This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Puddleglum's argument

C. S. Lewis, his worlds, and his faith.

Moderators: coracle, Lady Arwen

Re: Puddleglum's argument

Postby sweeetlilgurlie » Mar 07, 2011 6:30 pm

Ithilwen wrote:
Tesseract wrote:
Christianity and some other religions both promote the idea that life on earth is meaningful for what you will get in the next world.
I find that many Christians view the idea that good works will get you to heaven as offensive and incorrect.

Yes, you're right, Tesseract. The idea that good works get you to Heaven is incorrect -- the Bible even says so. It says that we are saved by Grace through Faith, and not by Works. The works are our way of serving God because we want to serve Him, and a way of helping others. But they are not what gets us to Heaven.

Though, Riella, you must keep in mind that the Bible also states very clearly that Faith without works is dead (See James in the bible), thoroughly negating the argument that faith is all we need to get to Heaven. The two go hand in hand.

As for Puddleglum's argument, I like it. I agree with it. I think that a bit that many writers of this thread don't seem to have addressed is that Puddleglum did not only say that he would blindly believe in Narnia even if it didn't exist. I think that would not be a good idea. He said that he would go searching for it, to chase after it. He was meaning to go find the goodness, because he had hope that it existed, and the life of there, right then, was pretty pathetic compared to what he dreamed (and at this point he supposed that he dreamed) could exist.
"Let the music cast its spell,
give the atmosphere a chance.
Simply follow where I lead;
let me teach you how to dance."
sweeetlilgurlie
Moderator Emeritus
The Sparkle Princess

Re: Puddleglum's argument

Postby Ithilwen » Mar 08, 2011 4:23 pm

sweeetlilgurlie wrote:Though, Riella, you must keep in mind that the Bible also states very clearly that Faith without works is dead (See James in the bible), thoroughly negating the argument that faith is all we need to get to Heaven. The two go hand in hand.

I'm quite aware of the scripture in James that says Faith without Works is dead. However, I don't believe that scripture is referring to salvation, but to something else. I will explain my view on that fully when I post in the Christianity, Religion, and Philosophy thread, because to explain it here would probably be off topic. I'll add it to the post I am making in response to Tesseract.

Tesseract, I will begin working on that post today. :) As it will be rather long, I will type it up in a Word Document first, and then post it on the thread once it's finished. I'm sorry for the delay. :ymblushing: I had a few real life projects I had to finish first before I could properly devote my time to this.

~Riella =:)
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Previous