This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Acting and Live Theatre.

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Acting and Live Theatre.

Postby FoodForThought » Jan 27, 2011 10:00 pm

I just saw the Lion King at the theater tonight! It was the most amazing play I have seen in my life! ;;) I know I'm a little late to the show, but, I just can't believe how much I missed! If anyone is considering going, don't hesitate to go!
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

- The Doctor.
FoodForThought
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby DamselJillPole » Jan 28, 2011 8:30 am

Lucy of Narnia wrote:^ Thanks all!

*sigh* Is there any other way to get the college, like online college? I can't go away or anything like that...

Lu

I hope you don't mind me asking this but, are you comfortable about leaving your home? I mean sure there are online classes to take and everything but they are mostly hard. I tried taking a math course online before and it was really hard because everytime I would have an exam or test the online class would only give me like 30-45 seconds to reply with an answer. It was horrible and i dropped it.

With acting, it's very physical and you must be in the class, same with liberal arts, it's a group thing or else you won't learn it fast enough or get credit.

One thing I will say and I hope it doesn't offend you but this is 100% true, to be an actor/ actress you are going to have to break out of your shell and go to these places and away for a while if you have to. It's a part of acting. :) ;)
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Lucy of Narnia » Jan 28, 2011 12:06 pm

^Yeah, I just hope my Mum will let me! I would be glad to take classes! The only thing I personally am against is going to a college where you have to sleep and board there and come home only for Christmas. :-s I would perhaps consider one if I could come home int he evenings (like normal school). *sighs* I really really hope my Mum will let me get more involved in acting outside of the home! Time will tell.. :)

Lu

P.S. A few questions...

1. Will I be able to get an agent w/ out braces (but needing them)?
2. Will I be able to have a professional photographer that we know take my pictures, or do they have to be done in a studio?
3. If an agent works in New York NY, will they possibly be able to land me international auditions with people coming to the US to find Americans?
:)
Avy by me, siggy by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
You suck a lollipop, and you sing a song. Get it right, Jo!
Lucy of Narnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby DamselJillPole » Jan 28, 2011 2:28 pm

Yeah there are community colleges. I go to one and i still live at home with my mommy and doggy :D so that part i understand perfectly. Just make sure whatever college or uni you go to make sure you're close to home like 1- about 55 miles. Even if you have to go into a dormintory or reserved apartment/flat you'll still be close to home and can go during your breaks and weekends. It's not as bad as it sounds.

With my first agency I had braces so yes ;) I had to get them removed for a while to do something though and then get them back in. But that was once.

As far as headshots you can do your own but I would suggest going to a photographer mainly because it looks more proffesional and they offer photo sessions.

Some agencies are connected, like say you live in Florida and your agency is in Florida your agency can be connected to other agencies across the USA with the same name and home office, so yes this can happen, you just need to inform your agent. Though understand this your agency can not pay your way if an audition is being held more than 300 miles away from you, neither will the casting directors. That's why it's always best to start off small and wait to see what comes near you. Get your experience then move somewhere like New York, California, Louisiana, etc where most of it happens, that way you're there and there's no going back and forth all the time wth money issues. ;)
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby georgiefan1 » Jan 28, 2011 4:10 pm

FoodForThought wrote:I just saw the Lion King at the theater tonight! It was the most amazing play I have seen in my life! ;;) I know I'm a little late to the show, but, I just can't believe how much I missed! If anyone is considering going, don't hesitate to go!

I saw this when I was younger and thought it was absolutely incredible!! I'm glad you liked it :D
NW twin to Georgiefan! NW sib to 22!
avvie by AslansChild thank you!!!
georgiefan1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby coracle » Jan 28, 2011 4:22 pm

I saw Lion King very late too - lived in London 2001 and 2002 and never got to it while waiting for someone else to come with me! Finally saw it in 2009 when I visited London for a week. Really loved it!
Beautifully done, especially the first half. There were comedy parts in the second half more appealing to children. The most moving part was the big assembly of the animals near the start - deep rich part singing, and gorgeous animal mask/puppet costumes. And when the elephants came on, the audience gasped, and I found I had tears in my eyes!
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby ktherebelious » Jan 29, 2011 4:15 pm

FoodForThought wrote:I just saw the Lion King at the theater tonight! It was the most amazing play I have seen in my life! ;;) I know I'm a little late to the show, but, I just can't believe how much I missed! If anyone is considering going, don't hesitate to go!

I'd love to see The Lion King live in London's West End, I've heard it's brilliant!!! I've seen the films and love the music, Elton John's amazing at writing it :D ooh I hope I'll be able to see it soon :-s
ktherebelious
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby georgiefan1 » Feb 05, 2011 7:07 pm

I'm seeing Chorus Line tomorrow! I'm soooo excited!! :D :D
georgiefan1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby CharlotteRose » Feb 09, 2011 1:44 pm

I do acting lessons at Playbox Theater and singing at Secret Garden Musical Theater School. I have an agent and I really want to be involved in the arts when i'm older! Its great to see so many people with such similar interests coming together through Narnia! I hope to take a BA degree at Birningham school of acting or RADA!
Narnia is childhood...

Seriously, just give the kid the orange. He needs his vitamin C!
CharlotteRose
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby georgiefan1 » Feb 09, 2011 6:56 pm

that sounds like so much fun CharlotteRose!!! its so cool you have an agent! You do have great plans for yourself! I hope you achieve them! :D
georgiefan1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Princess Anna » Jun 16, 2011 5:38 pm

Oh, gracious!

I'm sorry I never told you about the second weekend of "Oliver!", and that I didn't say ANYTHING about the annual production of "A Christmas Carol"! I feel really bad! :( :ymblushing:

And how did we let this get way back around page 4 or 5?! Isn't anyone acting in, or watching shows these days?!

Anyhow, I've been back at the playhouse for awhile now. (A couple times last month, and most of this month) This time I'm helping out with the summer kid's show... School House Rock Live Jr! :D

At first I was just helping the littlest ones (who we seem to have a LOT of this time) learn the songs. Because they can't read, let alone read music! I had to sit next to them, music in my lap and sing WITH THEM. (and of course, I learned it too, as I didn't want to teach them wrong! ;)) )

Now, I've moved to working backstage (seeing as they know the songs now). Mainly helping with making sure they have the props when they need them, and put them away when they're done with them. And I'll probably do whatever else that the director tells me to do. ;)

This show is unique, in that the kids are onstage the entire time, and there is very little dialogue. Anyway, it's been a ton of fun. And I can't believe that tech week starts on sunday! :-o

I'm really bummed, cause I have to miss the 3rd and 4th (aka the last two) performances because I'll be leaving for camp the morning of the third one. Oh, well... I love camp, so it's not all bad! I just wish I didn't have to miss anything (not to mention the cast party. those are always funny when it's for the kids show). But at least I can be there for the first two performances!

Hmm... what else? I remember one funny instance (and I can tell more another time). I think it happened a day or two ago? Anyway, for the song "Unpack your Adjectives" they have this suitcase that has a couple signs in it. Well, they have to go in a certain order... and are usually mixed up by the time the song is done.

Well, I had already put them in order, set them in the suitcase again, and set it on the prop table when Lizze (another backstage person) came up to me... "Andrea, can you put the signs back in the suitcase?" "It's already done" "Really? OH THANK YOU!" "No problem"

You should have seen the look on her face! It felt so good to know I was a big help. I mean, I'd missed all of last week because of VBS, and had missed here and there before that cause of being sick or busy. So I was worried they wouldn't even need me. But apparently they do! =))

OH!! I know something else! There aren't that many of us back there, a parent or two, Lizze, Kyle (who's around 13-15?), and me. And Kyle will be going up to the light/sound booth starting on sunday to help up there. So there are probably only three or four of us back there. Anyway, Kyle's been running around with this panicked look on his face a couple times. So, one of the times about two days ago, I stopped him:

"Hey, hold it a minute, buddy."
"What?"
"You're doing a great job, but just out of curiousity... how many shows have you done?"
He makes the shape of a zero with his hand, while mouthing it.
me, to the one mom, as he runs off: "That's why" =))

So yesterday, I pulled him aside again.
"I just wanted to tell you that you're doing a really great job. I don't know why you're so worried."
"I only get worried when it's messing up"
"Well, that isn't your problem... it's their job. Worry about if you're doing your job right. And you are! You'll learn with time... it takes awhile to get used to theatre." (or something like that)

I'm actually pretty impressed with him. He's very detail oriented, and calm (for the most part), and on top of things. I wish I had done that well the first show I was involved in! AND during the first time I worked backstage! I mean, I've been backstage for several now, and still feel like I don't always know what I'm doing. He seems like a pro the very first time! I'm jealous. :p

Ok, I should run along now... but I'll try and keep you up-to-date on what happens!
Princess Anna
Moderator Emeritus
the Resident Troublemaker

Postby Elanor » Jun 16, 2011 6:09 pm

I loved reading your post, Anna. :D I have been doing some acting, so I guess I should have been posting here. :ymblushing:
I got in the play Annie (as some of you might know, from Town Square), and I'm the orphan Duffie. I actually got close to being Annie, so this is a wonderful experience so far. It's so exciting, talking to different people every night, making more friends. :)
NW sisters Lyn, Lia, and Rose
RL sister Destined_to_Reign
Member of the Tenth Avenue North and Pixar Club
Dubbed The Ally Of Epic Awesomeness by Libby
Elanor
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby DamselJillPole » Jun 17, 2011 7:42 pm

^ Wow congrats on your role Elanor! :ymapplause: Annie is a wonderful play. I got to see it when I was little and I love the films too.
Anna I love your avatar and signature. I was in the production of School House Rock a few years ago. It was so much fun! :)
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Silver the Wanderer » Jun 17, 2011 8:47 pm

Ooh goodness. I really need to visit this thread more often - I have soooo much to talk about, involving theater. :D

So I'm not sure if I mentioned this or not, but this spring our school did a musical adaptation of Charles Dickens' The Mystery of Edwin Drood, where the audience got to vote on different endings (since Dickens died before writing the end to the mystery). I got to play a character named Bazzard (traditionally a man's part but easily adapted for a female), who basically always wants to be "center stage" but just never gets a chance in the limelight. It was really my first principal role (despite it being my 11th show), and I had a whole song to myself! :D

Also, all the suspects had to learn songs to sing if the audience chooses them to be the a) mysterious undercover detective, b) murderer, or c) lover. In the end, my character earned a lot of sympathy from the audience, and over the course of our six shows, I ended up being the mysterious detective three times, the murderer once, and a lover twice. Pretty good deal! :D This definitely was my favorite show thusfar.

We'll be doing a stage adaptation of Alice in Wonderland in the fall - then the musical Pippin in the spring. Which will be my last show at my school before I graduate. :( Noooo! :((

Anna, that sounds like such fun, helping out the little kids! I've helped out with two little-kid shows, the most recent one being A Twist of the Tongue this past winter. Little kids and tongue twisters? The cutest thing ever. :ymblushing:

And Ela, I believe I've said it already but I'll say it again: congrats on your role! :D Our local playhouse is actually right in the middle of doing Annie - I saw it last weekend. My choir director is Miss Hannigan, so it was really funny watching her stagger around stage, acting mean and drunk. ;))
Av and Sig by Aravis Autarkeia

Silver the Wanderer
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby coracle » Jun 17, 2011 10:19 pm

I'm rehearsing in a show called ARPOV - it's short for the full title which is an old-time music hall style show with lots of songs and some humour.

We have about 50-60 songs, most of which we now know the tunes for but still have words to get into our heads. Some of the cast are younger, but a lot of us are in the over-40 bracket, making learning slower - but on the other hand, plenty of the songs are oldies, and some of already know quite a few of them.

We open on 30th June, have 8pm shows Thursday to Saturday + a Saturday matinee, for two weeks. Finish on 9th July.

The theatrical group has lost its theatre in the earthquake, so we are borrowing a small school hall, which will seat about a hundred audience max. We have to bring our own costumes (four changes each), and do our makeup at home.
This has been a nice distraction from earthquake related things - including a second covering of wet grey silt on my garden and mud everywhere this week!
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Elanor » Jun 18, 2011 5:06 am

DamselJillPole wrote:^ Wow congrats on your role Elanor! :ymapplause: Annie is a wonderful play. I got to see it when I was little and I love the films too.

Thank you; I'm surprised with what a sweet play it is! And I love all the music. :)
Silver the Wanderer wrote:And Ela, I believe I've said it already but I'll say it again: congrats on your role! :D Our local playhouse is actually right in the middle of doing Annie - I saw it last weekend. My choir director is Miss Hannigan, so it was really funny watching her stagger around stage, acting mean and drunk. ;))

Thanks, Silver! :) It is really funny to be in plays with people who play the mean characters; and are so so sweet and nice in real life! I had to do that in Little Women; the lady who played Aunt March was SO sweet, and I had to be scared of her! :P
Edwin Drood sounds like so so much fun, Silver; I want your character! :P
NW sisters Lyn, Lia, and Rose
RL sister Destined_to_Reign
Member of the Tenth Avenue North and Pixar Club
Dubbed The Ally Of Epic Awesomeness by Libby
Elanor
NarniaWeb Fanatic

PreviousNext