This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Jill Pole

Dressing up Narnia-style!

Moderator: Meltintalle

Re: Jill Pole

Postby Jill_Pole » Feb 10, 2011 2:35 am

Ok, review of your quite amazing drawings.....
first link...
Left: I don't like the shorts, or the tie, I still think that Jill should wear shorts, and I like how in the BBC series the uniform was all grey.
I think she should have a rounded collar, and a button up grey cardigan and a grey woolen skirt...
Middle: I LOVE THIS, i think harfang!
Right: More a boy's jacket, I think eustace should wear that at Harfang

second link...
Left: Nice colour, not keen on design, sorry
Middle: Maybe a coronation dress? or a travel dress? for a travel dress i would make the cape longer and hooded
Right: I LOVE THE DESIGN, just i dont know where it should go? love it tho

third link...
I like the wool cape idea, for the travelling....
I think the school should be simple when she first is there, and when she returns all narnian...
I love the ringlets for harfang, perfect!
THEY ALL LOOK FABBITY FAB THO..... (sorry if i in anyway offended you, gave an honest opinion....)
Jill_Pole
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Anfinwen » Feb 10, 2011 11:03 am

Thank you very much for your comments Jill_Pole. I'm not in any way offended. It's actually quite nice to get some criticism. I agree about the hair. Though, I think it comes mostly of being so short. This is one of the reasons I have never cut my own hair. You can do so many more elegant and unique hairdos with long hair. It would really be nice if some way some how Jill had longer hair. Also I kinda of kept the hair simple because Jill is probably doing her own hair most of the time, and I didn't think she would be exactly talented at combing her hair. That might even be the reason she cut her hair.
Formerly The Lady Arwen Undómiel
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Jill » Feb 12, 2011 1:06 am

She had comb in her pocket (I'm sure it's not very likely that would happen with any body I know but any way....) but her hair is only chin length in the drawings any way, I would rather she had long hair really. Long hair seems to me to sometimes be a mood indicator, the way you put it up; quickly, neatly, don't even bother where as short hair doesn't even go up so it's either neat or not. I'm sorry this comment seems to be rather incompressible, I hope it makes some sense.
Comfort child we are between the paws of the true Aslan.- King Tirian

If this is the real world the the play world a great deal better- Puddleglum
Jill
NarniaWeb Nut

Location: Standing at the door to Aslans country from Experiment House

Postby Jill_Pole » Feb 12, 2011 10:22 pm

It makes no sense at all, leaving the interpretation to the reader, so therefore perfectly executed!
I personally think that her hair should, at the school be contained and tamed to be just below shoulder length.
In Narnia it is left of its own accord and allowed to curl naturally.
She had a comb, but no mirror to style it in Narnia....
Jill_Pole
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Jill » Feb 13, 2011 11:02 am

Yes I agree with you, I hope that at least makes sense!
Comfort child we are between the paws of the true Aslan.- King Tirian

If this is the real world the the play world a great deal better- Puddleglum
Jill
NarniaWeb Nut

Location: Standing at the door to Aslans country from Experiment House

Postby Jill_Pole » Feb 18, 2011 3:45 am

sorry, I think I really did offend you
I am extremely sorry!
How would you define long hair:
Georgie H long
or Camilla Power in the original BBC long?
Jill_Pole
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby DamselJillPole » Feb 18, 2011 9:39 am

I imagine Jill's hair about four more inches longer than Camilla Powers. :)
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Anfinwen » Feb 18, 2011 10:49 am

Jill_Pole wrote:sorry, I think I really did offend you
I am extremely sorry!
How would you define long hair:
Georgie H long
or Camilla Power in the original BBC long?

Please believe me, I'm not offended at all. I am so sorry if I gave you that impression.

I consider long hair to be to the waist or longer, but maybe that's just because most of the girls I know have hair that long. Hair like that would probably be historically inaccurate for Jill, though.
Formerly The Lady Arwen Undómiel
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Jill_Pole » Feb 18, 2011 1:12 pm

It would be awesome if she could have hair that long, but as you say probably historically inaccurate... :(
I'm thinking longest Susan in LWW....
If you look styles on Google, most styles are plaits:
I'll link some:
http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl= ... 80&bih=737

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl= ... 29,r:7,s:0
Jill_Pole
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Lucy of Narnia » Mar 10, 2011 1:49 pm

As a new idea, what if Jill sort of had a merging/changing costume (like in PC how the kids lose parts of their school uniform, and then like in VDT when Lu has that Dawn Treader Outfit)? Like maybe she starts in her school outfit and when she gets in Narnia she starts changing. For example:

School Outfit (1): shorts/skirt, shirt, vest, sweater, socks, shoes, hat, hair ribbons (maybe her hair can be like Lu's in PC?)

Then she starts to change...

School Outfit (2): shorts/skirt, shirt, vest, socks, shoes, hair ribbons (basically, she ditches the sweater and hat because Narnia is so much warmer than England, which was having a 'muggy day')

School Outfit (3): Somewhere along the way she ditches all but the bare necessities (possibly while talking with Aslan?) and is wearing only her shorts/skirt, shirt, socks and shoes (with hair down).

Then she gets a Narnia outfit from Cair Paravel. Realistically, something should fit her, as Will P. is 18 now and Jill will probably be about the same age, and thus fit adult clothing (unless they change who plays Eustace; then we'll have a bigger problem then costuming, though!).

Cair Paravel Outfit (1): She starts with a silky skirt and shirt-vest (sort of like in Civil War times where, together, it looks like a dress but is really too parts- and I don't mean Civil War style, just the 'looking like a dress' part). Under this we see the sleeves of a white shirt (so it's really a three-piece 'dress'). She has her hair up and curled and maybe wears a head covering of some sort (hat, veil, etc.). She wears nice slippers. This is how Eustace finds her after the willow lady 'gussies her all up'.

Cair Paravel Outfit (2): Sometimes after dinner she takes off the silky shirt-vest to reveal the shirt underneath which has slightly puffy, long sleeves. Her hair is down though still slightly curled as though some of the curl has fallen out (oh, only too familiar! :p ). She has the slippers off and is barefooted, as she is reclining before bed.

This is where Glimfeather finds here and, as she is going on a journey, she changes a bit:

Cair Paravel/School Outfit: She puts her school clothes back on (which would be her shorts/skirt, shirt, socks and shoes), and of course she has the knife on her belt. Her hair (if long enough) she plaits. Over this clothing, she pulls a cloak which the willow lady has given her.

When she gets to Puddlglum, he perhaps gives her a warmer cloak, but has not much else in the way of clothing to offer humans. Jill travels this way for the duration of the journey (until she meets the Gentle Giants, of which costume has already been discussed).

When she is rescued she is perhaps supplied with another, clean cloak, but dwarves and tree-people can't give girls clothing, either.

Then she rides to the coronation of Prince Rillian, where she either changes into another Cair Paravel dress (if the story is altered a bit) or she is still wearing her school clothing and a cape. Then she goes back to school, wearing the entire school outfit that she wore at the beginning of the movie.

Hairstyles might change on the journey to reflect mood as some people have suggested. :)

Lu
Avy by me, siggy by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
You suck a lollipop, and you sing a song. Get it right, Jo!
Lucy of Narnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Jill_Pole » Mar 18, 2011 2:10 am

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew
long read
i think that The Lady Arwen Undómiel's costume (the gold and silver fur one) would be good at "The Gentle Giants"
Ohh Idea
At Harfang: When she arrives she gets one dress, then a nightgown and the next day another dress?

So, in summary, perhaps slightly changed, of what you have said:
School: Skirt, Rounded collar shirt, Vest and Cardigan, white socks and shoes, hat and bag.
Aslan's country/ cliff: looses hat in the run to the door, looses vest, remaining all other clothes
Castle (must point out it ISN'T cair paravel seeing as that was ruins in PC!!!): Clothes, and nightgown, then either travel dress or school clothes and cape
Travelling: school or travel clothes, cape and wool cap
Harfang: dress, then a nightgown and the next day another dress (may when leaving change back to travelling dress)
Coronation: new dress which she takes home and keeps

Is this correct?
Jill_Pole
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby CharlotteRose » Mar 21, 2011 10:16 am

Sorry to but in on the convo, just go round me :)
Really cool ideas guys, nice descriptions and pictures!
I had a dream about Jills clothes (I don't know why- a bit random but still) and I thought that her uniform would be like lucys in PC (I especialy like the hat), but it would be mostly grey with a bit of Navy (Perhaps as an edge to sleves/ collars on her blazer. But at Cair Paravel she changes into some narnian clothes that are quite nice, and she has a cape when she leaves at night. When they set off with Puddle glum she'll probably have some improvised clothes made from Marshwiggle clothes.
At Harfang she wears a Navy dress that is almost floor length (so she might trip when running and add tention to a chase scene as films always do.) and a long bright red cape. I like these colour because they are vivid but in the dark they will look more mysterious.
What do you think?
Narnia is childhood...

Seriously, just give the kid the orange. He needs his vitamin C!
CharlotteRose
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Lucy of Narnia » Mar 21, 2011 12:25 pm

Oooh, the navy blue w/ red cape sounds like Arwen's blood-red almost- very pretty!! :)
Lucy of Narnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Jill_Pole » Mar 28, 2011 3:31 am

Sorry but maybe a little change, at Harfang they are supposed to wear extravagant and bright costumes, and the book says green.
The only colours that haven't been used are Red, Yellow, Light green... some others...
suggestions?
Jill_Pole
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Lucy of Narnia » Mar 28, 2011 2:49 pm

Maybe not green cause of LotGK (Lady of the Green Kirtle) but then again maybe that was supposed to be one of her dresses?

Yellow sounds good. :)

The book said green and red (cape?) I think, maybe it could be that?
Lucy of Narnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Jill_Pole » Mar 28, 2011 7:00 pm

I forgot about the LotGK!!! How did that happen???
I was thinking, as in the First move Susan wore a Dark Green, and the LotGK would wear a "venomous" green, maybe a lighter one?? Or even switch around to be a Green cape and a Red dress, although I do prefer the other way round.
Jill_Pole
NarniaWeb Nut

PreviousNext