This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Jill Pole: Appearance, Personality, and Portrayal

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

What does Jill look like to you?

Brunette (brown or black, any shade)
21%
Redhead (red, orange, ginger- any shade
4%
Blond Hair (from white to golden, to "dirty"-any shade)
10%
Hair with Body (straight, curly, crimped a mix- any body)
19%
Straight Hair (self explanatory)
11%
Blue Eyes
6%
Green Eyes
8%
Brown Eyes
7%
Hazel Eyes
13%
Black or Gray Eyes
1%

Total votes : 230

Re: Jill Pole: Appearance, Personality, and Portrayal

Postby Jill_Pole » Jun 12, 2011 3:48 am

Just saying, awesome hair: http://www.hji.co.uk/image/1979-halo-plait-qhs2810.html

Also, should Eustace and Jill attend a coronation ceremony of Rilian?
And should they be made Lord and Lady?
Jill_Pole
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby CharlotteRose » Jun 13, 2011 8:26 am

I was thinking that. It would be nice really as they do all that stuff and really save Narnia and then they just go have as plain Jill and Eustace. Its a bit of a step down from the pevensies who did almost the same thing in essence and got made high/kings and high/queens! It would give a nice happy atmospheric ending as well! :)
Narnia is childhood...

Seriously, just give the kid the orange. He needs his vitamin C!
CharlotteRose
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby NarnianAtHeart » Jun 13, 2011 9:10 am

Thanks for the picture Jill I understand more what a solid plait hairstyle looks like.I do like the idea of them at Rillians coronation.
WILL POULTER IS EUSTACE club!

sincerely NAH ( Narnian At Heart)
Narnia a world were you and I belong
NarnianAtHeart
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Forgotten Queen of Narnia » Jun 13, 2011 3:06 pm

I love the idea about starting out in a braid. Then maybe when she lands, she's all disheveled. Then at the castle she gets a narnian dress and her hair is fixed up to display her waves/curls. as the movie progresses, her hair becomes even more free, but still beautiful in a way that seems to suit her. What do you think?
My picture of Jill is brown hair, a bit past shoulder length and a pass between wavy and curly. You know, like, not ringlets, but definitely some bounce. I think her eyes should be not hazel exactly, but not really a definite color. I think it would be cool if they were kind of a mysterious color, and looked diferent in different lightings. I don't know, just some thoughts. :D
What do you guys think?
FQoN

I am the Queen of Narnia against whom C. S. Lewis held a grudge and hence did not mention in his books.

I am in favor of a Jill/Tirian romance. After all, I know that it really did happen because I was there to see it when it did happen...
Forgotten Queen of Narnia
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby Jill_Pole » Jun 13, 2011 7:19 pm

Well you basically described me.... a little bit... freaky :P

Oh: Narnian At Heart... I was thinking more a simple plait that goes a bit past her shoulders with a thin ribbon and that picture for the coronation or somthing

which hair colour (closest to) do you prefer??:
(you click on the "click to enlarge")

http://www.justwigitfashions.com.au/pro ... cts_id=325
Jill_Pole
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby NarnianAtHeart » Jun 14, 2011 8:37 am

I like the Dark Golden Brown the best with Light Gloden Brown in second.
Jill:So the top one is for the coronation?And you wanted a more simple one with her at boarding school.
WILL POULTER IS EUSTACE club!

sincerely NAH ( Narnian At Heart)
Narnia a world were you and I belong
NarnianAtHeart
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Jill_Pole » Jun 15, 2011 4:40 am

Erm... well actually I just found the picture and thought you guys would like it! But it could be included prehaps at Harfang or when she first lands in Narnia?
Prehaps when she first lands she could still be quite awkward and the Narnian style doesnt suit her straight away like it suits Eustace... but as she goes along it becomes more loose and natural?
Jill_Pole
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Evelyn » Jun 16, 2011 6:45 am

This is really fun! :D I chose red curly/wavy hair with green eyes, but I don't really care that much. The only reason I said that combination is because 1) I don't want dark hair and blue eyes because that will look like she's a Pevensie and 2) it would look better if she didn't have blonde hair (imo) since Will Poulter has blonde hair (this is assuming that he will play Eustace when ever they make SC and LB).
Merry Christmas!

"I'm here to save Elizabeth!" ~ Will Turner
Evelyn
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Jill_Pole » Jun 16, 2011 6:19 pm

Evelyn... HE WILL PLAY EUSTACE or I will cry.... alot!

I was thinking and she has to be very different to the Pevesies....

so lighter brown hair?
Jill_Pole
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby AslansChild » Jun 18, 2011 5:02 pm

I always thought Jill would be kinda tall and willow-y. Or maybe she'd be the opposite...kinda chubby. (another reason to be bullied?)

Also, she'd have kinda limp hair, dark, and colorless eyes, like gray...not alot of life in appearances...but her personality has alot of spunk. She's always willing to help Eustace out of a jam...and beat his persecutors up at the same time. ;)

I'm actually for a Jill/Eustace romance (not kissing or anything, just...better friends...more grown up)...but when they're in England...they should just be buddies...I always thought of the school as a military school: Blue shorts, long socks, blue jackets...stuff like that. But once they're in Narnia and they learn to use a bow and arrow and stuff...Eustace can see that Jill is kinda...girly. She'll have narnian dresses, and her hair could get a little more volume and curl a little at the ends...and she'll defiantly be way happier to be away from the bullies.

Another point...i haven't read the book in years...but why couldn't the bullies at school be girls? I mean, in real life: boys bully boys, girls torment other girls.

I always thought it would be a cool scene for the (boy) bullies to walk by and do something to Eustace...and Jill would say: "Don't let 'um bother you Eustace...they're just bullies." And later the (girl) bully's tease Jill about being ugly or a tomboy or something, and Eustace would grin and say: "Don't let 'um get to you Jill...they're just cats." (or whatever) and then she'd smile a bit and feel better.

any thoughts?
"...when my heart is overwhwlemed, lead me to the Rock that is higher than I."
-Pslam 61:2
AslansChild
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Lu_valient » Jun 18, 2011 6:00 pm

made by katherine
Lu_valient
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Jill_Pole » Jun 20, 2011 1:31 am

Aslans Child: I like the idea of her being tall and skinny, like a bean "pole" and people can tease her for being like her name.

Would you agree that in England she has a limp personality because she is crying quite a bit. Then in Narnia her personality and appearance perks up and she has more 'spunk'

Instead of a 'romance' between Eustace and Jill prehaps just some tension for example if Jill gets a fright she will grab Eustace and hide behind him and then realize what she is doing and let go of him awkwardly.... I can think of several moments when that would lighten the story and would provide a bit of a sub plot.

I am re-reading the book now and she apparently is wearing shorts, but I think that she should wear them underneath the Narnian dress as to provide modesty.

(Lu_Valient, that is a good colour)

For the beginning of the movie I would start with this (this is copy pasted from another forum)

The whole thing could start with the camera following an old fashioned car though the school gates and then it lifts up and does and areal shot and you see (half birds eye view) Eustace saying goodbye to Edmund and Lucy and then because the camera is level with a window, it "melts through" the glass and you see Jill alone in a class room, watching out the window.

Then cut to a scene of Eustace walking through the corridors and then after seeing the bullies/ them, ducks through a side door and eventually bursts into the classroom Jill is in. She turns around and sees him, and he trys to talk to he ("Oh! Hello... Pole... Sorry, erm, I didn't know you where.... Hi..) and she rushes past him and runs out of the room.

He sits down at a desk and takes out his diary and looks at drawings he has done... they begin to move and he draws other things and when the camera pans out again the class is on and the mayhem of these schools is apparent. The teacher (female) is crying being comforted by two students. Other stuff, and Jill is sitting on a window sill reading (but you don't see who she is yet). the camera "Walks" up the aisle and when it gets to the front one of the bullies throws a paper ball at Jill (camera follows ball as it hits he head and falls into her lap, you still havent seen her properly). She picks it up, and screws it and reads "you're next" and then finally the camera pans up and you see her face....

I won't post all of it now, but that my idea for a start, then following that would be the bullies chasing her because I don't want the movie to just start with her crying
Jill_Pole
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby AslansChild » Jun 20, 2011 7:48 am

I really like your idea of the shots and everything...and including that bit with Ed and Lu would be a great cameo for Skandar and Georgie!

Few questions though:

1. "Then cut to a scene of Eustace walking through the corridors and then after seeing the bullies/ them, ducks through a side door and eventually bursts into the classroom Jill is in. She turns around and sees him, and he trys to talk to he ("Oh! Hello... Pole... Sorry, erm, I didn't know you where.... Hi..) and she rushes past him and runs out of the room."

Why would Eustace be a little stuttering-y with Jill, don't they know each other? And why would she run out of the room? And I thought only the bullies called her "Pole" And don't the Pevensies know who Jill is? Wouldn't Eustace introduce her to them, and vice versa?

2."The teacher (female) is crying being comforted by two students. Other stuff, and Jill is sitting on a window sill reading (but you don't see who she is yet). "

Why is the teacher crying? Is her husband at war? Is the war still on in this book?
Why is Jill at the window reading when schools started? And why wouldn't the audience know who she was if in the earlier scene Eustace see her and calls her "Pole" and you see her clearly through the window while Eustace is saying good bye to the Pevensies?

3. To clarify...she reads "you're next"...as in, it's in her book? She's not just saying it under her breath?

Sorry for all the questions...I really love all your ideas, I just wanted to clarify some things. (And I haven't read the book in years...so I forgot a lot :ymblushing: )
"...when my heart is overwhwlemed, lead me to the Rock that is higher than I."
-Pslam 61:2
AslansChild
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Jun 20, 2011 1:11 pm

AslansChild wrote:Another point...i haven't read the book in years...but why couldn't the bullies at school be girls? I mean, in real life: boys bully boys, girls torment other girls.
In the book, the bullies were both boys and girls. Also, I was bullied by both boys and girls so it isn't always the case that boys bully boys and girls bully girls.

Mod Note: This thread is beginning to get off topic and starting to discuss what the movie should be like. Please keep to discussing aspects of Jill's character. :) If you would like to discuss scenes in the movie, please do it in the The Silver Chair: Your Thoughts on the Possible Film. The first post is here. Thank you. :)
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby Jill_Pole » Jun 21, 2011 3:37 am

(Sorry Pattertwigs Pal, nobody has posted on that thread for ages, and I will only bring up my cinematic ideas that relate to portraying Jill, is that ok?)

1. Well, because "last term" Eustace was almost "one of them" and as really mean to Jill, and now he is trying to be nice. Also, he as just left the two people who he could talk about his experiences with and he is trying to befriend Jill who he knows hates the school as much as he does. :)

2. I have no idea why I put that, but I really wanted to show that the teacher wasn't in control. :-s

I think, its jsut that you dont see Jill clearly until that point? Prehaps until then you just see half her face or something? You are really making me think about what I write, and how I should make it better THANK YOU!!!!! :D

3. She reads "your next" from the piece of paper that was thrown at her from one of the bullies :)

Don't worry about asking questions, I do it all the time :)

Pattertwigs Pal: I agree that the bullies should be both boys and girls, and I was also bullied, but by only girls because I was at a single gender school.... it stays with you for life :(
Jill_Pole
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Jun 21, 2011 11:43 am

Jill_Pole wrote:(Sorry Pattertwigs Pal, nobody has posted on that thread for ages, and I will only bring up my cinematic ideas that relate to portraying Jill, is that ok?)
As long as it relates to Jill and how she is portrayed that's fine. Jill needs to be the focus. For example, showing her reaction to certain settings or characters.
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

PreviousNext