This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Favorite Non-human Narnian

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

It's a creature feature! Choose your favorite from the wilder side of Narnia.

Aslan (all books)
30%
Mr. and Mrs. Beaver (LWW)
1%
Tumnus (LWW)
7%
Trumpkin (PC)
2%
Reepicheep (PC/VDT)
21%
Puddleglum (SC)
23%
Hwin and Bree (HHB)
3%
Fledge (MN)
1%
Jewel (LB)
6%
Other (please specify)
6%

Total votes : 135

Re: Favorite Non-human Narnian

Postby Alice_WL » Oct 02, 2011 12:20 pm

I pick Fledge, the winged horse from MN. I love creatures with wings.. ^_^
"Who knows what I could bring, flying high upon a wing.
I believe that anything can be a princess thing."
- Princess Sofia the First
Alice_WL
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby wizardjna » Oct 04, 2011 6:49 pm

Puddleglum is funny and witty. I am looking forward to seeing him at the SC ;;)
Make your choice, adventurous Stranger; Strike the bell and bide the danger, Or
wonder, till it drives you mad, What would have followed if you had.
wizardjna
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby narnialuver » Nov 05, 2011 11:14 am

my fave is Reepicheep but I love them all like aslan he is so wise and big and the Griffins I love them they are so great

The Hobbit in theaters: 14 December 2012
narnialuver
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby NarniaLullaby » Jun 12, 2012 3:37 pm

As much as I love Reepicheep and Mr. Tumnus, I had to pick Aslan. :)
"If my heart was a house, you'd be home."
~ Owl City
Signature image found at
SpareOom.net
NarniaLullaby
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby Andriel » Jul 07, 2012 11:34 pm

I choose Trumpkin.

He's a good character. I think they got a good A Actor for him in the movie.
I also like Hwin and Bree.

~Andriel
Previously DP Dessa
My RL sibs are Adeona, NarnianCricket, and DancingPrincesses.
Im a HUGE Fan of The Avengers!!!!!!!!!
Andriel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby 7chronicles » Jul 07, 2012 11:36 pm

This is way to tuff!
But if I have to choose, my favorite non-human character would be Reepicheep!

1. Reepicheep, He is the most noble and courages of them all!
2. Puddleglum, How can you not love him?
3. Trumpkin, I love Trumpkin's atitude!
4. Glimfeather, I love him, I would love to ride him like Jill and Eustace did! Tu-whoo!
I think as others have mentioned, that without Aslan there would be no Narnia!
I wanted to put him down, but he is sort of in a special place in my book. :)

The Value of myth is that it takes all the things you know and restores to them the rich significance which has been hidden by the veil of familiarity. C.S. Lewis
7chronicles
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Ithilwen » Jul 08, 2012 1:44 pm

It's a tie between Puddleglum and Trumpkin. I can never decide between those two.

Puddleglum is so heroic, and negative, and so funny. He's one of the most endearing characters in the series.

Trumpkin is so loyal, he'll even risk his life for something he doesn't believe in, just for the sake of pleasing his king. He's very filled with pride. But unlike most prideful characters, he takes it very well when his pride is mortified, such as in the competitions with the children. Trumpkin takes it very maturely when he turns out to be wrong. Overall, he's just a very unusual character. And one of the most surprising things about him is how kind and good and honest he is, even though he's not a follower of Aslan (at the start). Usually in books written by Christians, the non-Christian characters are shown as evil. But there's something different about him.

~Riella =:)
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby AstroWolfD » Jul 08, 2012 8:35 pm

Gotta like Reep, but had to vote for The Lion.
Avi and sig by the Wonderful wolfloversk

AROOOOOOO!!!
AstroWolfD
NarniaWeb Guru
Guard Wolf of the NW WC

Postby Narnian_Badger » Jul 08, 2012 8:47 pm

Well, first off, I didn't pick Aslan.

WAIT STOP. I can explain, I promise! Come back... that's it... I don't bite, despite my woodland namesake. ...Well not much, anyway.

Okay, so the reasoning is this: Aslan is not a Narnian. I know, I know; that's not what the poll means at all. But really... I can't lump Aslan into the same judging category as the rest. He's the son of the Emporer over the Sea, and that makes him everything.

So, as to whom I did pick, that'd be Puddleglum. Mind you, it was a tough choice between him, Reepicheep, and Trufflehunter (badgers are awesome :D ), but in then end, Puddleglum is just so... wonderfully melancholy. He's an ingenious character and brilliantly written. He's the unrelenting optimist disguised as a pessimist, and if it weren't for him, then all of Narnia could have been lost.
Narnian_Badger
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Dernhelm_of_Rohan » Jul 08, 2012 9:17 pm

Hwin and Bree, because they are three-dimensional characters who have such great motivational plots. And because I'm a native of the Mark of Rohan, so I love horses. ;)

Founding Keeper of the Secret Magic
Dernhelm_of_Rohan
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Varnafinde » Jul 09, 2012 7:01 pm

I chose Puddleglum.
His Pessimistic Optimism reminds me a bit of Eeyore in Winnie the Pooh - but he lacks the sarcasm that Eeyore uses so much.

He always expects the worst, and thus he is prepared for every disaster, and nothing can scare him. His calmness is an invaluable help when they face the Green Lady - he stamps out and destroys most of her magic fire. (And there's not much magic in the smell of Burnt Marsh-wiggle.)
(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)
Varnafinde
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum

Postby MountainFireflower » Jul 11, 2012 8:11 pm

Is there a "vote for all of the above" option? :p

All kidding aside, I voted for Aslan. I mean, he is Aslan. The king of all Narnia. How could I not? ;))

But in actuality, I love them all for various reasons.

Mr. Tumnus - My second favorite. He is flawed, obviously, but really, who isn't? His relationship with Lucy is so, so sweet. (James McAvoy's portrayal especially brought Tumnus to light for me. I love how he makes mistakes, but tries to do the right thing overall.

Mr. & Mrs. Beaver - their relationship with the Pevensies is adorable. The Beavers almost play the role of grandparents, or aunt and uncle. They take care of the Pevensies in the absence of the four children's own parents, and also help them get their bearings in Narnia.

Puddleglum - his downhearted, glum mood is what makes him who he is, to be honest. ;)) And it strikes me as amusing all at the same time. He's so endearing and he's an amazing companion to Jill and Eustace; he really rounds out the trio and adds a whole other dimension in his marshwiggle-way. Also, his speech at the end of SC is stunning. “I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia.”

Fledge - It's been a while since I read MN, but Fledge really endeared himself to me first as Strawberry. Then, when he turned into Fledge, he became even better. Normally I dislike it when my characters change in such a manner, and I think I may not have liked it as first, but overall, Fledge's transformation was handled very well. Bravo, C.S. Lewis!

Hwin & Bree - Oh, I love these two, especially together. Bree himself is hilarious, what with his hinny-hoohy-ha-ing. ;)) And Hwin is sweet, mild-mannered, and sensible. And together, they just make a lovely pair. They were great companions for Shasta & Aravis. Bree & Hwin really helped guide Shasta and Aravis through their journey, as well as taking quite a journey of their own.

Jewel - Again, I must say; bravo, C.S. Lewis! I'm noticing a lot of themes here: All of these non-human Narnians were absolutely loyal companions. Jewel is a perfect example of this: His devotion to Tirian, though they were different in many ways, is beautiful. Also, Jewel's quote at the end of The Last Battle has meant so much to me over the years and even inspired my blog title. “I have come home at last! This is my real country! I belong here. This is the land I have been looking for all my life, though I never knew it till now...Come further up, come further in!”

Reepicheep - Oh, such a valiant servant of Aslan. ;)) I loved his mouse-ish pride. While my memories of Reepicheep from the books are rather fuzzy (Book-Reepicheep and Movie-Reepicheep have kind of blended together, you see), I do believe he was fantastic either way. His loyalty is inspiring, as well as his journey into the End of the World. That part always made me quite sad. :( I couldn't understand why he'd left, though I'm beginning to understand now.

Trumpkin - It's been so long since I read PC that I think I'd better save most of my comments on him for another time. However, from what I remember, he seems to personify the cynic in all of us. I especially loved the illustrations of him by Pauline Baynes -- his all-over-the-place red hair and wild expressions always amused me. ;))

Ah, okay, I think I'm done now. ;))
av by dot
MountainFireflower
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Purpleotter » Nov 25, 2012 10:34 pm

Trufflehunter is really awesome. I like his personality in both the film and the book.
"Once a King or Queen of Narnia, always a King or Queen of Narnia"-Aslan
Purpleotter
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby PhelanVelvel » Jan 31, 2013 3:06 am

Not enough votes for Puddleglum! He manages to make me laugh and cry. Seriously, I don't know if any other character managed that in one book. Part of the reason I think The Silver Chair would make such a great film adaptation, there are plenty of laugh out loud lines. I think glumPuddle's character study on Youtube said a lot of the things that I would want to. Puddleglum's not really depressed, he's just so...realistic about everything? As glumPuddle said in his video, when things are going badly he finds the good in them, and when things are going well he is prepared for disappointment. To me, he's a very well-developed character. I wish there was another book with him, Jill, and Eustace interacting...they're a brilliant trio.
PhelanVelvel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby narnia fan 7 » Apr 11, 2013 11:38 am

I choose Reepicheep he chivalrous and noble and as brave as a lion one of my favorite characters is the series.
narnia fan 7
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby jewel » Jan 15, 2014 3:54 pm

Defiantly Jewel, after Aslan.
B-)

well to more descriptive. jewel was in one of my favorite Narnia books, The Last Battle. He is a good friend to one of my favorites, King Tirian, and also very bold and courageous. Jill Pole was fascinated by him, I guess that I am also intrigued by him. Probably mostly though, because of himself being in the Last Battle.
jewel
NarniaWeb Nut

PreviousNext