This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Musicians' Café

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Musicians' Café

Postby Elanor » Apr 11, 2011 3:13 pm

Everyone is always shocked by my teaching myself, but frankly I think it would be easier than having lessons. It's quite easy and stress less . . but I guess it differs, depending on the person. :)
NW sisters Lyn, Lia, and Rose
RL sister Destined_to_Reign
Member of the Tenth Avenue North and Pixar Club
Dubbed The Ally Of Epic Awesomeness by Libby
Elanor
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby narnian_at_heart » Apr 11, 2011 4:16 pm

I'm trying to teach myself guitar as well.

Elanor, what do you do for teaching yourself? Do you just memorize chords? That's what I've been doing so far. I picked a song I love and I'm just trying to memorize the chords from it and practice strumming.
narnian_at_heart
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Elanor » Apr 12, 2011 8:44 am

My brother got some guitar books, and after teaching me one or two chords, and how to play on one or two strings, he left me, and I've just been going through it on my own. He wrote down the chords for some of our favorites songs, and I figured them out, and memorized them too. :)
Elanor
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby sandyentersNarnia » Apr 14, 2011 7:14 am

Elanor: At least you don't get to spend too much of money for lessons, in case you need to pay :D Cause usually, music lessons cost a lot, depending on which instrument ;)) Anyways, I think it's so cool you teaching yourself. It teaches you how to be independent, LOL.

"Two sides of the same coin"
sandyentersNarnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Elanor » Apr 14, 2011 9:02 am

Definitely another good thing, sandy - you don't have to pay! :D Yeah, it does teach you discipline and independence. I think everyone in their life should teach themselves at least one instrument. And it's so fun!
Elanor
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby De_De » Apr 14, 2011 10:48 am

I go to music school and I learn to play guitar...the most annoying thing is that I first learn to play by notes, ugh! Playing by notes on the guitar is the worst thing in the world! Chords are so much easier!
I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find piano notes for "Narnian Lullaby" for free and good quality? I can't find it anywhere :(
Founder of the Exploring Narnia Club (PM me to join)
Member of the Dragon Club
De_De
NarniaWeb Guru
The Sunny Vitamin D (BC, retired)

Location: exploring Narnia with Frodo and Lady Courage (and a bunch of great NarniaWebbers) in Obi's spaceship

Postby Elanor » Apr 14, 2011 11:50 am

haha - I understand. Frankly, I prefer playing just notes rather than chords, but it's all a matter of opinion. My brother agree's with you. :)
I'm afraid I can't help you there - we own it, because we have the piano score from LWW. I wish you luck, though! :)
Elanor
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby sandyentersNarnia » Apr 17, 2011 5:29 am

Me too Ela! I prefer notes than chords :D It's easier for me to know and memorize the piece :D

"Two sides of the same coin"
sandyentersNarnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Elanor » Apr 17, 2011 8:02 am

I actually memorize chords better, because there (obviously) aren't as many of them in a song. :P But I prefer playing notes. :)
The other day I realized how much easier it is to learn guitar because I've learned piano. :D
Elanor
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby MountainFireflower » Apr 17, 2011 1:39 pm

Elanor wrote:The other day I realized how much easier it is to learn guitar because I've learned piano. :D

That is so true! I didn't learn a lot of piano, but I did teach myself some, and teaching myself guitar has been so much easier because of that. I'm so proud of you for teaching yourself! ;) I did, and although it's hard sometimes, it's definitely worth it in the end. Let me know if you have any questions or just want to talk guitar. :D I don't pretend to know everything, but I love exchanging tips with other guitar players.

I know I posted in this thread before, but that was a while back. Here is an updated list of the guitar chords I know:
A, Am, Asus, B, Bm, C, Csus, D, Dm, Dsus, E, Em, F, G

F was probably the hardest chord to learn (even though I'm using a cheater version :p), followed by B & Bm. I had trouble with C at first but now it's easy. I just have to practice, practice, practice! ;))
av by dot
MountainFireflower
Moderator Emeritus

Postby narnian_at_heart » Apr 17, 2011 1:40 pm

Elanor wrote:The other day I realized how much easier it is to learn guitar because I've learned piano. :D

Good to know! I've learned piano so hopefully it'll be easier for me too. I haven't practiced much lately. I really need to start making myself practice at least for a few minutes every day.
narnian_at_heart
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby pickle » Apr 17, 2011 1:46 pm

WEEE feel like posting something!! :D:D:D

Before everything else, CELLOS FOR THE WIN!!! :D:D

How long have you been playing? hmmm...I think....5 years...ish?
Have you performed in public? YES :D:D:D right here! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atOXKqeGRUE
Are there instruments you don't play that you would like to learn? Dunno... maybe guitar or violin or harp or oboe or flute or bass or clarinet or french horn or english horn or tuba or trombone (basically anything :P)
What type of music do you prefer to play? classical stuff, not super modern
Do you write music or lyrics of your own? no.

:D:D:D
Proud supporter of Blarghefur!
thanks for the avy and sig, Eustace+Jill!
pickle
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Elanor » Apr 17, 2011 2:22 pm

MountainFireflower wrote:That is so true! I didn't learn a lot of piano, but I did teach myself some, and teaching myself guitar has been so much easier because of that. I'm so proud of you for teaching yourself! ;) I did, and although it's hard sometimes, it's definitely worth it in the end. Let me know if you have any questions or just want to talk guitar. :D I don't pretend to know everything, but I love exchanging tips with other guitar players.

I really couldn't manage to play notes or anything if I hadn't learned piano first - and I doubt I could have taught myself. lol, thanks! :ymhug: I'd love to talk with you sometime about it!
Um wait - I don't have much to say. :P :P :P lol!!!
I don't know to many chords, at least by name, but I know G, EM, C, G7, and D7. I think. :P And some others.
narnian_at_heart wrote:Good to know! I've learned piano so hopefully it'll be easier for me too. I haven't practiced much lately. I really need to start making myself practice at least for a few minutes every day.

I'm sure it will be! Good luck! :)
Elanor
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby MinotaurforAslan » Jun 16, 2011 12:48 pm

Fantastic playing, pickle! I'm very impressed! :ymapplause:

Good luck with your guitar ventures, narnian_at_heart. :)

Here is a piano cover I've been working on of the Star Wars Main Theme.

And here is a song I made with books.

MinotaurforAslan
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Jacqi » Jun 17, 2011 3:35 pm

Hi, everyone,

I just joined NWeb and I've been taking a look around. Glad to find this thread! Gonna jump right in...

How long have you been playing? Since I was five. Um...with the accordion :ymblushing: *quickly* followed by the piano, flute, recorder, and much later by the guitar. In college, had to do the obligatory mus ed stuff, and learned oboe, violin, trombone, even baritone ymwhisle
Have you performed in public? Yes
Are there instruments you don't play that you would like to learn? I bought a mandolin and wanted to learn, but the front woodwork keeps caving in, even after some serious repairs. Maybe someday...
What type of music do you prefer to play? depending on the instrument, classical, folk, and sometimes even jazz.
Do you write music or lyrics of your own? I have in the past...haven't done much in a long time...
Jacqi
NarniaWeb Regular

Location: North America, the Earth, the Solar System, the Universe, the Mind of God

Postby Miss Rosario » Jun 17, 2011 4:51 pm

Wow, MfA, that's rather impressive. I've never seen books put to that use before. ;))

*loves the Star Wars theme*

Glad to have you around the forums, Jacqi! It sounds like you're very talented. Neat! I took violin lessons for eight years, and piano for five. Those are the only instruments I know though. How do you like the accordion? Is it easy to play? And which is your favorite instrument?
Icon by fireworks123
NW little sister to Windsong
NW twin to Rosie

"I don't run away from a challenge because I am afraid. Instead, I run toward it because the only way to escape fear is to trample it beneath your feet." -Nadia Comaneci
Miss Rosario
NarniaWeb Fanatic
Wandering Welcomer

PreviousNext