This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Video games

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Video games

Postby Watziznehm » Nov 16, 2009 3:52 pm

Yes Iwo Jima was a beast! The airfield was it's crucial point. Whoever had the airfield basically controlled the battlefield.

Battle of the Bulge was a beast if you were fighting on the American side. If you were fighting on the German side it was easier.

And now, the most popular map in Battlefield franchise history: Wake Island. It really is an awesome map, so much so that they re-made it for Battlefield 2 and again for Battlefield 1943. That's how good it is. :D

By the way, if your into FPS and like the good old days of single player then you should check out the 10th Anniversary Edition of Medal of Honor. It includes all the Medal of Honors in one whole package. The old original was rather hilarious as far as graphics go but shooting pixelly enemy's turned out to be a riot anyway.
Sig by greenleaf23.
Watziznehm
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Shadowlander » Nov 16, 2009 4:58 pm

Watz wrote:And now, the most popular map in Battlefield franchise history: Wake Island. It really is an awesome map, so much so that they re-made it for Battlefield 2 and again for Battlefield 1943. That's how good it is.

Oh Wake Island (the game, not the historical) was a blast. BF1942 was a real pain to run on my older PC and it was sluggish at best, but I used to like to make it as difficult as possible just to see how long I could hold out. Due to the graphics burden on my old PC I could only play solo but I didn't care. I used to just climb into the shore battery and blast away at landing craft and the destroyer patrolling just off the coast. And this was one of the games that made me fall in love with the M1 Garand. I also have quite a soft spot for the BAR, despite its 20 round capacity. What a machine!

Watz wrote:By the way, if your into FPS and like the good old days of single player then you should check out the 10th Anniversary Edition of Medal of Honor. It includes all the Medal of Honors in one whole package. The old original was rather hilarious as far as graphics go but shooting pixelly enemy's turned out to be a riot anyway.

I have Medal of Honor: Allied Assault on CD somewhere. That was a very fun game, although a bit dated by today's graphical standards. For my money it didn't get better than the Omaha Beach portion of the game. I've never, in all my PC gaming life, flinched and ducked so much from a computer game. Every time those MG42's would light up on my position I'd hide behind a barricade afraid to peek out. I mean I was literally flinching. =))

I think the original Call of Duty was a bit better than MoH:AA (the two were bitter rivals at the time as I recall) with a much better storyline and definitely more unique missions. The one that stands out in my memory was when you and a group of US GI's comandeer a French civilian car and ride around the countryside trying to make it to the rallypoint with the passengers (including the player) hanging out the windows Chicago gangland style and blasting away at Nazi positions. It's like Hitler meets Al Capone, and Capone packs a big punch. B-)

As far as pixelicious WW2 shooters I was playing the original Wolfenstein 3D on my PC waaaaay back in 1991 and loving it. It was a blast back in the day but the game is almost painful to look at now. The newer Return to Castle Wolfenstein they released back in the late 90's was a really, really fun game and thoroughly underrated in my opinion. I loved that archaic night vision rifle that the Brits give you about halfway through the game. And the mixture of WW2 action, horror, and the supernatural blended together quite well. Have you played this newer Castle Wolfenstein that they released recently? If so is it any good? I saw it at Wal-Mart and almost bought it but didn't want to slap down my hard earned moola for a game that may not be up to snuff.
Kennel Keeper of Fenris Ulf

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby Watziznehm » Nov 16, 2009 7:05 pm

You were flinching eh? I wasn't that bad, once I realized I actually had a bit of time to go from cover to cover before the enemy started firing at me I was fine.

So you have played the original Call of Duty? I haven't had that pleasure but I would like to try it one day just for kicks.

I have not played the latest Wolfenstein but I read an article on it and they gave it about an 8/10 so it is probably not bad. What the reviewer did say is that it would take about 48hrs to beat or something like that. I'm not sure though so don't take my word for it. He also said that there was allot of mindless shooting involved (i.e. target practice). However he said that the way the enemy's died were very satisfactory and entertaining (i.e. shooting of arms and legs ect.). If I were you, I would buy it when its the 20 dollar special at Wal-Mart but not before.

Since we are on the subject of older games, have you tried Nerf Arena Blast? That is an awesome game! It came out 1999 and was the precursor to the Unreal series. You should really check it out because not only does it have decent graphics and game play but there is something cool about pointing Nerf guns at people.
Sig by greenleaf23.
Watziznehm
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Shadowlander » Nov 16, 2009 8:33 pm

Watz wrote:I have not played the latest Wolfenstein but I read an article on it and they gave it about an 8/10 so it is probably not bad. What the reviewer did say is that it would take about 48hrs to beat or something like that. I'm not sure though so don't take my word for it. He also said that there was allot of mindless shooting involved (i.e. target practice). However he said that the way the enemy's died were very satisfactory and entertaining (i.e. shooting of arms and legs ect.). If I were you, I would buy it when its the 20 dollar special at Wal-Mart but not before.

That's a good score. I'll definitely be checking it out, although it'll be some time before I do. I definitely need a computer upgrade as my crate has difficulty running top of the line stuff anymore. I loaded up Bioshock and thought my PC would have a coronary, so I ended up having to drop everything to mid-range quality. :(

Watz wrote:Since we are on the subject of older games, have you tried Nerf Arena Blast? That is an awesome game! It came out 1999 and was the precursor to the Unreal series. You should really check it out because not only does it have decent graphics and game play but there is something cool about pointing Nerf guns at people.

I'm not familiar with that title. I've of course seen Unreal Tournament here and there but never picked it up. Most of the games I own are typically combative in nature, even the RPG's. I have a few of those, several RTS's, and a slew of FPS games. If you have a slightly older machine might I recommend a couple of titles you can probably get for pretty cheap now?

First off give Far Cry a look. This is an excellent game filled with incredible theme and atmosphere. The tropical Micronesian islands seem almost life like and there's multiple ways to finish the game. The draw distance is amazing and you can view islands miles away and pick out targets. In this way scouting ahead is made a whole lot easier.

Also check out F.E.A.R.. If you're of a gentle disposition this game will scare the socks off of you (I don't play this one at night, that's for certain #:-s ). Far Cry will take roughly a week to finish if you hammer away at it and FEAR slightly lesser, but they're both excellent games.

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby Watziznehm » Nov 17, 2009 8:09 am

Nerf Arena Blast is a FPS as are the Unreal Tournaments. If you have never played them then you don't know what you are missing. They are awesome. In both the Unreal series and its precursor the bots that shoot at you are not idiots. In fact there are some levels of difficulty that you can set the bots to on Unreal '04 that are almost impossible to beat. You haven't gotten a well rounded FPS experience if you haven't tried Unreal.

My computer or should I say my parents computer is not a bad machine. I can run Battlefield 2 no problem and I have have all the HoH loaded onto it as well so not half bad. It has a Nividia GeForce 8600 in it so I can still squeak by on most top of the line games. Thanks for the recommendations though. I will definitely consider checking those out one day.

Edit: I would like to point out that the 8/10 rating for the new Wolfenstein is the best I have seen. There are a few ratings that give it a 7/10. Just so you know.
Sig by greenleaf23.
Watziznehm
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby TheGeneral » Nov 17, 2009 1:53 pm

Speaking of oooold, the P.O.W. video game and Super Mario Bros 3 (NES) are what I remember from when I was 5 or 6. :ymapplause: There was also this pc game, I wish could remember the name, but it was a very simple ping pong game I used to play all the time, the opponent was always saying "good shot!" after every point lol.
TheGeneral
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Watziznehm » Nov 17, 2009 3:12 pm

How about Mike Tyson's Punch-out? Does anyone remember that one? Perhaps you remember the old PC game Stunts? Both of those games were hilarious.
Sig by greenleaf23.
Watziznehm
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby SnowAngel » Nov 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Battlefield 1942 is awesome. I should play it sometime soon, haven't played it since before we moved. I hate the Battle of the Bulge map, I never win on it. I can't remember which map is my favorite, but I know I had one. :D

Call of Duty- I have played either Call of Duty or Call of Duty 2 on the PC, not sure which one. And a little bit of CoD 2 online for my brother (during his Snickers-and-milk breaks). I have played CoD: Big Red One and CoD 3 on the PS2. Big Red One is the best of the Call of Duty games, IMHO. :D

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault is one of my big brother's favorite PC games. I have played it some, but I'm not very good at it. I like Spearhead, because I can play it all the way through. :)

My favorite video games are Rainbow Six 3(in CO-OP), Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, and Medal of Honor: Frontline (all on the PS2). I'm better on the PS2 than the PC. :p

My brother is hoping to get an XBox 360 soon, then we can play Rainbow Six Vegas and the Call of Duty games. And maybe, just maybe, Battlefield Bad Company! Image Maybe after Thanksgiving. *is very hopeful*

SnowAngel
We are too prone to engrave our trials in marble
and write our blessings in sand. — C.H. Spurgeon
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby FencerforJesus » Nov 17, 2009 4:13 pm

I remember Mike Tyson's Punch Out (currently known as Punch Out featuring Mr Dream). I actually have it for the Wii VC (Virtual Console). I was a master at Super Mario 3 (NES). I even remember when that came out for the first time (I also recall when SM2 came out as well). Talk about Old School.

I am currently playing Super Mario Galaxy for the Wii. I got stuck on one star and I finally got it, so now I am playing it through on the 2nd Quest.

Got to run to class.
Be watching for the release of my spiritual warfare novel under a new title: "Call to Arms" by OakTara Publishing. A sequel (title TBD) will shortly follow.
FencerforJesus
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby IloveFauns » Nov 17, 2009 4:21 pm

TheGeneral wrote:Speaking of oooold, the P.O.W. video game and Super Mario Bros 3 (NES) are what I remember from when I was 5 or 6. :ymapplause: There was also this pc game, I wish could remember the name, but it was a very simple ping pong game I used to play all the time, the opponent was always saying "good shot!" after every point lol.

I have played many super mario games but if thats for the super nintendo i probalay haven't played it. I love yoshi. You say it like yo she and i say it yoosh e. Probalay just accents.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Nov 17, 2009 4:54 pm

Watz, I remember playing Nerf Arena Blaster on my friend's computer back in the day. I loved it. It was clean fun but really intense. I saw it for sale 5 or so years ago (for $5) and didn't pick it up at the time. I'm bummed now because it's impossible to find (or you have to pay big money for a second-hand copy).

Assassin's Creed 2: Bloodlines looks great but considering my current computer can't even run the first in the series, there's nothing do but cry. Wah! But seriously. My computer can only run Bioshock on medium system requirements.
Otherwise, new games don't interest me all that much. I want to see a return to innovative ideas, great game-play and story, instead of just great graphics/physics.
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby Shadowlander » Nov 17, 2009 7:52 pm

Snow Angel wrote:Call of Duty- I have played either Call of Duty or Call of Duty 2 on the PC, not sure which one. And a little bit of CoD 2 online for my brother (during his Snickers-and-milk breaks). I have played CoD: Big Red One and CoD 3 on the PS2. Big Red One is the best of the Call of Duty games, IMHO.

Those were fun games. I want to say it was COD 1, but one of the games had 3 distinct story arcs. There was one in which you were playing an airborne paratrooper in the 82nd, the 2nd was a British story arc, and the 3rd was in the Soviet theater. That Soviet one's intro was very intense. You start off your missions on a troop barge headed across the river into Stalingrad (I think it was Stalingrad, can't remember) and Stuka dive bombers are flying over you and blowing all the other barges up. To make matters worse you don't even have a weapon and the Commisar running the thing tells you you'll get one as soon as one of the other Soviet troops dies. :-o Even more warped is that you end up taking intense fire from the Germans (bear in mind you still have no weapon), and if you try to retreat the Commisar will start to shoot at you. Reminds me of that old 80's song..."Don't turn around....the Commisar's in town" =))

Snow Angel wrote:I hate the Battle of the Bulge map, I never win on it.

That is a very tough map. The Germans are swarming at you from every direction, they have better tanks and a more powerful starting position, and the US just doesn't have the numbers to hold them back. I like to grab a sniper rifle and hole up in the windmill when I can. You'd be surprised how much damage you can do just by hopping in a jeep and running over enemy soldiers. The key there is that the US has one really good tank over on the right side of the map in its own little bivouac, and if you get that you can take out a ton of enemy soldiers and even a few Panzers provided you keep reasonably good cover. Of course the CPU soldiers you're allied with never seem to capitalize on this (they're really only good at running around and dying) so at best you'll be able to nail maybe 10-15 troops and up to 3 tanks before you have to bail. Still, very fun map. I still think Wake Island is the best map though. ;)

All this talk of BF1942 is making me give serious thought to loading the old girl up and having another go of it. I've been working through Starcraft (for the umpteenth time) and I might just put it aside when I get home.

W4J wrote:My computer can only run Bioshock on medium system requirements.

You're preaching to the choir, friend. But who has $2,000 to plop down on a tricked out Alienware PC anymore? My wife would have a coronary when she got the bill.

FFJ wrote:I remember Mike Tyson's Punch Out (currently known as Punch Out featuring Mr Dream).

A Classic among Classics from the golden age of the original NES! I'm rather embarrassed to admit this, but my very first time playing (waaaaay back in 1986 at the tender age of 14) Glass Joe TKO'd me. There, I said it. You've probably never seen Glass Joe do his little victory dance, but I have :-$ . Eventually I was able to make it to Mike Tyson himself, but man, that was work! I made it about 1:30 into the match before he punched me through the wall of the stadium. :-o

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby Watziznehm » Nov 17, 2009 8:42 pm

Ha ha, TKO'd by Glass Joe. Over all you did better than me though because I couldn't get past the guy just before Mike Tyson.
Sig by greenleaf23.
Watziznehm
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby 7chronicles » Nov 17, 2009 11:54 pm

I love playing the PS3, me and my sister are currently working on getting all of the medals for Transformer: Revenge of the Fallen, and then moving on to try and get all the medals on Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, can't wait for another game to come out on PS3! Also has anyone played Battle of Giants: Dragons, for DS, I'm thinking of getting it? :-\

The Value of myth is that it takes all the things you know and restores to them the rich significance which has been hidden by the veil of familiarity. C.S. Lewis
7chronicles
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby TheGeneral » Nov 18, 2009 7:12 am

IloveFauns wrote:I have played many super mario games but if thats for the super nintendo i probalay haven't played it. I love yoshi. You say it like yo she and i say it yoosh e. Probalay just accents.

Yeah it's pretty old. I like Yoshi too, but I always called him 'Yah she' until someone told me it was 'Yo she' lol. The only other one I really played was Super Mario 64.
TheGeneral
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby FencerforJesus » Nov 18, 2009 7:53 am

On Mike Tyson's Punch Out, I've also gotten just as far as Super Macho Man (the one right before Mike Tyson). I've been trying from time to time to get past him, but I haven't done it yet.

I now have three favorite Mario games: SM3 (for NES), SM64 (for N64), and SMGalaxy (Wii). Anyone played the SM64 remake for the DS? You get to play as Mario, Luigi, Wario, and Yoshi, as well as having 150 stars to collect instead of just 120. On the 2nd Quest of SMGalaxy, I am one star away from getting all 120 and that is on my agenda when I get of the net in a few minutes.
Be watching for the release of my spiritual warfare novel under a new title: "Call to Arms" by OakTara Publishing. A sequel (title TBD) will shortly follow.
FencerforJesus
NarniaWeb Zealot

PreviousNext