This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

"Dawn Treader" DVD Packaging

Stuff to fill your Wardrobe!

Moderator: Meltintalle

"Dawn Treader" DVD Packaging

Postby Rumblebuffin » Jun 28, 2011 10:43 am

Greetings! I've been "lurking" here for years, but finally registered so that I could post this question.

After reading through lots of posts here, at Amazon.com, and at other forums, here's what I've come up with already:

Although the content and package artwork of the three-disk blu-ray package sounds interesting, I'm shying away from purchasing it because of the complaints some have about disks being scratched during shipping and/or easily becoming scratched, about disks being damaged by glue, and about how fragile the packaging is.

What I'm not clear on is whether the packaging for either the two-disk DVD or the single DVD is any better.

I've recently gone through returning merchandise to my preferred retailer, and I'm hoping not to have to go through that process again any time soon.

Comments about whether the two-disk DVD or the single DVD is a better deal will also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Rumblebuffin
NarniaWeb Newbie

Re: "Dawn Treader" DVD Packaging

Postby 8SilverSky » Jul 04, 2011 5:17 pm

Hey Rumblebuffin!

I don't know about the casing about the DVDs, so I can't give you any insight on those. However, I got the Blu-Ray version myself, and although I know the problems that are associated with it, I would still very much recommend it. The artwork on/in it is beautiful.

Since you are only going to be able to use the digital copy once, you don't have to worry about that one too much. Unless for some reason you want to see the artwork on the disc every time you open the package, you will probably barely, if ever, remove it from the sleeve after you downloaded your digital copy from it.

Now what you have to decide is which version you'll be using to watch the movie the most. If you're buying the Blu-Ray disc version, I'm assuming you'll be using the Blu-Ray disc for watching the movie the most.

Now, what I did to prevent my Blu-Ray disc from scratching was to switch it with the placement of the DVD (ie. I put the Blu-Ray disc in the steering-wheel fold-out, as that one is the most protective for whichever disc it contains). As long as you gently put the disc on the steering-wheel foamy circle, you shouldn't have any issues taking it off later without scratching the disc. I've taking mine out and put it back in about 15-20 times now (because I'm cool like that B-)), and it's still nice 'n shiny!

The packaging itself isn't the most sturdy I've ever seen, but as long as you handle it normally, it shouldn't suddenly rip on you. I don't know about the glue/shipping thing, as I just got mine from the local Blockbuster and the disc seemed to be fine.

Of course, the only way of getting the high definition version of Narnia 3 is to buy the Blu-Ray disc version, so if that's what you're looking for, you don't have much choice. (Plus, the HD version looks amazing!).
8SilverSky
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Rumblebuffin » Jul 07, 2011 7:54 am

8SilverSky,
Thanks for being the one person to reply so far!

I had tried to post this to the "General Movie Discussion" forum, which seems to be a lot more active. One of the moderators decided my post needed to be moved here. Hopefully before too long a few others will notice this thread and respond!

The "glue damage" problem is real, so count yourself fortunate! For one example, check the posts from Josh and Rob Case on April 9, near the bottom of this thread:
http://www.narniaweb.com/2011/04/detailed-dawn-treader-blu-ray-review/
And that's not as bad as the complaint from one customer at Amazon.com, who said that about 20 minutes of her blu-ray disk were unplayable.

And if the glue doesn't get on the disks, there are other complaints about disks arriving already badly scratched in transit, before they're removed from the package.

Sure, I like the looks of the package, and I'd like to get the package with everything included. Part of the problem is that so far I don't own any blu-ray equipment, though I am likely to purchase some before the year's over. So, even if the blu-ray disk is not visibly damaged, there's always the chance that I may not find out that it's not playable until some point in the future, after I've lost my opportunity to return it.
Rumblebuffin
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby 8SilverSky » Jul 08, 2011 3:32 pm

I've tried to find some more info about people having damaged discs from the Blu-Ray packaging, but I haven't been successful.

Also, I'm not quite sure where all this glue is really coming from. I checked my packaging, but the only glue I can really find is the foamy button on the steering wheel fold-out. The rest of the packaging doesn't seem to have any. It has a nice, plastic-y finish. If you look at these pictures on Amazon, you'll see what I mean with the foamy button (the fifth picture is a nice close-up)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media ... F8&index=0

The bottom disc is held in place by the foamy button. When you first get the disc, you'll probably have some trouble getting the disc off that button, since it's pushed onto the button quite "deep". The button doesn't get thinner when you press it (unlike a regular case), so to get the disc off the first time is quite hard. However, when you put it back on, you only have to press it on the button really lightly, and then it would come off easily the next time again.

I wouldn't be too worried about purchasing the Blu-Ray disc version. If you get it and the discs are clean, they should play fine in the future, when you get a Blu-Ray disc setup. Of course, you can also wait with purchasing the movie up to that point :) Some people seem to have had problems with it, but a lot of people didn't, which is also something to consider.
8SilverSky
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Rumblebuffin » Jul 16, 2011 10:23 pm

Thanks for the second reply, 8SilverSky. Still hoping a few others will share their thoughts and experiences.
8SilverSky wrote:Some people seem to have had problems with it, but a lot of people didn't, which is also something to consider.

For sure. Glad you were a satisfied customer, and of course many others were. I guess there's no way of knowing whether the dissatisfied customers are less than 1% or more than 20%. If you saw the customer reviews on Amazon, some people were very vocal about their dissatisfaction. And, the big question, what will be the quality of the package I receive, and will I be a satisfied customer?

I don't think I'm going to wait a real long time before purchasing. My DVD drive has quit working, and my eagerness to view all the movies again is an important driving force to get me to shop for the replacement drive soon, and the DVD soon afterwards.

I don't know. Maybe I'll buy that premium 3-disk set with the blu-ray, and hope for the best. Or maybe I'll buy the single or double DVD if I find out it's in packaging that's more durable and protects the DVD better.

Please share what you know about the packaging and your personal experiences, people! You might also want to share where you bought it, since that may have some bearing on the quality of what you received. (I did see some negative comments about Walmart on this site -- apparently they do their own manufacturing and packaging, and it may not always be to the same standards.)
Rumblebuffin
NarniaWeb Newbie