This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Acting and Live Theatre.

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Acting and Live Theatre.

Postby Lucy of Narnia » Jan 02, 2011 4:00 pm

Ok, I'll do reviews then! :)

I am so nervous...but I must just be prepared. *puts on brave face*

Thank you so much, Damsel, you are so helpful!!! :D

Another thing, would you mind filling me in on what your process was like? Like, how long did you have to wait before you started getting auditions? How did your agent get back with you? (within X amount of hours, by mail, email, etc.) How many agents did you have to talk to before one worked out? I'd like your history, basically. If you don't mind, of course.

Lu :)
Avy by me, siggy by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
You suck a lollipop, and you sing a song. Get it right, Jo!
Lucy of Narnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby DamselJillPole » Jan 02, 2011 4:15 pm

I have not auditioned for anything to big yet. I tried auditioning for a character in Battle: Los Angeles but my agent at the time couldn't help me. With my first agency it was back in 2005 and weren't very helpful to me and basically scammed me for six months. It took them almost two months to get back with me that i was in. I've tried another agency but the only work I was getting from them was extra work or nadda, right now I'm getting ready to go into another agency and will see how they work. With an agency I was rejected in only one audition but even though I got into other plays I didn't get the roles I wanted. To be honest out of the 24 things I've done thus far I only played five characters I've wanted and worked hard for. And was turned down in two other plays.

The reason why you shouldn't let rejection get to you is that it increases your chances once you establish who you are and how dedicated you are is why many great actors today get jobs all the time. Do this, you'll get something no matter what. ;)
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Lucy of Narnia » Jan 02, 2011 4:19 pm

Thanks, Damsel! So I'll do my reviews and get back to you, but...what kind of work can a teen in a little city (well, a little city by a few sorta-well-known cities) in the USA look for? I mean, what roles would they find for me?

And what rights do you give up by having an agent, other than the 10% money?

And how do I find an agent that would do international auditions, thus giving me a chance to possibly be in British films?

The Question-Filled-Lu :p
Lucy of Narnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby cuppycakesrach » Jan 02, 2011 10:43 pm

I've had acting classes ever since I was a little girl. I took classes at "The Barter Theatre" a place where many actors have had their start. I've been in lots of plays and I was in a music video for a small band. I'm juggling what to do for a career but acting is one of the things I'm pondering.
" We have nothing if not belief"
cuppycakesrach
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby georgiefan1 » Jan 02, 2011 11:47 pm

I've done some acting for school when I was younger and have always enjoyed it, I'm apart of mt drama club at my high school since my freshman year and I am a self proclaimed drama geek. I made it in my school musical Hairspray( I'm soooo excited!) even though I'm just emsemble(my singing ability is lacking amazingness) but my dance background helped me :) I cant wait for it to start!
NW twin to Georgiefan! NW sib to 22!
avvie by AslansChild thank you!!!
georgiefan1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Lucy of Narnia » Jan 03, 2011 10:22 am

So I did two plays in all...how will this look on my resume? Plus I have one credit in acting class (local). Will anyone even consider me?? :-s (I mean, as an agent)

Lu
Lucy of Narnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Movie Aristotle » Jan 03, 2011 11:26 pm

Lucy of Narnia wrote:So I did two plays in all...how will this look on my resume? Plus I have one credit in acting class (local). Will anyone even consider me?? :-s (I mean, as an agent)

Lu

This has a little to do with age. If you are still young (under 10) then I think experience doesn't matter as much. As you get older, experience matters more and more. I would definitely look into doing more plays, especially community theater, so that you gain that valuable experience. As to whether or not an agent will consider you, it kind of depends on what the agent is looking for.

If you live in a smaller city, and by smaller I mean any city which isn't Los Angelos, Chicago or New York, then you can probably expect your agent to find you mostly commercial wok.
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby DamselJillPole » Jan 04, 2011 1:49 am

Lucy of Narnia wrote:So I did two plays in all...how will this look on my resume? Plus I have one credit in acting class (local). Will anyone even consider me?? :-s (I mean, as an agent)

Lu

Yes this is the info you want to put on your resume and include the acting class. The acting class will really impress them.

Look up acting resume on google to get an example on how to write that out too! :)
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Elanor » Jan 04, 2011 7:40 am

Last night I had a first rehearsal for Annie Get Your Gun. I play Nellie, and all I'll say about the play, is that it's hilarious, and a bit inappropriate. :-s :p
I think I like everyone, but I didn't see anyone I could really be friends with. :( That's sad.
But I know it will be fun.
NW sisters Lyn, Lia, and Rose
RL sister Destined_to_Reign
Member of the Tenth Avenue North and Pixar Club
Dubbed The Ally Of Epic Awesomeness by Libby
Elanor
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Lucy of Narnia » Jan 04, 2011 3:47 pm

DamselJillPole wrote:Yes this is the info you want to put on your resume and include the acting class. The acting class will really impress them.

Look up acting resume on google to get an example on how to write that out too! :)

BTW, the acting class was a local thing done w/ a home school group. I thought it was 1/2 credit (it was ten weeks, ten weeks more in Spring that I might get to do), but the paper said 1 credit, so...? :-\ Anyway, it wasn't a big-name, well-known Hollywood class or anything, so...will that still impress them? :(

And I have looked up resumes! Some are different, so what do you include? BTW, I'm 17, will be 18 at the end of June. DO I fill out a child's resume or an adults? :-\

Thanks so much for all the help you've given me, Damsel! :ymhug:

Lu
Lucy of Narnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby DamselJillPole » Jan 04, 2011 4:12 pm

^ Its still good that you have that credit. Don't worry about Hollywood type credit yet because you are getting a local agent/agency nothing in hollywood so dont worry. You may end up getting shorter roles in films that comes to your state and may get known credit for it and then you move up to the bigger things. ;)
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Lucy of Narnia » Jan 04, 2011 4:23 pm

Cool! That's good to know they'll like it.

So how much credit did you start out with? And any more tips about going about all this? :D
Lucy of Narnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby georgiefan1 » Jan 04, 2011 8:16 pm

Elanor wrote:Last night I had a first rehearsal for Annie Get Your Gun. I play Nellie, and all I'll say about the play, is that it's hilarious, and a bit inappropriate. :-s :p
I think I like everyone, but I didn't see anyone I could really be friends with. :( That's sad.
But I know it will be fun.

Oh my school did this musical last year!!! It is great fun, and I'm sure you'll be able to meet people :)
NW twin to Georgiefan! NW sib to 22!
avvie by AslansChild thank you!!!
georgiefan1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Lucy of Narnia » Jan 05, 2011 3:23 pm

I have a new question: the agency I'm currently looking at (I don't think it is a fake after all) has a FAQ. And one of them was someone asking the agency that, if they live outside of [the city/state the agency is located], could the agency get them out of state auditions. The agency said yes, they could, in several states including LA. Now, my questions is this: if I sign w/ this agency and The Hobbit does auditions for Americans, will they probably do them in LA? And does this mean that I might get to audition for that movie after all?

Lu
Lucy of Narnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Movie Aristotle » Jan 06, 2011 10:54 am

I'm guessing that if The Hobbit does casting in the US, then it will be in LA. Whether or not you get to audition for the Hobbit depends on what contacts your agent has in LA, and what the production is looking for.

If you are seriously thinking about getting an agent, make sure you include your folks on the decision. I'm sure they'll be able to help you avoid scams.

Have you given any thought to going to an acting school or college?
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Lucy of Narnia » Jan 07, 2011 9:27 am

^ I am most definitely having my dad check things out! He is so much smarter than me at realizing scams! I am kinda...naive... :ymblushing: ;))

Um, acting school or college? Well, I know my mom wouldn't want me going to anything like a public school, but I have taken acting classes w/ a home-school group. :) What are acting schools/collages normally like?

I hope this means that my agent (if we hire this one) will be able to send me to LA for casting calls for The Hobbit!

Thank you so much for your help, Movie Aristotle. :) I am so grateful for the experience of those who know tons more than me about acting. :ymhug:

Lu
Lucy of Narnia
NarniaWeb Guru

PreviousNext