This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The Road Goes Ever On and On: Everything Tolkien

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: The Road Goes Ever On and On: Everything Tolkien

Postby AslansChild » Jul 08, 2012 1:18 pm

7chronicles wrote:But I don't think we will see him at all until next year. ;)

Drat it. :ymsigh: I was wondering what he was going to look like. It seems a shame that PJ has to stretch out one book into two films. With the FOTR, at least it was three books, three films. But I guess we'll get to see more this way. :-??

I wasn't so crazy about the new poster. It looks really, I don't know - generic. I liked all the colors, it was very green and Hobbit-y, but it was just, blah. Plain.

To quote Quickbeam from ToRN:

Feels like a studio photograph that was photoshopped over the Shire background.*

* (Taken from) http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/07 ... ly-photos/

What was the teaser poster? The one with Bilbo walking out the door? Then yes, I agree, I LOVE that one way better.

Random question, but has anyone tried going into the Scrapbook on http://www.theonering.net ? I've been trying the past few days, it just says.
You don't have permission to access /scrapbook/ on this server.

?

"...when my heart is overwhwlemed, lead me to the Rock that is higher than I."
-Pslam 61:2
AslansChild
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby AslansChild » Jul 09, 2012 2:30 pm

Picture!!!

*SPOILERS*

HOBBIT Picture/collage/thing

"Mission/thingy/quest"

Having never read The Hobbit, and have little next to nill idea on what it's about, this isn't really anything spoiler-ish to me. It's like:
"O look, it's Elrond............that's nice."

:)
AslansChild
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby fantasia » Jul 09, 2012 2:39 pm

Wow, wow, wow! This is like, way more spoilerful than the pics they released a few days ago.
I see Beorn!! In BEAR FORM!!! AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
Looks like the trolls and wargs/wolves are redesigned a bit.
And I'm pretty well convinced that the dwarves barrels will not have lids at any point in time. I'm guessing that Bilbo will roll them into the river rather than the elves tossing them in.

Thanks for posting AslansChild! :D
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby 7chronicles » Jul 09, 2012 3:04 pm

AslansChild wrote:
Having never read The Hobbit, and have little next to nill idea on what it's about, this isn't really anything spoiler-ish to me.

You have to read the book!!!! :-o Especially before you see the movie!
Part of the fun of a book adaption is seeing the story come alive in front of you! :D

I just saw this on TheOneRing.net! This further confirms my feelings that the first film will end at the
barrels leaving Mirkwood, with part 2 picking up around Lake Town!!!!!!

Beorn is Awesome!!!! And like you mentioned fantasia_kitty the warns/wolves are a bit different from LOTR, but I like it, they look more Northernish to me. And as far as the Trolls go I remember Richard Armitage said in an interview that the trolls will look the extract same way they do in The Fellowship of the Ring as stone.
I really think they will keep the lids on when they get pushed into the water, but then later down stream, will burst open the tops!
I mentioned on chat the other day, that I could not picture Thorin staying cramped in a Barrel longer then he had to.

I LOVE IT ALL!!!! I can't wait!!!

The Value of myth is that it takes all the things you know and restores to them the rich significance which has been hidden by the veil of familiarity. C.S. Lewis
7chronicles
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Meltintalle » Jul 09, 2012 3:05 pm

Right, well, that's The Hobbit: Pt. 1 in 6000 pixels.

SQUEE! :D \:D/

I guess the thing that interests me most (other than wee nifty details like the burglar wanted on Bag End's door) is: is that a two-headed Warg? And will Elrond expound on the Sting's Gondolin connection? I doubt it, but it might have been nice...
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby daughter of the King » Jul 09, 2012 3:11 pm

I think I could spend hours looking at that collage. ;))

I spy a "G" rune on Bilbo's front door. Dwarves tied up in sacks. Are they going to be squashed, boiled, or roasted I wonder? ;)) The Eagles are coming! The Eagles are coming! And Beorn! As a bear! squee!

Mel wrote:Right, well, that's The Hobbit: Pt. 1 in 6000 pixels.

Ditto. Isn't it great?
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

Postby 7chronicles » Jul 10, 2012 12:29 am

New pictures of The Hobbit Legos!

They are so Adorable!!! :p

Can't wait to see more from Comic-Con!

The Value of myth is that it takes all the things you know and restores to them the rich significance which has been hidden by the veil of familiarity. C.S. Lewis
7chronicles
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby fantasia » Jul 10, 2012 5:33 am

I actually saw a few of the Lego sets for sale when I was walking through Target the other day. I can't remember which ones they were but I was hoping for one with more of the characters so I'd only have to buy one set. ;)) I do remember seeing the one with Shelob fighting Sam with a wrapped up, mummified Frodo nearby.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Aslanisthebest » Jul 10, 2012 12:49 pm

Aaah, that picture is so exciting! The Hobbit is the one story which I am wel-acquainted with (I still have to read the entire LotR...), so I was pretty excited. My memory is fuzzy on one or two things, so I will do a reread of The Hobbit this summer, but aaaah!! That picture!

#2- the feast looks great! I love the entire feel of it.
#3 with the trolls - Just like I imagined! Martin Freeman looks like a stellar Bilbo.
#4 - *complete jaw-dropping amazement* This one is probably my favourite. It looks so good. I love the moonlight and everything.
#5 - Interesting. Some of you have provided enough facts to not have me freaking out about Galadriel and Gandalf... but I do feel a bit ... O.o but we'll see...
#6 - LOOKS. JUST. LIKE. I. IMAGINED! Wow!
#7 - very interesting.
#8 - very interesting. (e.g. I need to reread the book in order to understand this. :P )
#9 - Is that the forest with the spiderwebs where all of them get attacked my spiders? (forgive my lack of proper nouns at exactly which forest this is :P)
#10 - I love the bridge!! I love it love it love it! It looks fantastic.
And the barrels! :D The last two are my favourite. Really excellent CGI and cinematography and everything.

I will say that I still am not completely content with the casting of Thorin, Kili, and Fili. Thorin is okay, I don't mind him that much, but I wish he looked a tad more dwarfish. Kili and Fili look too elflike for my liking... I wish they were more dwarf-like. It does not seem like this will spoil the movie for me or anything, but ah well.

Really excited, though, overall!

Question: I see it says 3D, but will they have the movie in 2D, as well, for those who want to see it that way? (I recall seeing that there would be some different method as far as frames per second go... so, I am no expert in understanding these things, but will it still be possible to see it in 2D?)
RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

Postby AslansChild » Jul 10, 2012 1:28 pm

Aslanisthebest wrote:Question: I see it says 3D, but will they have the movie in 2D, as well, for those who want to see it that way? (I recall seeing that there would be some different method as far as frames per second go... so, I am no expert in understanding these things, but will it still be possible to see it in 2D?)

That's my question too! That'd be a shame if you had to see it in 3D.
AslansChild
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby 7chronicles » Jul 10, 2012 3:31 pm

No you do not have to see it in 3D. Like most movies shot in 3D it is only an option. :)

I can't remember where I read it, but they gave a list of ways you can view
The Hobbit when it is released:

24 fps - 2D
24 fps - 3D
24 fps - IMAX 3D
48 fps - 2D
48 fps - 3D
48 fps - IMAX 3D

And not all theaters will be able to upgrade their cameras to handle the 48fps, so that may be a little harder to view.
Heres hoping that my local IMAX 3D upgrades their camera before December! :D

Hope that helps you guys out! :)

The Hobbit Toys!
Here is the Link:
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/07 ... y-line-up/

7chronicles
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby daughter of the King » Jul 10, 2012 3:34 pm

Aslanisthebest wrote:I recall seeing that there would be some different method as far as frames per second go

The technical details are way over my head, but Hobbit is being filmed at a higher rate of frames per second than the usual. The higher rate is supposedly closer to what the naked eye sees and will create a more fluid image on screen. Jackson talks about it in one of the production videos but off the top of my head I don't remember which one.

I hadn't seen that list before, 7chronicles. I wonder how many theaters will be able to handle the 48 fps. Most of the theaters I've been to still only have two or three screens that can handle 3D.

Hobbit Legos? *wonders if she could talk her siblings into buying her some for Christmas* ;))
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

Postby Aslanisthebest » Jul 10, 2012 8:13 pm

So I'm not the only non-3D-inclined person, Aslans Child! ;))

Wow, thanks for that list, 7chronicles! That helps a whole ton. Ahh.. so I'll have to choose between 2D 24fps or 2D 48 fps.... and half the problem is that I don't know which one. Maybe I'll see it in both if I get to? :P Thanks so much, again!

Dot wrote:The technical details are way over my head, but Hobbit is being filmed at a higher rate of frames per second than the usual. The higher rate is supposedly closer to what the naked eye sees and will create a more fluid image on screen. Jackson talks about it in one of the production videos but off the top of my head I don't remember which one
That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the explanation! I was wondering what the whole thing meant, but I just guessed it would be faster? Wow, that will be interesting... I hope we get to see some examples of it so we know what to choose from when viewing it the first time around.

Wow, they're making Hobbit Legos?! I knew about the LotR and was excited, because it's finally something (apart from the Kingdoms stuff and the modern town thingies :P ) that I can follow and get excited at Lego.
*sees the picture 7chronicles posted*
Those are awesome. I love the beard on one of the dwarfs!!
RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

Postby AslansChild » Jul 11, 2012 8:00 am

7chronicles wrote:No you do not have to see it in 3D. Like most movies shot in 3D it is only an option. :)

O, that's good. :-bd Thanks. :)

Anyone see the buttons TORN is having at Comic Con!?!

They're for sale only at their booth for the low low price of one dolla' ;) I want one... =((

a.) it's really far away! :((
&
b.) you'd probably have to camp out at the door to get in. :p I've already heard stories of people doing so previous years. And I mean, c'mon: PJ and Martin Freeman are going to be there! B-) \:D/ ;)) It's bound to be crazy.

BUT
, stay tuned to TORN for coverage! (Thank the Lord)

http://www.theonering.net/live/comiccon/hobbit/
AslansChild
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby johobbit » Jul 11, 2012 1:03 pm

I haven't posted here in 'forever', but have been carefully following everyone's comments. So, only a few brief bits:

As for Armitage's statement that Thorin doesn't have much confidence in himself, hobbit rage ariseth within me when I hear stuff like this. :p It's a repeat of Aragorn! :ymsigh: Ditto to Dot's last Spoiler regarding Thorin. Why can't we have an honourable, noble hero who begins that way and remains as such throughout?! :|

Narnian_Archer, so glad you're reading The LotR! :D Let us know how you're faring when you can.

There better not be some silly romance in this film!!!

As for the new pictures, I do like Bilbo's housecoat. ;)) And The Hobbit journey scroll, wowowow!
*love the G rune on the door of Bag End
*climbing up that mountain in the bright moonlight ... ooooh!
*just before "Riddles in the Dark"-YES! (I think—I hope—that scene will be Bang-On!
*the Wargs look terrifying!
*BEORN AS A BEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
*Sting glows around huge spiders?! :-\ I guess that could make sense.
*the bridge and finally the barrels SQUEEEEE!!!!

7Chronicles, thanks for that list of how we can view the film. I'm partial to 2D, but would like to see it in 3D once, anyway.

There is so much more I could comment on, but this will have to suffice. One more thing, though—a personal bit: I gave my 85 year old Dad The Fellowship of the Ring for Father's Day, and he is enjoying it very much. :D He is a massive Charles Dickens fan, so I figure Tolkien's descriptions will hardly faze him. ;)) He read The Hobbit last year, and we've been wanting to give him The LotR for awhile now, but were waiting for the right time. Well, June 17th was it, and as of Monday, he was making his way south with the Company and the Ring from Rivendell. They're coming over on the 22nd again, and we will then present him with The Two Towers. I purchased the beautifully Alan Lee illustrated edition for him, which only adds to the appeal.

He keeps on getting mixed up who the hobbits are, though: the first time it was "what's Gildor: a hobbit?", then "is Tom Bombadil a hobbit?", then "is Bill Ferny a hobbit or man?". :)) Granted, it's hard for me to go back to the first time I read the book, but I can see how all the names and characters kind of get muddled a bit until you've read it more than a few times. ;))

Anyway, GO DAD, GO!!! (not-so-subtle Moot reference B-) )
johobbit

Postby MountainFireflower » Jul 11, 2012 1:30 pm

fantasia_kitty wrote:I actually saw a few of the Lego sets for sale when I was walking through Target the other day. I can't remember which ones they were but I was hoping for one with more of the characters so I'd only have to buy one set. ;)) I do remember seeing the one with Shelob fighting Sam with a wrapped up, mummified Frodo nearby.

Agh! My sister pointed them out to me, but I was majorly distracted so I didn't take the time to look at them. ~x( I hadn't realized that I'd forgotten to look until now. *frustrated headesk of epic proportions*

It's not likely since my family rarely goes to Target (we take a trip there about once a year to pick up stuff we need ;)) ) but I desperately wish I can go back to Target soon so I can check 'em out. ;)) I'd been majorly looking forward to the LotR Legos. It's so exciting that they're out now. I especially can't wait to see Samwise Gamgee. :D He's my favorite of the hobbits -- plus, I'm called Sam by one of my friends. ;)) I relate to him in many ways. Though, now that I think about it, the Aragorn and Legolas Legos will be amusing and awesome to see as well. ;))
av by dot
MountainFireflower
Moderator Emeritus

PreviousNext