This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The Lion Awakes (upcoming film)

C. S. Lewis, his worlds, and his faith.

Moderators: coracle, Lady Arwen

Re: The Lion Awakes (upcoming film)

Postby icarus » Mar 25, 2012 5:15 am

glumPuddle wrote:Kickstarter marketing has begun. They're asking for donations. This page also says more about the story.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/the ... ion-awakes

The fact that they are asking for donations from members of the public to fund their movie doesn't do much to inspire confidence in the credibility of their production set-up for me....

Sure there is more than one way to go about producing a movie, and i think its admirable that two first time writers are choosing to produce their movie independently rather than selling their script to one of the big studios to produce, but something about the whole project seems to be not quite right.

For instance they say the movie will be released next year, yet they don't seem to have a distributor in place (i can think of several movies which whilst completed have sat on the shelf for years due to a lack of a distributor), they say that filming will begin in England this year, yet they don't seem to have any financial backing in place to do so (a film like The Kings Speech say, cost £10-15 million to produce), they bizarrely seem to have started work on the score already, yet they don't yet have a director in place (can you imagine any "A-List" director coming on board a project and not wanting to use his own composer or have any input in the score?) and several other little things which don't quite add up right now.

It's not to say they won't realise their dream and see the film through to production, but its just that by marketing the movie to the fanbase before they've even got anything much more than an unproven script in place, and by making bold claims about big name stars and "A-List" directors, they seem to be running the risk of setting themselves up for a big disappointment should they fail.
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby wolfloversk » Mar 27, 2012 5:29 pm

I smell big news on the horizon:

We have cancelled the kickstarter campaign due to some amazing news in our negotiations with a major film studio.
We will keep you all posted!

Source: https://www.facebook.com/TheLionAwakes/ ... 7131826110

This sounds interesting. I hope things pan out well :)
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby AstroWolfD » Mar 27, 2012 5:43 pm

Wow, that's great! I can't wait to find out more about this.
Avi and sig by the Wonderful wolfloversk

AROOOOOOO!!!
AstroWolfD
NarniaWeb Guru
Guard Wolf of the NW WC

Postby Louloudi the Centaur » Mar 27, 2012 5:52 pm

This could be helpful in marketing the film. :) I thought that it would be a bit too hard to make $105,000 minimum, so this is a good sign.

I wonder what studio is negotiating? As said, it's a major studio... :-\
Louloudi the Centaur
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby fantasia » Mar 28, 2012 12:34 pm

icarus wrote:The fact that they are asking for donations from members of the public to fund their movie doesn't do much to inspire confidence in the credibility of their production set-up for me....
I fully admit right now that I don't know the people involved and I've no idea of their background in the film industry. But I get the impression that they know very little about actually making a movie. Having said that, I admire their passion and drive, and I think this project has a lot of potential.
icarus wrote:It's not to say they won't realise their dream and see the film through to production, but ... they seem to be running the risk of setting themselves up for a big disappointment should they fail.
I agree with this. But I think all they really need at this point is someone who knows the film industry inside and out to pick up the script and get this project on the right track. And I'm hoping that the latest bit of rumor ends up being true and a good movie will be made! :) I love the idea of it, I'm just concerned about the technical side of things.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Glumpuddle » Apr 06, 2012 10:43 pm

YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot
Multimedia Producer, News Poster, Social Media Manager

Postby Louloudi the Centaur » Apr 07, 2012 6:42 am

Not really sure what I feel about Adrian Vitoria directing. I've only seen the trailers of a few things he's directed, and chances are he's not the one who put them together.

At the moment, I really hope that The Lion Awakes does not turn out to be another cheesy, "based on a true story" films. Lewis' life was much more than that. I do, however, think that we have at least one great scriptwriter who loves Lewis and Narnia, although the film is not even about Narnia.

I also have hope that the film will be a much bigger success that thought, although it's going to be nowhere near a summer blockbuster.
Louloudi the Centaur
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby icarus » Apr 07, 2012 12:32 pm

glumPuddle wrote:Adrian Vitoria will direct...

Hmm... they must have a vastly different definition of "A-List" director to most people. :-\

That said, looking at his IMDB, i have at least heard of one of his movies - "Age of Heroes" being one of the many dreadful direct-to-video movies starring Danny Dyer that seem to continually pollute the shelves of my local supermarket for some inexplicable reason. :-s

EDIT: Oddly enough, having looked at the back of the DVD in the shop today, it seems that "Age of Heroes" is about the real-life exploits of another famous author during WW2 (James Bond author Ian Fleming) - surely not a coincidence?
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby wolfloversk » Apr 07, 2012 3:00 pm

I need to check Word on the Street more often...

Honestly I haven't heard of him...

Then again I can count the number of directors I recognize on one hand so it probably doesn't mean much.

Also I'm not sure getting an "A-list" director was their top priority so much as getting an "A-list" actor.
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby AstroWolfD » Apr 07, 2012 4:44 pm

wolfloversk wrote:Honestly I haven't heard of him...

Then again I can count the number of directors I recognize on one hand so it probably doesn't mean much.

Ditto on both counts :p . Not a name that I recognized or was expecting. The actors will probably be as big a surprise. Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing...
Avi and sig by the Wonderful wolfloversk

AROOOOOOO!!!
AstroWolfD
NarniaWeb Guru
Guard Wolf of the NW WC

Postby fantasia » Apr 09, 2012 7:14 am

Never heard of the director or producer. Never heard of any of their movies. Interesting that they've worked together before, and that the Rosie Fellner is from Ireland.

I don't really have much else to say about this news. ;))
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Glumpuddle » Apr 09, 2012 11:09 am

I am not saying I think the film is going to be bad... It might be good. They just haven't given me a reason to get excited yet.

When I first heard they were making the movie, I thought "cool." And then, the more I heard about the film, the more difficult it became to take it very seriously...

The producers were constantly trying to assure people that production values would be high...usually a bad sign. They were bragging about the fact that they had the same attorney as The King's Speech. Months before shooting, and there was still no director. The trailer was rather cheesy and amateur. They started asking for donations.

It will be a remarkable thing if this film turns out to be good. I hope that happens.
YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot
Multimedia Producer, News Poster, Social Media Manager

Postby fantasia » Apr 12, 2012 3:09 pm

The director's and producer's names have disappeared from all of the official sites. Speculate away.....
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby wolfloversk » Apr 13, 2012 10:18 pm

fantasia_kitty wrote:Speculate away.....
You mean like how someone could have hacked onto their FB page and made a fake announcement as a cruel and belated April Fool's Day Joke? Ok, so I honestly don't think that happened :P

Actually, on the day of the announcement I noticed they hadn't updated their FB page... nor have I ever seen it put up anywhere's official (besides the FB post(s?) of course)... So I can't even say if they were "taken down" or not... Did they ever put them up? I haven't exactly been looking either...
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby Louloudi the Centaur » Apr 14, 2012 6:25 pm

Yeah, Adrian Vitoria isn't exactly an "A-list" director... but I am still curious as to why the announcement was taken down.

Anyways, here is a radio interview with Executive Producer Wernher Pramschufer, where he reveals some new behind the scenes things, including an idea of some A-list actors they are trying to get to play Lewis, and some more things some people might want to hear about...

http://www.premier.org.uk/entertainment
Louloudi the Centaur
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby johobbit » Apr 17, 2012 1:31 pm

I haven't read all through this thread, but my first thought when hearing about The Lion Awakes was "COOL!". It helps that Darren Jacobs is involved (having had a bit of contact with him through the Silver Leaves journal). But, honestly, I'm becoming more skeptical as time goes on. If it's done right, it should be excellent, but I have nothing yet to hang my hat on that gives me full confidence. Yet, I am hoping for the best, particularly since Shadowlands covered the later part of Lewis' life—and a very limited bit at that—yet largely left out the important faith aspect. So, I am cautiously optimistic, but am hoping for good things, since The Lion Awakes is about two men whose works I (and most of us) have admired, and whose lives I have been fascinated by pretty much my entire life. Anyway, we'll see ...

Never heard of Adrian Vitoria.
:P
johobbit

PreviousNext