This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Special Feature: Children's Books

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Special Feature: Children's Books

Postby Rising_Star » Nov 08, 2009 2:55 pm

Just so you know, Kate, Go, Dog, Go! is not a Dr. Suess book. ;)) Neither are Are You My Mother? or Ten Apples Up On Top for that matter.

Awww, Stellaluna! My youngest sister adored that book when she was little. Starsy actually named her old computer Stellaluna.

I remember reading Frog and Toad and Amelia Bedelia for school. ;))

I have a pretty book of Hans Christian Anderson fairy tales. I can't find pics of it online so I'm gonna have to take a few. I'll post them when I do. :D

P.S."Brooklyn!"
Rising_Star
Moderator Emeritus
NarniaWeb's Resident Hunter

Postby sweeetlilgurlie » Nov 08, 2009 4:20 pm

My sister has the most beautiful picture book of Hans Christian Andersen tales. I begged and cried for her to leave it here when she moved, but she refused. The pages are edged in gold and the illustrations are beautiful.

One of my favorite stories by Hans Christian Andersen is The Snow Queen. You know, with Gerda and Kay and the journey through the seasons? I loved that book! I still do. Methinks I should buy some lovely picture books.
"Let the music cast its spell,
give the atmosphere a chance.
Simply follow where I lead;
let me teach you how to dance."
sweeetlilgurlie
Moderator Emeritus
The Sparkle Princess

Postby Nioniel » Nov 09, 2009 12:14 pm

Actually, Ryan, Ten Apples Up On Top was written by Theo LeSieg. Theo Lesieg is Dr Suess. ;)) Confusion confusion! He should have just kept his real name. :p

I looove picture books. :D

I've started collecting picture books, because my little siblings are always trashing and tearing apart my favourite ones. :P One thing I've noticed since starting to collect picture books, is that Robert Munsch books, despite being rather brilliant, are very hard to read aloud. Seriously. The only book of his that I've been able to read aloud properly was Zoom!, and that, only because it had a lot of capital letters that weren't hard to pronounce. :p Love You Forever is probably the most difficult, because every second page has a song. ;)

Favourites are Robert Munsch books, the Amelia Bedelia books, Dr Suess and alter egos and protege books, The Little Men and Little Miss books, the Frances books, Little Critter books, the Poppleton books, and, uh, lots of others, but I'll stop here.

For anyone who has had the misfortune of watching the Little Men and little Miss TV show, let me assure you that the books are nothing like it. The books are charming and ridiculous, and the TV show is just... stupid. :p
HomeschoolersTakingOverTheWorldClub - PM to join!
"They know everything on NarniaWeb" - Ben Barnes
NW sis to 7 l Twin to SusanP3 l PM pal of A.Fowlfreak
Chief of Random Inquires for the Lurkers Club
Nioniel
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby NaiadWaker » Nov 10, 2009 7:08 pm

Here are my favorite kid's books:
The Giving Tree
You Are Special
Fox in Socks
And many, many more...
NaiadWaker
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby WinterStar » Nov 12, 2009 7:26 pm

Ooh! Picture books! I collect picture books... :ymblushing:

Wow, you guys have already mentioned a lot of great ones. Unfortunately I cannot put up picture sof some of my most beloved picture books, but to name a few ..... The Palace of Stars by Patricia Lakin, Night Owls by Sharon Phillips Denslow, The Tale of Three Trees retold by Angela Ewell Hunt, The Big Big Sea by Martin Waddell and a few series, Amelia Bedlia, Lyle Crocodile, The picture books by James Herriot, and the ones Ruth Brown illustrated.
I know I said a few, and I wasn't lieing, all my favorites would take considerable time!
"I'm genuinely self-absorbed and deeply shallow!"
Avi & Sig by ValiantArcher
WinterStar
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby TheGeneral » Nov 12, 2009 8:39 pm

Rising_Star wrote:
I remember reading Frog and Toad and Amelia Bedelia for school. ;))

Amelia Bedelia... those books both made me laugh and yet made me so frustrated with her! lol But, I had my mom read those to me all the time. /:)
TheGeneral
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby johobbit » Nov 17, 2009 2:07 pm

Please note that this Special Feature will close on Saturday evening after which you may continue to discuss Children's Books in the current book thread.
johobbit

Previous