This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Makeup & Hair

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Makeup & Hair

Postby Elanor » Sep 27, 2011 8:56 am

Ooh, now I want that first haircut, Coura!! :P I want to get one soon, and I'll probably just do what I did last time - cut 5 inches, and then do layers from the bottom of the ear down. I loved it when I did it, but I always want something interesting. xDD
NW sisters Lyn, Lia, and Rose
RL sister Destined_to_Reign
Member of the Tenth Avenue North and Pixar Club
Dubbed The Ally Of Epic Awesomeness by Libby
Elanor
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Lady Courage » Sep 27, 2011 11:26 am

Lady Lilliandil wrote:on the first hair style link, I use that same pic with the same model when I get my hair cut!!! Wow Random Huh! :D :p I love it too!

No kidding!? :)) That's hilarious! It is a cute cut! I've never hard my hair quite like that, but have had bangs that were nearly the same. Any chance of seeing your hair? I would love to see how your stylist pulls it off! :D

Elanor wrote:Ooh, now I want that first haircut, Coura!! :P I want to get one soon, and I'll probably just do what I did last time - cut 5 inches, and then do layers from the bottom of the ear down. I loved it when I did it, but I always want something interesting. xDD

:)) Do you cut your own hair, or get a stylist? Sounds like your "usual" isn't that all that different than that first picture. :P Why not try it? And share pics? :D
Sig by me | Av by Ithilwen
There is no such thing as a Painless Lesson
Lady Courage
NarniaWeb Guru

Location: With De_De, Libby and Lu, exploring Narnia with Frodo in Obi-Wan's spaceship. :D

Postby Elanor » Sep 28, 2011 8:37 am

I found a really nice hairstylist not far from me, and I've gone there once (for hair, anyway - she did my nails a while ago. :D). My usual isn't, in the technicality, but as my hair is very curly, it doesn't look anything like it. :P But if and when I get it cut, I'll try to post some pictures. :)
Elanor
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby IloveFauns » Oct 01, 2011 9:13 pm

I tried the vinegar baking powder thing. It turned out good. I added more vinegar than baking powder because my hair is oily.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby jillpole1 » Oct 02, 2011 7:55 pm

I have hair, about "7 inches below my shoulders, and it is wavy/curly.. I straighten it every once and a while, but I am trying to grow it out long, so I don't very often, any more. : ) Every day I where foundation, powder, a LITTLE eye shadow, and sometimes mascara... but it is really annoying, cause it smudges EVERYWHERE! And it looks really unnatural for my age...
I have a loreal eye shadow quad, from target, that is in Desert Sunrise, and it is GORGEOUS!! I %100 recomend it: http://www.target.com/p/L-Oreal-Studio- ... A-12262132 It looks just like this, but in Desert Sunrise, I hope I helped someone! : D
NW siblings: TheDwarfMan, TheGentleWarrior
NW Cousin: Weirdo

Avvie by: RubyGamgee - Signature by: Tarkheena
jillpole1
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Aslanisthebest » Oct 05, 2011 9:13 pm

I have a question for you all.

I have hair that is (from top to bottom) approximately 3 ft. It usually used to be light and not bothersome, but in summer, I didn't wash it for a LONG time. (At most, 2 months I think. It really wasn't smelling bad or bothering me very much, and it looked fine, plus I didn't have the time to wash it all.) After that it's been so thick and incredibly hard to manage. I wear it in a braid all the time, so I sleep with it that way, and previously when I woke up, it would be very easy to untangle it and rebraid it, but now there's always a fresh, thick mat of tangles that takes forever to get out and too, it's painful. What do I do? ;)) It does not feel very thick (just a little), but I honestly am getting frustrated with spending so much time untangling it.

I am considering cutting it, and I have a basic idea of what I want (something extremely simple and just SHORT.), but I can't bring myself to do it. :P
RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

Postby IloveFauns » Oct 06, 2011 1:32 am

I suggest you wash it ever 2 days, get it cut and thinned out.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Tarkheena » Oct 06, 2011 8:12 am

Aslanisthebest: I love long hair - mine is past my waist - but I agree that it can be bothersome. (Question: is yours straight or curly/wavy? 'Cause mine is very curly. Brushes don't like me. :p ) If you don't want to lose the length, but you want a style that's more manageable, then I recommend lots of long layers. You should probably take a few inches off the length, too. Haircuts are healthy, and three feet is a lot of hair.
avvie & sig by me

Team Hoodie!!!
Hoot Owl Of NarniaWeb
Tarkheena
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Elanor » Oct 06, 2011 8:21 am

I'm for cutting it, Bella. :P But if you do, make sure to show us pictures!! :D
Elanor
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Lady Galadriel » Oct 06, 2011 10:54 am

Aslanisthebest, if you're a bit nervous about cutting your hair, just don't do anything that you feel is extremely drastic at first. (For example, don't go from three feet of hair to only shoulder length. ;)) ) If I were you and I wanted shorter, I would just cut off a couple of inches at a time. As a matter of fact, I did that this summer and went from almost waist length to five inches shorter. I don't mind it. :D

I don't know if you've tried using many hair products, but maybe something would help keep the tangles down too.

Hope you find something that works for you! :)
Lady Galadriel
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Aslanisthebest » Oct 06, 2011 3:34 pm

Thank-you so, so much everyone for the tips!

ILF, that's a good idea - I didn't consider washing it out a little more regularly now to thin it. Personally, I don't wash my hair more than once a week (I used to wash it twice a while ago because it got oily fast) and because it takes so much effort, I hate the process of washing it, plus I don't want it *too* thin, but now it's very thick. Thanks! :)

That's so neat, Tarkheena! :) My hair is not perfectly straight, but it does gravitate much toward straight and wavy than curly, except when I wash it and don't comb it, it dries the *littlest* curly. *would /love/ curly hair* :P
The length is not very important to me style-wise, but more (ugh, I know this sounds lame. :P ) emoptionally. But I am debating whether it would be more stylish, if you will, if I kept it long, so thanks for your advice!

Ela, I think almost everyone (including almost most of myself. :P) is for cutting it! Thank-you for your input! :) I shall definitely come post pictures if and when I do cut it. :D

That's a good idea, Lady Galadriel. Like I said above to Tarkheena, I'm more nervous about me having an emotional breakdown than it being a change of style. :ymblushing: :ymblushing: :P I feel like with short hair, I can do so much more (how did you know I wanted it shoulder length? xD) but it's getting myself to actually do it that's the problem. That is a great idea, though. Thank-you very much. :)
I currently don't use any hair products except for shampoo and conditioner. We recently got a moisturizing-treatment conditioner, so I wonder if that might do anything. Thanks!! :)
RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Lady Arwen » Oct 12, 2011 4:32 pm

Wow, its been a while since I've been in this thread!!

I need help. :P I'm looking to temporarily dye my hair--like, my hair will be back to normal within a few washes. I only remember fuzzily hearing about such a product, so I don't know if it really exists when an average person can get her hands on it, but I figured here would be the right place to ask. ;))

Anyone have any ideas? :)
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby sillygoose » Oct 12, 2011 7:45 pm

Aslanisthebest, you have to really really think about cutting your hair before you actually do. Over the summer, I had really long, black, straight hair, that I know most girls would kill for. It was about to my waist and I loved it, but it started to get hot and annoying and I had really bad dandruff (under control now thanks to good old olive oil) so on a whim without thinking about it, I basically got my hair chopped off to barely touching my shoulders. The first couple weeks I was okay with it, but after awhile I regretted cutting my hair. It's so short I can't really do anything with it. It's been a month and a half now and I can finally put it up into a small ponytail. Homecoming's this weekend and I'm super jealous of all the girls who have longer hair and can do all those cool hairstyles. So now I'm just waiting for my hair to grow back, and this time if I can keep my skin under control, I don't plan to cut it for a long time.

BUT, if you do decide to cut it really short (change is always good) I recommend you donate it to locks of love. It makes me feel sooo much better about cutting my hair to know that I'm giving my hair away for a girl who deserves it.
Team Edward and Team Jacob are overrated. I'm Team Avatar!

Find me on Tumblr!
http://inside-the-mind-of-a-nerddess.tumblr.com/

Avvie by Rising_Star
sillygoose
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Lucy of Narnia » Oct 12, 2011 8:11 pm

I had a similar experience, sillygoose! I had about elbow-length hair, and I never did anything with it anyway, and it made my face look long (I have an oblong face so shorter cuts can look better). So I cut it. And now I can pretty much put it in a pony, but a bit of front hair falls out. And now I'm looking at mermaids (a new PotC On Stranger Tides-induced obsession XD) and I wish I had my long hair back, just for that. In reality, I think I'll just grow it a bit longer, cause I don't look good in super-long hair. [/ramble] Anyway, don't be surprised if, after you get it cut (if you decide to, of course) you go between elation and dregret then finally just get pretty used to it.
Avy by me, siggy by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
You suck a lollipop, and you sing a song. Get it right, Jo!
Lucy of Narnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Queen Susan » Oct 13, 2011 7:04 am

Lady A:

A few years ago for some sort of "drama" or something I died my hair black to be an Egyptian. ;)) It came out after just a few washes- maybe 5-7. My hair turned more purplish-gray then black... but I think that was because it was meant for darker hair then mine. (I should've gotten a stronger kind, or two bottles.)
I don't remember the price... My sister and some of her friends did it once as well, and it turned out pretty good, though the red hair was a drastic change for one of them-- so it was a little weird. ;)) But two days later it was practically gone.
(Pretty sure we got this dye at WalMart too... I'd assume they'd still carry something like it.)

There are dyes that you can buy to last for about a month, or 40 washes. My brother got one at Wal Mart I think? (also for a drama, but he had to be Chinese, not Egyptian.) It was very different at first, but everybody said it looked very natural. He had brown hair to begin with.
He tried dying it brown again, but that didn't really work...
He did it all on his own, using gloves. He dyed his eyebrows, which most people thought was a bad idea... He had to be careful not to get the dye too much on his skin, and to wipe it off his skin afterwards so his skin wouldn't turn a weird color. ;-)

He said it was uncomfortable being in the dye section where all you see are glamor shots of girls on boxes, so he said he saw "Black Dye. Fairly cheap." and he was out of there without much heed to ingredients or comparing boxes. ;)) Anyways, it worked for him.

That's about all I can think of that might be helpful. :p Hopefully it's sorta helpful. :p
Queen Susan
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Whistling Welcomer

Postby Lady Arwen » Oct 13, 2011 1:21 pm

That's funny about your brother, Queen Su!

Do you know what the brand you used was? I am looking for a short term one, like the one you used. The main reason why I can't do a longer-term dye (like for a month or more) is because I'm dual enrolled in two colleges, and one actually has a prohibition about dying your hair...soooo, I need to be able to clean it off fairly quickly. :P If you don't remember the brand, I'm sure I can wander around Wally World and find it. :)
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

PreviousNext