This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Food for Thought (and Discussion)

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Food for Thought (and Discussion)

Postby Horse_Lover » Sep 05, 2009 3:40 pm

Let's talk about everything that has to do with cooking! :) I like decorating cakes mostly, but I haven't done that many.
I've made cookies and bread before also. :)
What do all you like to do? Please post it here.

If there is already a thread similer to this, please close it Mods. :ymblushing:

Mod Note from fantasia_kitty, April 16, 2012:
The other mods and I have decided to change this thread into a general food discussion thread. Pretty much everybody likes to eat, but not everybody likes to cook. Feel free to discuss anything related to food in this thread! :)
Nweb twin to ValiantPrincess, and Nweb sis to elvenbug
Proud member of the 10th Avenue North club!
Horse_Lover
NarniaWeb Junkie

Re: Cooking/Cake Decorating

Postby Shadowlander » Sep 05, 2009 4:08 pm

Woot! The cooking thread is open again! :D

I don't cook unless it's pre-prepared meals for the most part (Stouffer's and I are real good friends :) ) but tonight I'm grilling some sirloin steaks and loaded baked potatoes. And I'm majorly looking forward to it! B-)

Do you have pics of the cakes you've made/decorated, perchance?
Kennel Keeper of Fenris Ulf

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby SnowAngel » Sep 05, 2009 4:27 pm

Horselover, you're a girl after my own heart. I've been helping with decorating my own and my siblings' birthday cakes for years, but this year I'm going serious and doing my own cake decorating course. I am waiting on my sister Scarlet to order supplies from LorAnn Oils, mostly food coloring. Mom has quite a few Wilton cake decorating tips already, so I don't need to get but one or two of my own.

Now I'm really hungry, Shadowlander, but we're only having frozen pizza (cooked, of course) for our supper tonight. ;) But we do have doughnuts for dessert. :) Um-um, apple fritters...nothing like them!

SnowAngel
We are too prone to engrave our trials in marble
and write our blessings in sand. — C.H. Spurgeon
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby Horse_Lover » Sep 06, 2009 6:36 am

Shadow, I do have some pics, but they are not uploaded yet. I'll try to post them soon. :D MMMM, steak and baked potato sounds really good! :)

Cool Snowangel! :D I just LOOOOVE looking thriough our Wilton cake ooks and dreaming of when I could be that good. :D (Especialy the fancy wedding cakes! :) )
Nweb twin to ValiantPrincess, and Nweb sis to elvenbug
Proud member of the 10th Avenue North club!
Horse_Lover
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Djaq » Sep 06, 2009 2:59 pm

This thread always makes me hungry... /:) (I'm not sure if that's a good thing...)

That's great that you're going to take a cake decorating course, SnowAngel! :D I hope that it goes well for you.
A couple years ago, I took a cake-decorating course with my two sisters (one of them is flambeau). It was neat, and we've made some cakes for people since then.
I'd love to see pictures of your cakes, Horse_Lover, and SnowAngel. :D

This cake is probably my one of favorite ones yet! flambeau made it a couple years ago and I think it turned out great! (our brother was going through a construction course, and we made this for his graduation) :D

I enjoy cooking, and I'm trying to do it more. I think that it's a really important skill that will be valuable to you in the future. :)

~Djaq
When things fall apart, be glue.

Team Hoodie!!
Djaq
Moderator Emeritus
Djaq Of All Trades

Postby Shadowlander » Sep 06, 2009 4:46 pm

Hmmm...Djaq...did you ask the company/manufacturer's permission to use their likeness in the cake? =;

8-} I'm just kidding. That looks wonderfully detailed, all things considered. How on earth did you manage to get the cake to conform to the shape that you wanted?

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby mm1991 » Sep 06, 2009 5:19 pm

I'm good at baking!
Just not that good at cooking!
(I'm working on it!) :p

This week's dessert: Lemon bars!
"Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you!"
- Dr. Seuss

mm1991
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Queen Susan » Sep 06, 2009 5:48 pm

I've taken some cake-decorating classes, but have done nothing to be proud of. ;)) *laugh* Really, I'm not very good at it.

Cooking and baking? Well, I'd say I'm ok. My friend would say I'm wonderful at it. But I'd say she's biased.
Queen Susan
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Whistling Welcomer

Postby SnowAngel » Sep 06, 2009 6:02 pm

Cool cake! B-) I made some chocolate cupcakes last week, I will post pictures of them soon(I don't have the pictures on the computer yet.). I can also post the recipe, if anyone wants it. The hard part of my course is that I'm just using books and practice and, of course, a lot of patience. ;)

Shadowlander, you make 9x13 cake and then cut it to the shape you want. Mom has made lots of cakes that way for my brothers, such as a tank, a cowboy boot, a baseball glove, etc. The hard part is getting the right shape. :-\ That is one of things I need to learn how to do. :D I'm not very good at it, yet. :)

Queen Susan, what do you like to bake the best?

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby briofthesilversea » Sep 07, 2009 9:39 am

I said I would post pictures of the Reservation Style Chicken once I made it. Well, I finally made it, so here are the pictures. And I'll post the recipe under it too, so that no one has to go back into the archives and dig it up. Now with the onions, I didn't do as much, and I diced them and sauteed (sp?) them in the oil. :)

USEIT.JPG
USEIT.JPG (67.32 KiB) Viewed 76282 times
USEIT2.JPG
USEIT2.JPG (63.94 KiB) Viewed 76282 times

2 large onions, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon cooking oil or olive oil
2 cups cooked brown rice
nonstick spray coating
2 1/2 pounds meaty chicken pieces (breasts, thighs, and drumsticks),skinned
1 8 ounce carton plain low fat yogurt
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 cup chopped green or sweet red pepper
2 medium tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
parsley sprigs

In a large skillet cook onion and garlic in hot oil till onion is tender but not brown. Stir in cooked brown rice. Spray a 12 x 7 1/2 x 2 inch baking dish with nonstick spray coating. Spread rice mixture in baking dish. Arrange chicken pieces atop rice. In a mixing bowl stir together yogurt, flour, cumin, ginger, and 1/2
teaspoon salt. Stir in chopped green or sweet red pepper. Spoon over chicken in dish.Bake, covered, in a 350º oven for 50 to 60 minutes or till chicken is tender.
Serve with chopped tomatoes. Garnish with parsley.
briofthesilversea
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Tiana » Sep 07, 2009 12:20 pm

Yay!! This topic is open again.

I found a really good way to make pork.

If you take a pork loin and slice it then let it sit in lemon for about thirty minutes, put garlic salt, and pepper on it, then broil it it tastes REALLY good.
"Whenever you feel like criticizing any one," he told me, "just remember that all the people in this world haven't had the advantages that you've had.”
Tiana
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Wednesday Wonder (BC)

Postby Shadowlander » Sep 07, 2009 4:33 pm

Ti'ana! Long time no see kiddo! Your recipe sounds really good...I imagine it'd be awesome when it's grilled too. :D

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby wisewoman » Sep 08, 2009 9:02 am

This thread is making me hungry!

Thanks for posting your pics and recipe again, bri. It has reminded me to try making that :)

And Tiana, that sounds delicious. Only, I don't know how to broil. It always sounded so complicated to me :ymblushing:
"It is God who gives happiness; for he is the true wealth of men's souls." — Augustine
wisewoman
Moderator Emeritus
The Moddess of Sentence Surgery

Postby AncientEgyptFan » Sep 08, 2009 12:20 pm

Everyone's food looks/sounds wonderful! :D

I like to cook and to decorate cakes. :)

Here are two pictures of a "castle" cake that I made. (Please excuse the messy table. :ymblushing: )

The cake was a chocolate one that I made from scratch and the frosting was also chocolate made from scratch.
The top and sides of the cake are made out of cake/frosting and the towers are made of ice-cream cones turned upside down.

This cake isn't the best that I have made. I think that the frosting was not as stiff as it usually was so the "castle" tended to "sag" a little. In fact, one of the walls seemed determined to fall down! :)
NarniaWeb sib:Narnia_Fan12
AncientEgyptFan
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby SnowAngel » Sep 08, 2009 3:47 pm

Here's the picture.
Chocolate Cupcakes.jpg
Chocolate Cupcakes
Chocolate Cupcakes.jpg (69.87 KiB) Viewed 76240 times

Remember I was just practicing with these cupcakes.

Cool castle, AEF. I think it needs some M&Ms. B-)

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby Tiana » Sep 08, 2009 7:22 pm

WW it really isn't that hard to broil......well, that said, I've only broiled in an electric oven, not a gas one.

Shadowlander, I bet it would work just as good on the grill.

AEF, that's a cool castle cake. I like to decorate things, but rarely do it cause my family isn't very fond of icing.

SA, those look delicious!
"Whenever you feel like criticizing any one," he told me, "just remember that all the people in this world haven't had the advantages that you've had.”
Tiana
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Wednesday Wonder (BC)

Next