This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Update: Finished! kings and queens oil painting

Post your Narnia-inspired pictures or poems here.

Moderators: wild rose, SnowAngel

Update: Finished! kings and queens oil painting

Postby Anfinwen » Aug 07, 2012 9:24 am

I finally got up the courage to try a Narnia painting; and I think it will turn out nice, because I have a really good art teacher. :D
It is a 16x20" canvass, and I'm painting the grown up Pevinsies at the end of LWW when they're looking up at the lamp post. I picked this one because there are no faces. Well, hardly any.
I haven't finished it yet, but I thought it would be fun to post pics as I go. It will probably take a while because I generally have art class every other week. I'm not brave enough to work on this one without my teacher there to help me fix mistakes.

In this pic I have painted my canvass with yellow acrylic as a base, traced my pattern on with graphite, and outlined it with more acrylic.

Now I have put on a general green leafy background and the tree branches over that. I'll be putting the rest of the leaves over the trees. Image
Formerly The Lady Arwen Undómiel
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut

Re: kings and queens oil painting

Postby Mehinen » Aug 10, 2012 8:58 am

The sketch is good for oil painting, not too detailed, and I really like the picture you chose. I also like the green in the background and the light in the tree behind the Pevensies :) .

How did you do the sketch? With hand or did you project the picture somehow to the canvas and drew the outlines from it?
My art blog (both in Finnish and in English) http://mehinen.wordpress.com/
Mehinen
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Anfinwen » Aug 10, 2012 12:46 pm

I had the picture enlarged to the size I wanted and traced it with tracing paper, then I put graphite paper between the tracing paper and the canvass and traced it again so that the black coating from the graphite was pressed onto the canvass in the correct shapes.
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Quinlin » Aug 11, 2012 4:57 pm

What a beautiful painting, Lady Arwen Undómiel! :) The colors and hues of the wood are beautiful and I can feel the depth of the thick forest just by looking at it. You've done some wonderful work with the accuracy of the outlining for the entire painting which really helps to recapture the original. It's a little hard to decipher Lucy at the moment from between Peter and Susan (I'm assuming), but looking back to the side by side of the two, it seems she's really close there too. I'm sure of course that when you add color, she will stand out much better than with just an outlined sketch. So far, I think you've done a lovely job with this and I'm looking forward to seeing the differences when you incorporate all the other rich colors for the Pevensies into the painting! :)
I've Been to Narnia!
'I can still hear the hoofbeats in my heart'
Quinlin
NarniaWeb Fanatic
Birthday Committee Sub

Postby CSLewisNarnia » Aug 13, 2012 8:10 pm

WOW!!!! That's amazing! The foliage and greenery are beautiful--just like a forest. The lamp-post looks great: so delicate and pretty. :D The kings and queens are very well done! You got the folds in the clothing so well (How did you do that? :P ) This is really nice, The Lady Arwen Undómiel! :)
Icon by me. Sister: Aslanisthebest
Every time I think of a quote or witty comment to put here, the quote is not so spectacular and the comment is not so witty.
CSLewisNarnia
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Meltintalle » Aug 17, 2012 11:09 am

I love seeing things in progress. It's encouraging to watch things go from just an idea to something lovely. :)

I really like the image you chose and I look forward to seeing more. It looks good!
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby Sheroo of Stormness Head » Aug 21, 2012 7:18 pm

Beautiful work! That scene is fresh and rich in the movie, and it looks like you're capturing it very nicely!! Nice choice, and great work! Keep it up!!

Like Quinlin said, Lucy is a little hard to find, but that's not your fault, but rather the placing of the kings and queens in the picture. :D

Any progress recently? I'd love to see how it's coming along!

Sheroo
Sheroo of Stormness Head
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Anfinwen » Aug 23, 2012 5:31 pm

Thank you all for the encouraging comments; I appreciate them.
I finally had class again today! I put on another layer of green foliage (still no reds or oranges yet), almost finished the path, and started on the clothing and lamp-post.
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Hermitess of Narnia » Aug 25, 2012 9:37 am

You are doing a very good job with the shading in the forest. It's nice to see how the wood seen in the movie would look in spring, instead of fall. I look forward to seeing the finished painting.
Hermitess of Narnia
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby ValiantArcher » Aug 30, 2012 8:36 pm

That's looking really lovely! :) It's neat to see the process of how the painting progresses. I look forward to seeing more of your progress and the finished work eventually. :)
Some days you battle yourself and other monsters.
Some days you just make soup.
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby Anfinwen » Oct 01, 2012 1:13 pm

I've worked on the painting twice and neglected to post pictures of it, so here are two.
The clothes are pretty much done. The hair and skin have base coats. There's still work to be done on the trees and lamppost, and I'm sure my teacher can find other things that need touched up; that's what she's there for.
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Hermitess of Narnia » Oct 11, 2012 6:34 pm

It just keeps getting better and better, Lady Arwen, the capturing of the sunlight is especially good now.
Hermitess of Narnia
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Mehinen » Oct 12, 2012 10:55 am

The trees and their leaves have lovely colours, and I really like the lamp-post now! :)
My art blog (both in Finnish and in English) http://mehinen.wordpress.com/
Mehinen
NarniaWeb Guru

Re: Update: Finished! kings and queens oil painting

Postby Anfinwen » Jan 04, 2013 12:45 pm

I've had it done for a while, and I have just been procrastinating about loading pictures.

I still want to paint the edges of the canvass so I can hang it without a frame, and it also needs a clear coating of Liquin.
I've started on another Narnia painting, but I'm not sure if I want to try to post pics as I go (I keep forgetting my camera).
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby coracle » Jan 04, 2013 2:41 pm

Oh this is a lovely treat! I hadn't seen it during the time you were working on it, so it's great to see both the finished picture and its earlier stages.

Congratulations on a beautifully achieved painting! :)
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Aslanisthebest » Jan 04, 2013 5:29 pm

This is so beautiful! Like Coracle said, it's really wonderful to see all the stages of the painting and to see all you did to it. The finished product is breathtaking - the detail is spectacular. I think my favourite thing is the way you did the lamppost. It looks really, really significant, being the object of the subject's attention. And the Pevensies themselves are wonderfully done. The detail on them is outstanding. :ymapplause:
RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

Next