avvy :)
StudyMate
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Queen Susan » Jan 24, 2012 8:18 pm

Thanks for the super cute suggestions, everyone!

My mom and I went shopping yesterday and I ended up getting this dress, though in a smaller size:

I'm quite happy with it - it's not *amazing*, but I like it, and it will fit my qualifications when I'm done. (Plus the wedding color is purple; I didn't want something completely that color, but highlights of it were nice.) =)
I'm just in charge of the guestbook, so I don't need something really fancy. :) Something a little nicer would have been okay with me, but I'll be happy with this. :D
Queen Susan
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Whistling Welcomer

Postby IloveFauns » Jan 24, 2012 9:16 pm

That will be fine for your part in the wedding. At least you found something nice.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Elanor » Jan 25, 2012 1:21 pm

Very cute dress, Queen Susan, I'm glad you found it!!
I hope the wedding goes wonderfully! :)
NW sisters Lyn, Lia, and Rose
RL sister Destined_to_Reign
Member of the Tenth Avenue North and Pixar Club
Dubbed The Ally Of Epic Awesomeness by Libby
Elanor
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Lady Arwen » Apr 16, 2012 7:30 pm

I've been dress shopping lately. I need a new long black dress (apparently, in a fit of spring or fall cleaning at some point, I gave my old one away--probably because it was a size too small half the time. ;)) ).

ANYway, Rosie and I have come up with two that we both like, buuut, I'm not sure I like the fabric. There is this dress, which I love the beading and shoulder on, but I'm not so sure how the hanging part would do under a wrap, and then this one from Nordstrom's, which I love the streamlined simplicity of, however, I don't care for jersey fabrics. I might cave, though--that is always a possibility. ;))

What do you girls think? Do you have any preferences? What does your idea of a versatile formal dress look like?
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby Gymfan15 » Apr 17, 2012 6:48 pm

I definitely prefer the second dress...I don't like the beading on the first one; it hits an awkward place, I think. I don't particularly care for jersey fabrics either but if it's a nice dress, then I say go for it.

In other news, I finally decided what I'm wearing to a friend's wedding in a few weeks. It's going to be a coral dress that I got at JCPenney last year and never had a chance to wear. It needs just the tiniest alteration on the straps and I want to try and add a lace panel to the front because it's too low-cut...anyone have any suggestions regarding that?

Anyway, this is a pic that I found of the dress on the internet; granted it's pretty blown-out so you can't see the color well. The fabric is a really georgeous brocade-type fabric that just shimmers. :D

http://images1.chictopia.com/photos/Mon ... ag_400.jpg

It's going to be an outdoor wedding and it can be pretty cold here in May, so I'm thinking it will be really cute with a white cardigan.

Anyway, I'm excited to get to dress up because I hardly ever get to. :p
Gymfan15
Moderator Emeritus
Giver of Prestigious NarniaWeb Taglines™

Postby Aslanisthebest » Jun 23, 2012 12:58 pm

*wanders into this unposted-in-for-some-time-thread*

Wandering around etsy, and I saw this:

Vest :o :O :-o It's so beautiful! It's so perfect! I have no idea if it's in my size, but ahh! It's just what I like. I imagine it'd look very nice paired with a long-sleeved white or blue shirt over a black or grey skirt with cabled stockings. *is going to knit this thing or something if it's not in her size/she can't get it* ;))

And this dress. <3 I'm not sure what those necklines are called, but it's definitely my favourite on dresses (and of course the rarest to find, for me) Not too keen on the color of the dress, but the design is so nice I'd probably wear it with a black cardigan to tone it down. ;)) Probably never going to buy it, but I can dream.

Lighthouse Button *heartmelt*

Lighthouse chain *wuv*

Tiny Typewriter This is unbelievably cute.
RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

Postby SnowAngel » Sep 28, 2012 5:47 pm

My sister found this awesome coat on Etsy. http://www.etsy.com/listing/89042841/th ... d=12654276 I love the color! :)

And this beret. http://www.etsy.com/listing/87529698/pa ... -tam-beret I'm going to see if I can talk my little sister into making me one that is similiar . :)

And I love this necklace! http://www.etsy.com/listing/101854525/a ... n-necklace The colors are awesome! :D

SnowAngel
We are too prone to engrave our trials in marble
and write our blessings in sand. — C.H. Spurgeon
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby IloveFauns » Jan 24, 2013 3:35 am

I just bought these two jackets for the coming winter from etsy, I won't be able to wear them to the end of April.

here is the first one

here is the other one:

Both are 1980's vintage and for that the prices were very fair.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Aslanisthebest » Jan 24, 2013 9:19 am

Oh my word, ILF, those jackets are beautiful! I really like the collars and the elegant way the buttons are arranged. Makes me wish I could pull off that style. You'll have to show us a picture when you get them! :D
RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

PreviousNext