This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Jill Pole

Dressing up Narnia-style!

Moderator: Meltintalle

Re: Jill Pole

Postby Adeona » Dec 31, 2010 2:07 pm

Sounds good, Lucy of Narnia!

I would like to contribute some thoughts on the school outfit...
April Fool's SC Costume Report wrote:We wanted to give Jill a bit of flair…not to be the most fashion-forward of the school, but to have a special style in her own way. Perhaps the reason she is picked on by the bullies of the school is not only because of her rather strange last name, but also because of her unusual way of dressing?
(See this locked thread)

While this supposed costume report was a fake, I do like the idea. Perhaps Experiment House, as a rather "Progressive" school, is not too strict on the uniform idea. I imagine a regulation jacket or blouse, and regulation shorts/skirt, which the students can add to out of their own closets. I would like Jill to have a couple unusual items about her - maybe an odd hat, a silk scarf, or several Indian-style bangle bracelets?
What do you all think?
RL Sibs: Aviator, Lizzle, Narniancricket, DancingPrincesses, Andriel
Adeona
NarniaWeb Guru
Thursday's Wayfaring Child

Postby Lucy of Narnia » Dec 31, 2010 2:41 pm

Well, I personally like the idea of added accessories, though the hat scarf and bracelets you have mentioned do not particularly sound Jill-ish to me. I always picture her of more a clean dresser, nice and simple, and very tidy. I don't picture her dressing in cool, funky clothes; I just don't picture her that way. Course, most people probably picture Polly dressing like I've said for Jill, with Jill a bit more funky/retro.

I have two thoughts about the uniform strictness:

1: The school would not keep it strict, at least not for Them. Jill and the others might be expected to have a uniform, but I'm not sure.

2: Would Jill want to stand out? It might draw attention to the bullies.

However, I wouldn't mind her wearing some gorgeous accessories that are maybe even a bit funky in Narnia and when she comes back; it would show her real self, and in England it would show that she can be herself, not some tortured little girl who has to do what some bullies tell her to. :)
Avy by me, siggy by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
You suck a lollipop, and you sing a song. Get it right, Jo!
Lucy of Narnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby coracle » Dec 31, 2010 3:09 pm

I liked the idea the BBC had of a very utilitarian grey - it's still wartime, but I doubt they'd use khaki. Experiment House would have them all in a very plain uniform, but allow them to express themselves in various ways - perhaps "house" colours sewn on a sleeve or a pocket. Or a House badge or status/membership badge pinned on (eg prefects)
The suggestion a few posts ago of a blazer AND a suit jacket doesn't work, because they are the same thing. ??
In my school uniform when at school we didn't have to wear the blazer, but would put it on over the cardigan if it was cold. In the school grounds we could have just the blouse & pinafore dress, or add the cardigan/v necked jersey.
I like the idea of them all wearing longer shorts/cullottes and v necked jerseys over plain shirts/blouses. Plain laced up flat black shoes. Maybe they are allowed to wear their hair in an assortment of ways.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Lucy of Narnia » Dec 31, 2010 4:10 pm

Oops, I meant cardigan and blazer (aka suit jacket). Like Lucy wore... :ymblushing:
Lucy of Narnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Lu_valient » Dec 31, 2010 4:37 pm

made by katherine
Lu_valient
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Lucy of Narnia » Dec 31, 2010 5:07 pm

UPDATE: GOT IT NOW! (obviously :) )
http://costumes.narniaweb.com/pc_pevensiesfiles/18.JPG

Courtesy of The Wardrobe Door.http://costumes.narniaweb.com/default.asp :D

Lu
Lucy of Narnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Meltintalle » Jan 01, 2011 10:21 am

Lu, if you could change the tags in your post from

Code: Select all
[img][/img] to [url][/url]

that would work. :)
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby Lucy of Narnia » Jan 01, 2011 10:56 am

Thank you so much, Meltintalle. :) Will do!

Lu

P.S. I plan to update the costumes soon! :)
Lucy of Narnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Lucy of Narnia » Jan 01, 2011 11:24 am

Welcome to Cair Paravel Dress

The book describes this dress as being both beautiful and comfortable, so I think it should be a silk, floor-length dress with slight medieval sleeves (think Lu's coronation gown, not Arwen's dresses! or maybe between the two, but MUCH closer to Lu's!). I think she should wear some beautiful matching slippers, and have her hair slightly curled. She should maybe wear a delicate necklace, maybe w/ a bracelet or ring? She should be able to move and flow in this dress! As far as color goes, I'm thinking halfway between dusty pink + cranberry/wine red, or something along those lines.

On a Mission Outfit (w/ cloak)

In the book Jill changes back into her school clothing, and as the Narnians don't know she is going on a journey (she sneaks away in the dead of night) she would not have been given a traveling outfit. However, there is the chance that they may have supplied her closet w/ something more casual to wear the next day. So, here is my idea:

The dress should not be quite as long as the last one, perhaps. Or like Lucy's rust-red in PC, where it touches the tops of her shoes(?). The sleeves should be long-sleeved (it's an early Winter) and there should be only a slight medieval flair, if at all. The bodice should be pale blue and the dress itself should be darker blue on the outside, w/ the underskirt light gray. It should have some gold embellishing, perhaps around the sleeves and where the skirt connects to the bodice. The dress should not be velvet or silk, but maybe silk cottons and cottons. Maybe a touch of wool? Jill should wear simple but pretty shoes, similar to Lu's in PC (rust red). Jill should wear no jewelry, and her hair should be either down, and still curled slightly, or it should be pulled back like Su and Lu in LWW and Lu in PC. (The two slim braids at the top, pulled around to the back of the head.) Her cloak should be light-weight and "swishy", and should be somewhere between the color of her dress and black, like maybe a very dark blue. The fabric should be "slippery" and very light, perhaps like a poly-something or other. (:ymblushing: )

Horrible Harfang Dress
+
Peace Restored Dress

Coming soon!! :)
Lucy of Narnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Lu_valient » Jan 01, 2011 4:34 pm

Lu, maybe the cloak could be Simplicity 2285 view b
http://www.simplicity.com/p-5532-misses-jackets.aspx, or McCall's M6209 view d http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m6209-products-12434.php?page_id=911, or McCall's M4698 http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m4698-products-6558.php?page_id=915
For the welcome dress maybe something like this:
http://armstreet.livejournal.com/3726.html
For the traveling dress:
check out http://www.dornbluth.co.uk
made by katherine
Lu_valient
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Meltintalle » Jan 01, 2011 5:46 pm

I like the titles you're coming up with for the dresses, Lucy of Narnia. :)

This one is inspired by your description for 'On a Mission' but I wasn't reading what you wrote very carefully when I sketched it out. ;))

Anyway, the underdress is based on what is known as the gothic fitted dress and the dress seen in Waterhouse's painting Destiny. The overdress is based on Lucy's tunic in VotDT and other Telmarine styles.

I really like that shade of blue.
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby Lucy of Narnia » Jan 01, 2011 6:07 pm

Lu, I like the last option of cloak and love the two dress ideas! I like the blue w/ white sleeves for the traveling dress. :D

Thank you, Meltintalle. :ymblushing:

That is so gorgeous, Meltintalle and better than I imagined! Normally I like some things of costumes but not others, but that one is so beautiful! I LOVE the colors! :ymapplause: My mom pointed out how you even drew the folds of fabric- that is so cool! I love the embellishments and how you made the dress more Historical, basing it off of the History of Narnia!! LOVE the cloak! :ymapplause:

Lu
Lucy of Narnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Adeona » Jan 01, 2011 6:39 pm

Lucy of Narnia, thanks for your thoughts on my accessories idea! :ymhug: You make a lot of good points. Your dress descriptions are great! And you are so good at explaining what you have in mind, especially color-wise. :) Personally, I'd like to see Jill wear her hair in one braid down her back for much of the adventure, though. Or at least something different from what the Pevensie girls have done.

Meltintalle, that is beautiful! I love the colors and the different lengths of the layers. And I can definitely see some Telmarine influence. Also, the big brooch fastener is neat looking.
Adeona
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Lucy of Narnia » Jan 01, 2011 7:48 pm

Your welcome, Adeona! :) It is fun to work out what Jill might wear!
Thank you for the nice compliments! :ymblushing:

Braid down the back, sounds interesting! I'm not quite decided if I like it yet...50% Neat!! and 50% 'is-that-Narnian-enough-for-my-taste?' Of course Jill will only have Puddleglum to do her hair for her ( =)) ) so maybe she would wear simple British styles. I say! that's a thought; add a touch of England to Jill's outfits or hair so that she has her own, uniquie style, not just a Su + Lu copy-cat! Ok, I've decided that I love it! But what if her hair is not long enough? I've been picturing Jill's hair as Metintalle drew it up...??

Lu
Lucy of Narnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Adeona » Jan 01, 2011 8:52 pm

That's what I was wondering about too - hair length. :-\ I do picture Jill's hair as just below shoulder length, if that. Hmm. Maybe it could stay loose - though it'd probably get in the way... Well, I'll keep an open and busy mind on the subject! ;;) I'll see if I can't come up with a few costume ideas, while I'm at it.

Edit: Would an up-do be too mature? Depending on Jill's age, it may be. But my 15 year old sister (NarnianCricket) has been wearing her hair in bun almost all the time for about a year. It looks fine on her, and it's shortish-hair appropriate! It would go with Jill's generally sensible and simple style. But it could go a bit fancier then a regular bun without being too complicated.

Basic Bun

If you focus on the hair and not the model, this is just right!

Here's another interesting take.
Adeona
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Lu_valient » Jan 02, 2011 6:19 am

My take on Lucy of Narnia's ideas about Jill's Welcome to Cair Paravel Dress
http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/2438170120105419157QQtCrC
and On a Mission outfit
http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/2843632570105419157hZOveR
Maybe Jill's hair could start off in two small braids that turn into a French Braid
made by katherine
Lu_valient
NarniaWeb Nut

PreviousNext