This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Board Games!!!

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Board Games!!!

Postby outlier » May 26, 2011 10:26 pm

Shadowlander wrote:One of the reasons I dislike Monopoly so much stems from my youth when I (and every other kid at the table) wanted to play with the car. But only the most popular kids ever got it, so I usually just use the top hat since no one else will pick it up. ;))

LOL that's kinda like the same thing with my friends when we were younger, only for us it was the dog... Soon after I started playing though we learned about robber barrons and stuff like that at school so I switched to the sack of money in an attempt (which never worked) to scare people :p
Signature by Tarkheena, Avatar by Ithilwen
Sneaky Ninja of the Lurkers Club
outlier
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Shadowlander » May 27, 2011 3:49 am

PA wrote:It used to be this wooden sword Dad made for it, he'd burn the winners names and the date they'd win onto it. When both sides got filled up, he made this huge shield, which they still use.

That...is...AWESOME! :ymapplause:

That's like the Stanley Cup...of Risk! If I ever find myself in your neck of the woods you can count on a match B-) .

Pattertwig's Pal wrote:I have Lord of the Rings Trivial Pursuit. We had to stop playing because we were cycling through the all cards.

My brothers, nephew, and I had the same exact problem with the Star Wars Original Trilogy edition. We played it approximately twice and beat the game on the first round for both games. I was third in line and had to patiently wait for my nephew and then my younger brother to goof up on their questions. When it finally got to my turn I never missed a question and won it all in one turn...this is the life of a nerd; Glorious conquest over my friends, family, and peers while playing nerdy games, while the rest of my friends were out dating beautiful women and living adventurous lives. Whatever! I still owned them all on Star Wars Trivial Pursuit! :))

Of course the single biggest problem with Trivial Pursuit is that once you have played through several times questions will begin to repeat and of course someone with a knack for memory (who by default will probably be a very good TP player) will wipe the floor with their competition.
Kennel Keeper of Fenris Ulf

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby bzau » Jun 12, 2011 9:19 am

:-o I had to dump my collection of games to keep the wife happy :(( . I sold them all on e-bay- Now I just Collect Cribbage boards I have about 80 and counting. It's not the same thing as picking up a "1967" "Black Cat" Michigan Rummy game at the Goodwill for$1.50 but it keeps the peace.

My buddy wrote a cribbage board collecting lens at Squidoo, eventually he said he'll add some pics of my boards. http://www.squidoo.com/cribbage-board-collecting-and-types-of-collections
bzau
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby sweeetlilgurlie » Jun 12, 2011 10:12 am

So, I was introduced to a board/card game called Dominion just a few weeks back and it was really quite fun. The game changes every time you play it. It's really hard to explain, but if I had the directions, I'm sure I could make you understand. :P

The game was made in Germany or some other foreign country where they've got great ideas for board and card games, but the translation of the game description into English is just about hilarious:

"You are the ruler of a peaceful land filled with evergreens and flowing rivers, like your parents before you. But unlike your parents, you have hopes and dreams! You want more rivers, and an even wider variety of trees! You want a dominion."

There's more but I don't remember it. Plus the bit on the expansion pack is really funny too. Check it out, buy it! Great game. :)
"Let the music cast its spell,
give the atmosphere a chance.
Simply follow where I lead;
let me teach you how to dance."
sweeetlilgurlie
Moderator Emeritus
The Sparkle Princess

Postby Shadowlander » Jun 12, 2011 2:11 pm

sweeet wrote:So, I was introduced to a board/card game called Dominion just a few weeks back and it was really quite fun

I know of that one but I have not played it myself. It's quite funny, but wisewoman also apparently is a Dominion player. You two should play a hand sometime! ;))

bzau wrote:I had to dump my collection of games to keep the wife happy :(( . I sold them all on e-bay- Now I just Collect Cribbage boards I have about 80 and counting. It's not the same thing as picking up a "1967" "Black Cat" Michigan Rummy game at the Goodwill for$1.50 but it keeps the peace.

That breaks my heart to hear! I have roughly around 80 and I'm reasonably sure that 100 will be my cutoff point (for practical reasons). I've heard that Michigan Rummy is another name for Tripoley...is that true? I have a Tripoley set that was made in the mid 1940's (it belonged to my aunt and uncle) and also has a horse race game, the standard checkers, some sort of number game, and a few other doo-dads in there...been wanting to play the Tripoley portion but I'm unsure how. :(

And if you and fantasia_kitty could teach me how to play Cribbage I'd be greatly appreciative. ;))

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Jun 12, 2011 6:28 pm

Bzau, that's rough mate. I thought part of marriage was to be accepting of each other, flaws and all. And hobbies should be included in there too. :(
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby bzau » Jun 13, 2011 9:53 am

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:Bzau, that's rough mate. I thought part of marriage was to be accepting of each other, flaws and all. And hobbies should be included in there too. :(

It's all good - I'm sure i needed to clean house anyway and i'm really enjoying cribbage board collecting.
bzau
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby Miss Rosario » Jun 14, 2011 4:13 pm

1. What is your favorite board game? Oh man. I want to say Apples to Apples, but I suppose that doesn't count... so I'll go with Clue and Scrabble instead.

2. What piece do you prefer to play with in Monopoly? I don't even remember the pieces. ;))

3. Trivial Pursuit: Love it or hate it? Never played it, but it sounds like something I'd enjoy. I have played Global Pursuit, though.... it's a blast! :D Our family loves it.

4. What three boardgames would you take with you if you were deserted on an island? Apples to Apples (I'll just count it anyway :p ), Scrabble, and...um...Monopoly I guess.

5. What color do you like to use? (pawn, token, armies, etc.) Blue! And if that's taken, green.

6. Who do you like to play as for Clue (or Cluedo)? Miss Scarlet

7. Given the choice would you rather play a game that exercises your brain (like Chess, Mahjong, or Go) or is more simple fun or has storytelling elements (like Life, Battleship, or Sorry!)? Deeeeeefffffinitely a storytelling game. :p

8. Chess or Checkers? Checkers, hands down. Chess is a pain to the brain. ~x(

9. Name a board game you've always wanted to play but never got around to: I'd like to try Cribbage. Several of my friends have played it, and it sounds like fun!

10. What board game do you play more than any other? Probably Sorry!.

Other favorites include Pictionary, Battleship, Uno, and (especially!) Pit. Have any of you guys played Pit with spoons? It's so much fun! :D
Icon by fireworks123
NW little sister to Windsong
NW twin to Rosie

"I don't run away from a challenge because I am afraid. Instead, I run toward it because the only way to escape fear is to trample it beneath your feet." -Nadia Comaneci
Miss Rosario
NarniaWeb Fanatic
Wandering Welcomer

Postby stargazer » Jul 17, 2011 7:00 pm

A while back Shadowlander mentioned a game called Ticket to Ride. I played it for the first time last night with some friends. It was fun! (We played the Europe version). The emphasis on 'longest railroad' for additional victory points reminded me of the similar 'longest road' in Settlers of Catan.

Cribbage is a fun game, Shadowlander. Other than kids' games and 500, it was one of the earliest 'real' card games I learned, when my mother picked up a cribbage board (with metal pegs rather than the plastic ones common now) for a dime at a yard sale about 45 years ago. ;))
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Shadowlander » Jul 17, 2011 7:56 pm

I'm so glad you enjoyed it, gazer! I've only tried the original version, although because only me and my younger brother and sometimes Wifester are the only ones playing it's been suggested that I get TtR: Nordic Countries since it's designed for fewer players.

Did it get cutthroat? It can be frustrating when someone cuts you off by claiming a route and you have to do an ad hoc work around to complete your ticket, but I think that's also part of the fun. Did you win? :D

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby stargazer » Jul 17, 2011 8:14 pm

We only had 3 players, Shadowlander, so it was relatively easy to get the big ticket railroads built. It did get cutthroat when someone cut me off on one of my minor fares to try to get longest railroad.

I came in 3rd place each time; I attribute that to my rookie status playing experienced opponents.

The Nordic version sounds like a good alternative for fewer players.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Nellie of Narnia » Jul 30, 2011 8:24 am

Miss Rosario wrote:1. What is your favorite board game? Oh man. I want to say Apples to Apples, but I suppose that doesn't count...

Other favorites include Pictionary, Battleship, Uno, and (especially!) Pit. Have any of you guys played Pit with spoons? It's so much fun! :D

I really like Apples to Apples, too! Such an amazing, and easy-to-understand, group game! Does anyone else like this game?

Pit is awesome, too! And yes, I have played it with spoons. Really fun! :)

Has anyone played the game Big Business? It's similar to Monopoly, but older I think. My dad played it and loved it growing up, but since the game belonged to his brother, he inherited it instead of my dad. But... my brother fairly recently found a copy for sale online, on e-bay I think, and bought it for my dad for his birthday! So now we have a copy of our own, and a few months ago, I played it with my dad. It was quite fun!
"Polly knew at once that it was the Cabby's wife, fetched out of our world not by any tiresome magic rings, but quickly, simply and sweetly as a bird flies to its nest."
(The Magician's Nephew, Chapter 11)

Real life daughter to johobbit!
NW niece to ramagut.
NW Hobbit cousin to coracle.
Nellie of Narnia
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Shadowlander » Jul 30, 2011 9:03 am

I've never played Apples to Apples. I have a hard time getting more than 2 for any of the games I've already got ;)). The group game (or "Party Game" as they're known) that I've always really enjoyed was Scattergories. That's a blast ;))

Here's another game that I find to be a whole pile of fun. :D

In Pandemic 2-4 players assume the roles of various medical professionals and work together to stop 4 epidemics from sweeping the globe. Each player type has a special ability. The Medic can clear out infection in cities faster and more efficiently than any of the other players. The Researcher allows card trades between players to be super efficient (of great importance). Everyone races around the board trying to clear out infection, and each turn cards are drawn and new infection gets placed on the board. When a city reaches 3 disease cubes and receives an additional disease cube there's an Outbreak, and the disease spreads to all adjacent cities (up to 5 in some cases). If the neighboring cities are maxed out a chain reaction might occur in which a disease acts like a wildfire. Once there have been 8 such Outbreaks players lose. And so Pandemic is very much at its core a race against time as players split job duties to ensure that the diseases never get too overwhelming while trying to research a cure for each disease which will allow them to win the game.

These are the most dreaded cards in the game

People really get into this game ;))

Great fun and easy to learn, but very hard to master. If you liked the movie Outbreak then you'll love Pandemic. :D

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby Shadowlander » Sep 13, 2011 12:52 pm

I know there's a boatload of fellow Hunger Games fans on this site, so I'll share something I just heard about this morning. There's apparently a Hunger Games board game out there, although from what I've read it doesn't take place in the arena at all, but rather is a sort of contest to achieve the highest rating for the Games and to build alliances. Or something. I'm not certain why one would go through the whole spiel of making a game based on the books and not go towards the combative portion since that's what the books are all about, but who knows? ;)) Just figured I'd share. :D

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby fantasia » Oct 24, 2011 8:28 am

So thanks to the Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader game on Facebook, I've been really enjoying Trivia games again. I'm not very good at them at all, but they're fun to play. So I decided to go out and buy Trival Pursuit and I wanted the plain ol' boring classic edition. However, what I actually bought was a variant called "Bet You Know It"
http://www.amazon.com/Trivial-Pursuit-B ... B0036RKKM2
It is so bizarre compared to the regular board, and it involves betting with chips by you and your opponents on whether or not you get the answers right. If you accumulate enough chips, you can buy pie pieces that you can't seem to get the answer to.
This one is fun, but I sure would have liked the classic version better. :P
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby stargazer » Oct 24, 2011 9:01 pm

Never seen that version of the game before. Sounds like an interesting variation if you're a gambler.

Speaking of Trivial Pursuit, I played the Star Wars DVD version with my brother and his 2 kids (ages 10 and almost 13) during my visit last week. The DVD clues come into play when someone's playing for a wedge. It was great fun; my nephew (who is quite a fan) won, but just barely.

We also played Monopoly. Now there's a game that has lots of different variations. We played the Star Wars version (naturally ;) ) and one called Dog-opoly. This latter one (unlike most adaptations I've played) has different cards and rules (not just different pictures or descriptions, but actually changing things like property costs and rents, and amounts due or received on the cards).

Monopoly is a game with a reputation for taking forever, but it happens that both times someone got the equivalent of the Park Place-Boardwalk monopoly early in the game (along with enough other scattered properties to hinder trades among the rest of us trying to secure our own monopolies), so the games weren't very long and went as you might expect.
stargazer

PreviousNext