The Road Goes Ever On and On: Everything Tolkien

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: johobbit, stargazer

Re: The Road Goes Ever On and On: Everything Tolkien

Postby johobbit » Jul 11, 2012 1:45 pm

I'm with you re Samwise, Mountie—a brave, loyal, wonderful hobbit. :x And I can totally see how you would be a female version of dear Sam. :ymhug: Anyway, enough sentimentality for now. ;)) But, speaking of which, and this is a general question to y'all: what characterdo you relate to most in Tolkien's writings?

Speaking of LotR merchandise, we're having a awful lot of fun with our Pez Dispensers. ;)) Except, Frodo fell into Mount Doom last week (uh, the compost container) and we didn't realize it until he was really ... GONE (as in, the truck picked him up :-s :p)! I guess I'll just have to try to think of him as having gone Into the West via the Grey Havens. ymwhisle

Sig by Narnian_Badger :)
johobbit

Postby 7chronicles » Jul 11, 2012 5:48 pm

The Hobbit Trolls at Comic-Con!
I LOVE THEM!!!!!!

I wish I could gooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Speaking of trolls!
Me and my sister just got The Balin's Tomb LEGO set from my cousins today!
I have to get a bigger cabinet for our Lord of the Rings stuff! :p :)

The Value of myth is that it takes all the things you know and restores to them the rich significance which has been hidden by the veil of familiarity. C.S. Lewis
7chronicles
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Ithilwen » Jul 11, 2012 6:25 pm

johobbit wrote:Except, Frodo fell into Mount Doom last week (uh, the compost container) and we didn't realize it until he was really ... GONE (as in, the truck picked him up :-s :p)! I guess I'll just have to try to think of him as having gone Into the West via the Grey Havens. ymwhisle

Oh, wow. That is so sad. :( And really hilariously worded. ;))

That Hobbit banner is so gorgeous. :ymdaydream: It's so nice to see Beorn and the Wargs for the first time. Although... is it just me, or does the picture of Bilbo with the dwarves at the table seem a bit... fake looking?

So. Page 101. Does this mean we are not getting a new Tolkien thread after this one has hit page 100? :-\

~Riella =:)
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby johobbit » Jul 11, 2012 6:38 pm

The new edition of the Tolkien thread is coming sometime this week ... just wait and see. :D

I agree, Ithi, that the picture of Bilbo and the Dwarves looks a bit odd. Whereas the other images are so believable, that one somewhat pulled me out of the moment.

johobbit

Postby fantasia » Jul 12, 2012 8:00 am

I don't know if this has been linked on here before or not, but shastastwin shared it this morning so I thought I'd pass it on.

Name the top characters from The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings in 15 minutes.
http://www.sporcle.com/games/dancr131/l ... gs-top-101

I will give one hint to those that want it....
Thranduil is not entered in correctly. He's under Elvenking.

I did pretty good on it actually. 69/101. I would have had 70 if not for the spoiler above. The only character I was kicking myself on forgetting was Radagast. Also, I can't remember, who was Beregond?
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby johobbit » Jul 12, 2012 8:52 am

Beregond was from Gondor (Minas Tirith). He was in one of the Companies of the Citadel, and left his post to stop Denethor from burning Faramir alive on the pyre, but in so doing, he had to kill a couple (?) of guards who were standing in his way, refusing to let him through. He was very loyal to Faramir, and even though was sent away from Minas Tirith for the murders, he was made a Captain in Faramir's guard for his loyalty and courage. (I love that justice and mercy in Faramir!) He was also assigned to care for Pippin and teach him the ways of the city when Peregrin first arrived there, and then his son, Bergil, came to be Pippin's companion in those tense days.

EDIT: I've always been partial to Beregond and his son, enjoying the relationship between them and Pippin while the world was in such turmoil around them.

One name I quickly typed in for the quiz was Ioreth, who never fails to crack me up. :))

johobbit

Postby daughter of the King » Jul 12, 2012 9:50 am

I forgot Shadowfax *headdesk* There were a few others (got 70/101), but that was the most glaringly obvious one. ;))
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

Postby MountainFireflower » Jul 12, 2012 12:11 pm

This thread has come to a close. I will not say do not weep, for not all tears are an evil. ( ;) )

As we fans of Narnia and Tolkien know well, all journeys must come to an end, but never fear. This isn't the end; rather, it is the beginning. Here is a link to the new thread! (Thanks to Varnafinde for opening it!)
av by dot
MountainFireflower
Moderator Emeritus

Previous