This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Musicians' Café

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Musicians' Café

Postby wisewoman » Aug 25, 2009 9:36 am

Do you play a musical instrument? Sing? Compose music? If so, this is the place for you to meet up with other musicians on NarniaWeb and talk about the music you create!

You may post links to videos of yourself or other musicians playing music. Remember, however, that this thread is primarily for the discussion of music that you are making. If you want to talk about your favorite band, please visit the Favorite Music thread.

To get the discussion started, consider answering these questions, if you like:

How long have you been playing?
Have you performed in public?
Are there instruments you don't play that you would like to learn?
What type of music do you prefer to play?
Do you write music or lyrics of your own?

Happy posting, music-makers! :)
"It is God who gives happiness; for he is the true wealth of men's souls." — Augustine
wisewoman
Moderator Emeritus
The Moddess of Sentence Surgery

Re: Musicians' Café

Postby MissAravis » Sep 04, 2009 2:26 pm

Yay, a new music thread! All right, here we go...

How long have you been playing? Harp for about 6(ish?) years and piano for 10.
Have you performed in public? Many times...
Are there instruments you don't play that you would like to learn? A stringed instrument (as in one that you use a bow with) would be really cool, but I don't think at this point I could pick one up!
What type of music do you prefer to play? I play mostly classical music (it's what I work on in lessons and such) but I enjoy arranging CCM/rock/pop for piano.
Do you write music or lyrics of your own? Sometimes I compose little pieces for the piano but nothing ever too complex.
MissAravis
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Erucenindë » Sep 04, 2009 2:47 pm

How long have you been playing? Piano for 10 years, Violin for 4 months.
Have you performed in public? Yes Numerous times. I still play piano in church, and I used to do many competitions.
Are there instruments you don't play that you would like to learn? Of course the violin, lol, I can only sorta play it. And bagpipes. I love those!
What type of music do you prefer to play? Nearly anything. I play anything from classical, to contemporary, to soundtracks.
Do you write music or lyrics of your own? 8-} That's a laugh! No, I don't. I am not capable of writing my own stuff without unintentionally copying someone else. :P
My Graphics Site
Council of Elrond - Best LOTR forum
Aliit ori'shya tal'din. ~ Mandolorian Proverb
Auta i lóme; Aurë entuluva. ~ Quenya
Erucenindë
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Aslanisthebest » Sep 04, 2009 3:25 pm

How long have you been playing? I've been playing the piano for about 11 years. I'm just learning to play the guitar. And this isn't playing, but singing is something I like doing.
Have you performed in public? Yes, a few times at churches. And some other places.
Are there instruments you don't play that you would like to learn? Violin, definitely. Drums, and guitar. (I'm learning, but not learning-learning. Like, not officially, yet.)
What type of music do you prefer to play? About anything that can be played on the piano. I play TobyMac, David Crowder * Band, so in those genres as well as classical.
Do you write music or lyrics of your own? My sister and I are in the process of writing a song, she's doing the music and I the lyrics. It's a work in progress.

I don't really look at Music as a big career for the future. I'll probably teach piano as a side, but I prefer it to be a hobby I enjoy. :)
RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Peepiceeka » Sep 04, 2009 4:03 pm

:) 1. I've been playing the piano for about six years and am at level 7(late intermediate).
2. My performances are at recitals, in the competitions, and sometimes when I visit family I play as well.

3. Guitar and flute.

4. Love to play Broadway musicals, and then Jazz, but I play Classical to compete.

5. As of now, no. ;)
Peepiceeka
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Queen Susan » Sep 05, 2009 12:29 pm

(First off: (off topic) Eru! You still have your old name! Did you switch it back? How...what...why....huh?) ;-)

1. I've been playing piano for about 8 years. Can't say I loved every bit of it... but I'm glad I've stuck with it. It really is fun, and now I love it, though I might not have when I was starting...

2. I've played 2 preludes for church so far, been to about 3 events where I was judged, and played at numerous recitals and at the nursing home various times as well. :-)

3. VIOLIN!!!!!!

4. That's a hard one. I like playing songs I make up.. :ymblushing: And various other ones. It depends on the song. I like some Classical, but not all.

5. Yep. Not tons and tons... but I have before a few times.
Queen Susan
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Whistling Welcomer

Postby Erucenindë » Sep 05, 2009 3:57 pm

Yes, I changed back. Fantasia Kitty said i could. maybe i should put that in my sig.... /:) lol!

seems alot of people here play piano!
My Graphics Site
Erucenindë
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby greenleaf23 » Sep 06, 2009 8:52 am

How long have you been playing?- I've been playing piano for...about 7 or 8 years now. I played baritone for three, and am trying to "re-learn" it.

Have you performed in public?- Not much, but a little.

Are there instruments you don't play that you would like to learn?- I'd love to learn guitar, cello, and saxophone.

What type of music do you prefer to play?-Mostly movie music and jazz. Maybe a little classical if I like it.

Do you write music or lyrics of your own?- =)) I'm with Eruce on this one, I could never write music or lyrics!
Avi by Visionsbeyond/Awesome sig by Flambeau! NW Sis:Jay
LiveJournal (not really too terribly empty anymore :P)
Team Hoodie!!
greenleaf23
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby true_narnia_forever » Sep 06, 2009 4:23 pm

Music is my life. It has always amazed me what God can do through it.

How long have you been playing?
I've played piano for 10 years and flute for 5 years, and I'm beginning to teach myself guitar
Have you performed in public?
Goodness yes... :P My piano teacher has put me in adjudications, playoffs, festivals, and competitions since I was 7. My flute teacher not so much, but we go to the flute festival every year and perform there. I'm also starting youth symphony soon which I'm extremely excited about. I LOVE playing with other people...more than solo piano, actually. There's something about making music with other people that I love, that teamwork effort, and that the focus isn't all on you.
Are there instruments you don't play that you would like to learn?
YES. If I had the time and money I think I'd play just about every instrument there was. But specifically I'd like to learn violin, harp, piccolo, contrabass flute, [or any kind of flute, really], and maybe cello, timpani, bass, and maybe a brass instrument. I'd also like to improve my voice. :P
What type of music do you prefer to play?
A wide range, actually. I love classical [and right now I am particularly excited about it] and have played that most of my life. Recently I have found a love for sacred ensemble music, just because it takes the focus entirely off me and puts it all on God. I love playing hymns and worship music. I'm working on learning some contemporary Christian music on guitar, but I fail miserably when it comes to singing, so that doesn't always work out so well. :P
Do you write music or lyrics of your own?
I've written a couple, but I was never one for words and can't get the thoughts out on paper, much less a song format, to save my life. I can add a couple pretty things to music, but I've never been able to compose.

Has anyone been to the National Music Museum in South Dakota? It's my dream to go there. My flute teacher sent me pictures from it and it looks like the most fascinating place in the world to be. All the instruments from around the world...upright grand pianos, double harps, and harp-guitars...it's fascinating!!
Aslan's Country, the Narnia forum I co-administrate!
My Blog!
true_narnia_forever
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby campgirl » Sep 06, 2009 8:11 pm

How long have you been playing? Guitar for 3 or 4 years, piano for a few months.
Have you performed in public? Yes. I hate playing in front of people, though!!
Are there instruments you don't play that you would like to learn? YES!! ANYTHING and EVERYTHING!! ;))
What type of music do you prefer to play? Pretty much everything.
Do you write music or lyrics of your own? No way!! I can't do anything like that!! :p
Team Hoodie! | Keeper of the Secret Magic | ♥
campgirl
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby loper42 » Sep 06, 2009 10:19 pm

Hello all. Normally I post in the fan art thread, but since I discovered this thread I thought I'd some of my musical love. :)

How long have you been playing? I've been playing guitar for about 3 years and I'm loving every minute of it. I tried Piano for about 6 months, but I wasn't into it.
Have you performed in public? I performed the piano a few times in public, but never playing guitar.
Are there instruments you don't play that you would like to learn? I actually want to re-learn playing the piano because it seems like fun to learn.
What type of music do you prefer to play? I love finger-picking so mostly classical.
Do you write music or lyrics of your own? Well, not write exactly, but I love to make up littler tunes, but never a full song and normally without lyrics. Its usually just the music.

Photobucket
Livejournal
loper42
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Queen Susan » Sep 09, 2009 2:28 pm

Come, come, Kat Aren't you going to post a short little paragraph about what 10thAve.N. said about your videos? ;-) Just kidding.

Welcome, loper42! I haven't seen you around... :ymblushing: I guess I mostly stick around other parts of the forum. Anyway, nice to see you here!
Queen Susan
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Whistling Welcomer

Postby Erucenindë » Sep 09, 2009 2:44 pm

what, 10AvNorth said something about your videos Kat? or is she just playing around? *eagerly awaits news*
My Graphics Site
Erucenindë
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Queen Susan » Sep 09, 2009 3:10 pm

Visit Kat's post here, Eru: (:D) I'll let you read it in her words. *cough cough*
http://www.narniaweb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=135&start=112

*hopes this isn't off topic.* :ymblushing:
Queen Susan
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Whistling Welcomer

Postby NaiadWaker » Sep 09, 2009 4:54 pm

Okay, introducing myself to this wonderful thread:

How long have you been playing? I've played violin for 4 years, french horn for 2 years, 3 months teaching myself piano, 5 months teaching myself clarinet!
Have you performed in public? Yes, multiple times at church (playing violin only.)
Are there instruments you don't play that you would like to learn? I've always wanted to play flute, but things have always gotten in the way! I tried when I was 7, but I was too small to reach the end keys! Then I tried again in middle school band, but after trying it numerous times at band night, I discovered that I couldn't make a single sound on the flute. :( Now I want to play oboe!
What type of music do you prefer to play? classical
Do you write music or lyrics of your own? yes, i do!
NaiadWaker
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Erucenindë » Sep 09, 2009 7:51 pm

WOW!!!!!!!!!! Aravis that is soooo exciting! That is the best thing ever! :ymhug:
My Graphics Site
Erucenindë
NarniaWeb Guru

Next