This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The thread for people who have Green Thumbs (Gardening)

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: The thread for people who have Green Thumbs (Gardening)

Postby fantasia » Jan 24, 2011 9:22 am

Early last week I started my cauliflower, broccoli, celery, and peppers. Over the weekend my cauliflower started to come up. Yay!

My husband and I finally completed the base of our greenhouse (boy that took forever) and we've moved it to the backyard. Provided the weather cooperates this week, we hope to get it put up, or at the very least get a good amount of progress in on it. :)

ETA: I just checked and my broccoli is coming up as well. Yay! :D
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Jan 24, 2011 9:29 am

FK, I demand more facebook pictures as soon as they're available ;)) (politely demand of course :P )

As for our own garden, I'll probably get things straightened out over Spring Break (the week after St. Patrick's Day). So far, my plan is to plant:

Green Onions
Eggplant
Broccoli
Spinach
Cabbage (Probably Dutch Flat)
Roma Tomatoes
Brandywine Tomatoes
Green Pepper (California Wonder)
Cayenne Pepper
Jalopeno Pepper
Banana Pepper (or Hungarian Wax peppers, I haven't decided which)
Bush beans (I think they're great northern, but I'm not sure)
Half-Runner Beans (October Beans)
Cucumbers (Burpless is most likely)
Peas (not sure which variety)

All of this is assuming that I get some help from family :P
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby fantasia » Jan 30, 2011 8:13 am

My husband and I finished our greenhouse yesterday. Here I am putting the finishing touches on it. :D

After two glorious days of record highs in the 70Fs, a cold front came through last night and the temperature plummeted from 70F to 45F in about an hour. And then below freezing a few hours after that. (Gotta love the weather here :)) ) We went to Lowes and bought a wireless thermometer to measure the indoor greenhouse temperature to see if we can keep plants in overnight safely. The short answer is no, we can't. ;)) Without the sun, the indoor temp is the same as the outdoor temp. Now that it's daytime though, it's a little warmer in there than outside, but still below freezing. So the next step it to figure out a heating system of some kind before we can move plants out there.

Speaking of plants, my broccoli and cauliflower sprouts are doing great. They've just about hit the top of the planter so I'm gonna have to take the lid off soon. The peppers and celery started coming up yesterday. Woohoo! Out of the peppers, the jalapenos are winning, with the green chiles close behind. ;)) Oh, and one Cayenne is coming up as well.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Valiant_Lucy » Jan 30, 2011 10:42 am

Digs wrote:I'll probably get things straightened out over Spring Break (the week after St. Patrick's Day). So far, my plan is to plant:

First off, I basically HATE everything to do with gardening (dirt, bugs, planting, weeding, cleaning up, picking, etcetc), and I really don't know much about it but I'm curious--do you mean you are going to plant your stuff right after March 17?? Isn't that kinda cold?? :P
"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." Marilyn Monroe
Valiant_Lucy
Moderator Emeritus
The IMAR&NB mod

Postby ceppault » Jan 30, 2011 11:38 am

That is an awesome greenhouse! :D I could start my pumpkins in something like that. Heating? How about decomposing manure? I do recall the steaming coming out of that stuff at the bottom of the ol goat shed ... glorious smell.
“Safe?” said Mr. Beaver; “don’t you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? ‘Course he isn’t safe. But he’s good. He’s the King, I tell you.”
ceppault
Moderator Emeritus

Postby fantasia » Jan 30, 2011 3:30 pm

ceppault wrote:Heating?
So this is really cool... or... warm rather. ;)) As I said in my previous post, overnight, the inside temp was the same as the outside temp. But as soon as the sun hit it later this morning, the inside temp soared. I think the biggest difference I saw was outside it was 37F and inside it was 79F. So I can definitely put my plants out there during the day as long as there's sun. We're working on a scheme to heat it overnight too so I can have them out there all the time. :D

ceppault wrote:How about decomposing manure?
How's your eyesight? ;)) Well our compost pile (no manure :P ) is right on the other side of the greenhouse in that picture, but there's no way you can make it out through the plastic walls, and even if you could, all you'd see were the boarded walls. But it's there! :D
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Feb 02, 2011 7:06 am

Valiant_Lucy wrote:I'm curious--do you mean you are going to plant your stuff right after March 17?? Isn't that kinda cold??

Not all of that stuff is getting planted over spring break ;)), but I want to get the ground tilled up, so that the snow and rain from the last part of winter and first part of spring, can get down into the ground. I also want to plant my potatoes, as they need to be planted very early. You could also get by (perhaps) with planting cold-weather things such as onions, broccoli, cabbage, and lettuce.
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby fantasia » Feb 04, 2011 8:35 am

Indeed Val, St. Patty's Day = Plant your Potatoes! ;)) At least, that's what I've always heard. Of course, actually getting outside to the garden... I'm very pokey. ;)) (Too cold!!!) So my potatoes always go in about a month or so late and I don't usually have any problems. :)

So my celery has finally come up! Yay! When they get a little bigger I'm going to thin them out. I hate doing that, I feel like I'm killing of perfectly good plants, but the seeds were so tiny I couldn't plant them separately.

The broccoli and cauliflower are still doing good. They've hit the top of my planter so I'm gonna either have to re-pot those or take the lid off soon. *makes a note for next year to plant broccoli and cauliflower separately*

And my peppers are also doing well. They have almost all come up now, but I haven't had a single Poblano come up yet and I planted three of them. ARGGGG!!! That pepper hates me. Three years now and I haven't had a successful Poblano plant yet. :P

It's February, once I survive my busy weekend, I'm gonna be starting my tomatoes soon. :D
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby fantasia » Feb 08, 2011 8:10 am

I just had to post a complaint and then one of my Poblano peppers popped up the next day. ;)) So I'm waiting on a Sweet Banana Pepper, my Habanero Pepper, a California Wonder, and the other two Poblanos. If they don't come up soon, I'll replant.

I went through and thinned out my Celery plantlings last night so they can grow big and strong without competing with each other. :P

Aravanna informed me that she would like to help me plant stuff as she's also suffering from the lack of green and growing things, so I think she's gonna come over some time this week to help me with my tomatoes. I also need to get my watermelons and I think also my eggplants started soon.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby De_De » Feb 08, 2011 8:42 am

Hey all you green-thumbed people! I need a bit of help. I have this idea to grow peas this year. Did anyone here ever grow peas? If there are such people here, I have two questions:
1. Are they hard to grow?
2. Can I grow them inside?
Any and all information is appreciated. Thanks :)
Founder of the Exploring Narnia Club (PM me to join)
Member of the Dragon Club
De_De
NarniaWeb Guru
The Sunny Vitamin D (BC, retired)

Location: exploring Narnia with Frodo and Lady Courage (and a bunch of great NarniaWebbers) in Obi's spaceship

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Feb 08, 2011 8:57 am

I have grown peas, De_De, as has FK. Here are my answers:

1. Absolutely not! Peas grow like weeds, once they get going, it's hard to kill them off. However, you have to be careful when you're picking them, as the stalks are quite tender, and can easily be broken

2. I wouldn't think that you'd be able to grow peas inside. Peas don't grow on a bush (at least, none of the peas that I've grown ever have). Peas grow on climbing vines. I usually plant them at the very end of the garden so that they can climb up the wire fencing that is around the periphery. They usually climb to about 5 feet in height, but can grow to a smaller height if they are a different variety.

Hope that helps!
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby fantasia » Feb 08, 2011 9:18 am

To follow up on what DiGs said, I haven't heard of any peas that don't vine. You'll need something for them to climb if you grow them inside. I don't know how tall DiGs's peas have gotten, but mine get up to four feet tall or so and I'm in a pretty hot dry area.

ETA: I did some research, bush peas do exist! I have no idea if you can get ahold of bush peas De_De, but you're going to plant them inside, that's what I'd go for!
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby fantasia » Feb 15, 2011 1:20 pm

Today my sister Aravanna came over and we finished planting my peppers and tomatoes, as well as the eggplant. I hope to get my watermelon started today as well. :D

And I will be done planting seeds until it gets warm enough outside to plant in the ground. :)

Hey DiGs (or anybody else this may apply to), have you ever grown Brussel Spouts before? This is my first year doing them, but the packaging is a bit confusing on when to start them. It looks like.... maybe around the same time as potatoes? It says they're frost resistant.

In the meantime, I'm putting my greenhouse to good use. :D Here's everything that's planted so far hanging out in there.

The past couple days it's gotten so hot in there (98F!!!!) that I've had to open windows. The cardboard thing and heat lamp is for the three grown pepper plants so they can stay out overnight. :)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby johobbit » Feb 15, 2011 2:07 pm

De_De, we grew peas for years. They grow almost without care, except they do need water once in awhile. ;) And they never made it into a pot on the stove because we love 'em so much raw from the pod! I have never tried to grow them indoors.

fantasia, I love your greenhouse! You lucky duck! It's like a new gardening adventure. :D

I grew brussel sprouts for a couple of years, but we basically can't plant anything in the ground here until the end of May, so our harvest didn't come to fruition until mid-autumn. Again, they were never cooked: they were so scrumptious raw! They didn't grow to the size of market sprouts, but were still yummy and well-formed.
johobbit

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Feb 15, 2011 3:27 pm

I never liked raw brussel sprouts. We planted four brussel sprout plants last year, but we had the exact opposite problem. They seemed to go from tiny little pea-sized fruits to giant, bitter, cabbage explosions. We didn't end up getting any of them because they grew too quickly :(
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby stargazer » Feb 15, 2011 3:41 pm

It's fun to read about gardens when there are still big piles of snow outside. ;)) Maybe in about 6 weeks or 2 months it may be warm enough to actually work the soil outside.

On peas: we've grown both bush and vine peas in the past. Our success varied a great deal, depending largely on the weather. Peas are a cool-weather crop, so they do well relatively early in the season. But around here it's not uncommon to go from snow to 80F or even 90F (27-32C) in a matter of days or a week or two, and that sudden change to hot weather proved really hard on the peas. So enjoy 'em early! (Like jo, we ate many of them right off the vine).

Never really got into Brussels sprouts. Broccoli and spinach, on the other hand, are so much better out of the garden than from a store.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

PreviousNext