This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Will Poulter's aging issue (or lack of)

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Re: Will Poulter's aging issue (or lack of)

Postby Forgotten Queen of Narnia » Mar 04, 2011 6:03 am

For most of the reasons already listed, I am neutral as to whether MN or SC comes next. But I was expecting SC because so far, they have been shooting the films in the order that the book were first released, and unless I'm mistaken, SC came out after VDT. So I thought they would continue in that direction. But I reaaly don't min if MN comes out next; just so ong as there IS a next movie.
FQoN

I am the Queen of Narnia against whom C. S. Lewis held a grudge and hence did not mention in his books.

I am in favor of a Jill/Tirian romance. After all, I know that it really did happen because I was there to see it when it did happen...
Forgotten Queen of Narnia
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Mar 26, 2011 7:13 am

I'm sort of worried. I mean, he's already taller than Skandar and he's 18. if they wait SC until after MN, then he'll be 23! :-o
yikes.
but hey, I'm not picky. and I'm not a book purist :P so whatever they do, they can do. :D
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby CharlotteRose » Mar 26, 2011 9:44 am

I agree with that Liberty Hoffman!
They can't re cast...just NO! so bring out the anti aging makeup and the funny camera angles because they have't failed yet really.
I still think that MN before SC is a bad idea, because Will Poulter will be 23 at least(!) by the time SC might get made! But I'm not picky about keepinmg details exactly (especially this time) so bring on SC ASAP!
Narnia is childhood...

Seriously, just give the kid the orange. He needs his vitamin C!
CharlotteRose
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Liberty Hoffman » May 06, 2011 2:46 pm

one thing though - Will Poulter is already looking older now. while Will Moseley looked very young and didn't 'age' very fast, Will Poulter already looks quite older and he's VERY tall. just look at the VotDT premeire pictures. there's a couple of him standing next to Will Moseley - and they are the same height.....and Will P is 18 and Will M is 24. ouch.
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby Shastafan » May 06, 2011 5:52 pm

But what about Skandar? Ok, he didn't grow up as fast as Will P., but pretty much the same thing happened to him. In LWW, he was shorter, and still had a higher pitched voice. But in PC, he had grown a lot. They still kept him, though, and it didn't seem odd that he had changed.

The same can go for Will P. Yeah, he's way taller and older looking than he used to be, but think about it, have the movie makers ever really cared about age or time much? Caspian didn't look as young as he should in PC, and yet they used him. I can see them lengthening the time between VDT and SC even longer, just as they made the time gap longer between PC and VDT. If necessary, they can get an older Jill. They could even do SC and then LB right after.

There is a lot of variables to this issue, good and bad. But the movie makers not being able to deal with Will's aging is not the biggest thing I worry about right now. For now, I still believe that there is hope for seeing Will again if they make it to SC. :)
Shastafan
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby stateofgreen » May 06, 2011 10:51 pm

Skandar though he aged as well as Will Moseley. et al had the benefit of PC and VDT having the sort of stories that didn't strictly require them to be 'younger'....it was a benefit that they were older for PC as PC showed they had all grown and matured since their first adventure in LWW. SC has the limitation (which has been discussed at repetitious length :D ;) in the ideas on making Silver Chair thread) of the book being set up a few months after VDT and having Eustace and Jill experiencing elementary school type bullying.

But I still hold out hope of seeing Will again as Eustace. I don't see Will P's age as being an issue if they can creatively work around/change the limitations of the SC time setting being a few months after VDT.

Signature by Ithilwen/Avatar by Djaq

Member of the Will Poulter is Eustace club

stateofgreen
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby CharlotteRose » May 07, 2011 1:39 am

stateofgreen wrote:the book being set up a few months after VDT and having Eustace and Jill experiencing elementary school type bullying.

Yes, however I think that intead of it being a few months it should be a few years. That way we could get round the aging problem abd it would mean that it isn't such an age and time jump to LB.
Narnia is childhood...

Seriously, just give the kid the orange. He needs his vitamin C!
CharlotteRose
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Lilygloves » Sep 09, 2011 5:37 pm

I believe Will's age was already an issue, since he needed to look younger than Edmund and Lucy in VDT. I don't think it should be too much of a problem but it is something I am worried about, especially since I am such a big fan of his. But they can easily explain the time gap between SC and LB, maybe when Eustace and Jill narrate what happened when they saw Tirian during the dinner party, how they got the rings, and the train ride. Or, more likely, they will show all this and it can be mentioned then, just as Peter said, "It's been a year. How long does he expect us to wait?" in PC. So that age difference doesn't bother me as much as the possible age difference in SC.
Lilygloves
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Weirdo » Sep 24, 2011 8:55 am

I think that Will is a little older than I had imagined first, but he made me enjoy Eustace so much in the movie, that I think I can forgive him, and now I can't imagine anyone else having the part. :D
Member of the Switchfoot Club! :D
NW siblings: wild rose, DeDe, The Jedi Clone, Melian Maia, Gathmandais, TheDwarfMan, and csjesi.
I'm a Northie! :D
Member of Loki's Army
Aegrenil, fifth Time Guardian.
Weirdo
NarniaWeb Nut

Location: Catching Sherlock Holmes with a lasso as he falls, of course!

Postby D-T » Oct 05, 2011 6:16 am

Will was a great Eustace! I hope they don't re-cast him, but, that gives
the company something to think about, if they make MN then they might not be able to keep Will as Eustace in SC and that will not be good :-s
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSS
D-T
NarniaWeb Regular

Location: My head is in the clouds, Im not really sure what the rest of me is doing...

Postby decarus » Oct 06, 2011 9:41 pm

Well i don't believe they are going to make another film, but i think at this point he is not too old for the role. His height i don't find all that important now that they made the choice. I do think that he was not the right choice because he was too old initially, but now that they have made that choice and he did a good job then i think they should stick with him.
There are no clouds in the sky. There is only the open sun and the Lord watches.
decarus
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Glumpuddle » Oct 27, 2011 7:35 am

Just re-cast him. He's too old... so if they make SC, they should cast someone else. Why don't they teach logic at these schools?
YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot
Multimedia Producer, News Poster, Social Media Manager

Postby Louloudi the Centaur » Oct 27, 2011 2:28 pm

Sorry Will Poulter, but I think you have gotten too old and tall now to play Eustace again.

Recently I was watching an interview for a new film, Wild Bill, with him in it, and his voice has gotten low, I could hardly recognize it from last December! :-o

While Ben Barnes was 25 (?) when he was cast as Caspian, that's different because he was a completely new character, and he hardly even aged between PC and VDT because he was already a young adult. Will Poulter was a new character in VDT, but he was still pretty young, and it's hard to hide a change that much when we are going to have to wait a few years to see if another film is to be made.

Well, if this does happen, I will miss Will because I thought he was an excellent actor for Narnia, but hey, there are still plenty of brilliant young actors out there that could play Eustace Clarence Scrubb. :)
Louloudi the Centaur
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Weirdo » Nov 18, 2011 8:42 am

One question I have to ask; did Lewis ever state an age in the book? It's obvious anyway that they weren't going to make Jill NINE in the Silver Chair, so why would it matter so much?
Member of the Switchfoot Club! :D
NW siblings: wild rose, DeDe, The Jedi Clone, Melian Maia, Gathmandais, TheDwarfMan, and csjesi.
I'm a Northie! :D
Member of Loki's Army
Aegrenil, fifth Time Guardian.
Weirdo
NarniaWeb Nut

Location: Catching Sherlock Holmes with a lasso as he falls, of course!

Postby D-T » Nov 23, 2011 10:21 am

Weirdo wrote:One question I have to ask; did Lewis ever state an age in the book? It's obvious anyway that they weren't going to make Jill NINE in the Silver Chair, so why would it matter so much?

Well, he calls them children, and 18 is considered an adult. THATS why it's a problem.
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSS
D-T
NarniaWeb Regular

Location: My head is in the clouds, Im not really sure what the rest of me is doing...

Postby RagingThespian » Nov 23, 2011 3:42 pm

It stinks simce Will put on the best performance in VDT, but there's no logical choice but to recast him. No one expected him to be 9, but 18 years old and 6 feet tall won't work. Escpecially since the series has been put on an indefinite hiatus, who knows when the next movie will get made (if it ever does). It could be four or five years before it comes out. He won't be able to realistically play someone still in school. The choices Eustace makes in TSC wouldn't be made by a grown adult. Once again, it stinks, but the only way it could possibly work is if they made drastic changes to his character and the story. Do we really want that to happen?

I think the age problems started back when they cast LWW. The Pevensies, while older than they were in the books, were not too old to play their respective characters. But they didn't account for the fact that it would take two to three years to make each film, while the gap inbetween stories is usually a year or less. By the time they got to VDT, they had to cast Eustace according to how old Lucy and Edmund were. Will wasn't way to old to play him then, but with the wait in between movies, he is now way too old.
RagingThespian
NarniaWeb Regular

Previous