This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The shot is up...and its good! General Sports Discussion

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: The shot is up...and its good! General Sports Discussion

Postby FencerforJesus » Mar 28, 2012 3:33 pm

I've been to one DU (Denver University) hockey game, two Sun Bowls (college football), one Colorado Avalanche game, two Colorado Rockies games, one UTEP (UT El Paso) football games, and a couple others I can't place off the top of my head.

Now here is the kicker. Only the Colorado Avalanche game that I have attended live did not end in a win for the team I was rooting for and that was a tie. In every single live game I have attended at the college or professional level, the team I rooted for either won or tied. Of course I haven't been to a huge number of games, but I'm sure I'd be desired to be in the stands for many more if that streak remains intact.
Be watching for the release of my spiritual warfare novel under a new title: "Call to Arms" by OakTara Publishing. A sequel (title TBD) will shortly follow.
FencerforJesus
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby SnowAngel » Apr 05, 2012 1:02 pm

Did anyone watch the Cardinals beat the Marlins yesterday? :D I only saw the first three innnings and part of the eighth. We had family visiting and sadly they aren't Cardinals fans. :( But what I did see was great! :) Kyle Lohse pitched really well. And the offense did very well. :) My little brother was very excited to see David Freese batting. B-)

SnowAngel
We are too prone to engrave our trials in marble
and write our blessings in sand. — C.H. Spurgeon
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby SnowAngel » Apr 15, 2012 5:11 pm

The Cardinals are off to a good start this year at 7-3 and 2.5 games ahead of Houston. :D Today's game was great! :D Matt Carpenter was amazing! B-) He was 4-4, had a home run and 5 RBIs. :-o And Yadie hit his third home run of the year today! :D Yes, definitely a great game.

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby SnowAngel » Jun 27, 2012 1:47 pm

What's happened to this thread? No posts in over two months!

Interleague play ended on Sunday with the Cardinals sweeping the Royals. Which made me very happy as a Cardinals fan, but disappointed as a Royals fan.

Last night the Cardinals beat the Marlins 5-2 and Yadi hit his 12th homer of the season. And tonight the Cards go for the sweep. Go Cards! B-)

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby AstroWolfD » Jun 28, 2012 6:00 am

Well I guess I'd better post... I've really been putting off writing about baseball recently. Used to do it quite a bit.

My team, the Astros, are doing... poorly. But at 32-43, it could be worse I suppose. Lucas Harrell, one of my favorite new Astros, pitched a complete game shutout last night in a win over the Padres. There's a lot of season left, and baseball is a very crazy game, so who knows how things will look in October. Go Stros!
Avi and sig by the Wonderful wolfloversk

AROOOOOOO!!!
AstroWolfD
NarniaWeb Guru
Guard Wolf of the NW WC

Postby Boy Scout » Jun 28, 2012 7:01 am

^ I know how you feel. My team, the Brewers, aren't doing quite as bad as they could be, and who knows how this will all work out...

I miss Prince Feilder. :((

In other news, the NBA draft is tonight! Anothny Davis is the surefire no. 1 pick, after that it starts to get muddy. I'm hoping the Bucks can grab a Tyler Zeller at number 14.
Packers=13 time Wrold Champs!

I'm not inactive, I'm just very, very, busy.
Boy Scout
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby SnowAngel » Jul 07, 2012 11:48 am

The All-Star game is on Tuesday in Kansas City, MO and the Cardinals have 6 players who are All Stars this year: Carlos Beltran, Rafael Furcal, Yadier Molina, Lance Lynn, David Freese, and Matt Holliday. :D Yadier Molina was replaced by Matt Holliday today because "Molina was put on the Major League bereavement list on Friday and has been placed on the family medical emergency list after a death in his family". :(

I'm super excited about David Freese winning the Final Vote! B-) My brother and I both voted for him a bunch. ;) He definitely deserves it.

We are all excited about Carlos Beltran being in the Home Run Derby on Monday. I hope he wins! :) My brother really wanted to see it, but his college class is that night, so he will miss it. But I will be watching it with my siblings and probably Dad. :)

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby AstroWolfD » Jul 07, 2012 1:05 pm

SnowAngel wrote:The All-Star game is on Tuesday in Kansas City, MO and the Cardinals have 6 players who are All Stars this year: Carlos Beltran, Rafael Furcal, Yadier Molina, Lance Lynn, David Freese, and Matt Holliday. :D

Wow...6 from the Cards, 1 from the Astros (Jose Altuve). :p He certainly deserves it. Hope he actually gets a chance to play...

AROOOOOOO!!!
AstroWolfD
NarniaWeb Guru
Guard Wolf of the NW WC

Postby stargazer » Jul 18, 2012 10:08 am

The NL All Stars certainly dominated that game, securing home field advantage for the NL team in the World Series.

I'm dusting this off to mention the fan catch of the season. ;)) Normally fans are willing to drop everything to catch a foul ball, but a fan at a Toronto Blue Jays game managed to catch the ball despite having his hands full - he didn't even spill any of the food he was carrying.

My local MLB team (the Twins) are still in the American Central cellar but are making their move to change that. The other night they won 19-7 (which looks more like an NFL score ;)) ).

Even if they start winning, I'm going to wait a while before going to a game. It's been so hot lately - temps still in the 90s for night games - and I'm a polar bear, after all.;)
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Boy Scout » Aug 11, 2012 11:17 am

Well after all the hype and anooying ESPN coverage, Dwight Howard has been traded to the L.A. Lakers! I'm just really glad that this whole ordeal is over with, so that ESPN can go back to over hype-ing Jets camp :P

The deal invovled four teams, at least six players and three first round draft picks. Luckily my Bucks weren't caught up in any of this, were any of your teams?
Packers=13 time Wrold Champs!

I'm not inactive, I'm just very, very, busy.
Boy Scout
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby AstroWolfD » Oct 08, 2012 8:15 am

Well it's high time I posted in this thread... so much has been going on in the sports world recently. I'm not going to cover it all here, but I'll briefly go over what's going on in my areas of sports expertise (MLB, NHL, NFL). Starting with the most painful one (for me), Major League Baseball.

As I've mentioned before, the Houston Astros are my team. And as anyone who has been following any MLB team will know, the 'Stros season officially reeked :P. Finishing the season with a league-worst (and worst in franchise history) record of 55 wins and 107 losses, one almost had to be relieved that the regular season ended last Wednesday #:-s. There were bright spots during the season however. José Altuve, the rookie second baseman for the Astros, had a very impressive season. He was their lone representative at the All-Star game, and performed well in the field as well as at the plate. As some may know, the Astros are being forced to move to the American League next season in order to even out the number of teams in each league. While many fans are not happy about the move (myself included), it was unavoidable, and we'll learn to like the AL I'm sure. We'll also have new uniforms, new mascot, new broadcast team, and new manager next season, and I'm already looking forward to it. Playoffs are going on now of course, but I'm really not paying much attention. Except I am hoping that the Texas Rangers drop out soon... I sort of consider them the imposter team from Texas ;).

On to the NHL. Really not much to say here... there's a lockout going on right now, and I honestly don't know if the end will be coming anytime soon. My team, the Phoenix Coyotes, had a fairly decent playoff run last season, and I think they can make another good run this year, if the season ever gets going :P.

Football time! I'm really not into football as much as the other two sports I've covered, but growing up in the New Orleans area made me a Saints fan ;) . They just got their first win last night, and Drew Brees set a record by throwing a TD pass for the 47th straight game. Their record now sits at 1-4... not the way they wanted to start off the season, but I guess it could be worse considering all the troubles they had before the season started. Both the Texans and Falcons remain undefeated so far this season, we'll have to see how long that'll last. Knowing the Texans, I'd say not very long in their case :P.

So that finishes my overdue sports rant. If anyone reads even half of this, they are a bigger sports geek than I ;) . So what are your teams up to now, patrons of NarniaWeb?

AROOOOOOO!!!
AstroWolfD
NarniaWeb Guru
Guard Wolf of the NW WC

Postby stargazer » Oct 08, 2012 3:52 pm

Well, since you asked so nicely... :)

I can relate to your pain with the Astros. Our local MLB team, the Twins, reached the playoffs frequently during the last 10 years or so (but could never get by the Yankees). But the past 2 years they've had records barely better than the Astros. *sigh*

Still, the lure of outdoor baseball after all those years in the Metrodome brought people out to Target Field this summer. I attended the second-to-last home game, against Detroit, on a beautiful day near the end of September. Even saw the home team hit a grand slam! Pretty exciting. Too bad they still lost.

One thing about the Astros moving to the AL, AstroWolfD, is that they may be playing those Rangers more often. ;)

The big surprise around here has been the Vikings. They've not been very good the past few years either, but at 4-1 have already won more games than they did all last season - including victories over San Francisco and Detroit, both superior teams. People are starting to get excited.

And the local WNBA franchise, the Lynx, will open the finals next Sunday, hoping to repeat as league champions. We're talking about getting tickets - they're more affordable and easier to get than other major league teams.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby MinotaurforAslan » Oct 15, 2012 8:13 pm

Anybody else following the baseball postseason? So far it has been almost a complete wash for me.

The Dodgers narrowly missed a postseason berth after being eliminated in the final series of the season by the rival Giants. At that point I decided out of the teams that were left, I wanted the World Series Winner to be either the Braves, A's, Orioles, Tigers, Rangers, Nationals, or Reds. Can't stand the Giants, Cardinals, or Yankees. :P Come the Championship series, what do you know, all 3 teams I dislike have survived and only 1 of the teams I like made it.

At this point I'd prefer the Tigers to best the Yankees and the Cardinals to best the Giants, with the Tigers winning the WS.
MinotaurforAslan
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby stargazer » Oct 15, 2012 9:49 pm

I've been following the MLB playoffs fairly closely, even though the local team isn't there.

Purely in terms of play (not teams included), I've been pretty impressed. There have been a lot of extra-inning games, clutch home runs and catches, and other good plays.

I think I'd also like to see the Tigers meet the Cards in the World Series. (Cheers for flyover country! :) ). I suppose I should cheer for the Tigers since they're from the AL Central, but I'm not so sure. Here's hoping it will be a good series in any case.
stargazer

Postby AstroWolfD » Oct 16, 2012 6:39 am

stargazer, you're right... Astros and Rangers will be playing quite a bit next year. So long as we can come out on top in the season series (which I sort of doubt we will :p ), I'll be happy. My cousin is a Mariners fan, so that'll be fun playing them.

As far as the playoffs go, I was sort of pulling for the A's... but like most teams I start pulling for, they didn't fare so well :p. I'm not really that interested in any of the remaining teams, but I'm sure I'll be watching here and there just the same.

AROOOOOOO!!!
AstroWolfD
NarniaWeb Guru
Guard Wolf of the NW WC

Postby FencerforJesus » Oct 16, 2012 2:23 pm

I was rooting for a Nationals/Orioles World Series. Oh well. Now I'm going for Tigers/Cardinals because I don't want the Yankees or Giants to advance.

But how about those Broncos? Monday Night Football. Denver self-implodes in the 1st half and gives (literally) San Diego a 24-0 half-time lead. Then Peyton Manning shows up along with the defense, forcing a total of six turnovers and scoring 35 straight points to win 35-24. Absolutely amazing. I predict Denver will finish 11-5 this year and make a serious run in the playoffs. Looking at the comebacks they made in their three losses and last night, I don't think there is anyone Denver cannot beat. That being said, some of these teams can still beat Denver. We will see how it goes the rest of the season.
Be watching for the release of my spiritual warfare novel under a new title: "Call to Arms" by OakTara Publishing. A sequel (title TBD) will shortly follow.
FencerforJesus
NarniaWeb Zealot

PreviousNext