This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Eustace in the Silver Chair

A place for unconfirmed news and whisperings.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, coracle

Re: Eustace in the Silver Chair

Postby Lucy of Narnia » Dec 13, 2010 3:51 pm

Malfhok wrote:And sadly, in America anyway, it's practically impossible for a guy and a girl to be really good friends without somebody assuming romance. 8-|

Well, look how they did Caspian and Lilliandil. (After seeing what a non-existant romance got turned into for PC, I was horrified at the prospect of the romance in VotDT. What a pleasant surprise- basically nothing!) Maybe they'll shock us! :D
Avy by me, siggy by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
You suck a lollipop, and you sing a song. Get it right, Jo!
Lucy of Narnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Tirian541 » Dec 14, 2010 4:39 pm

Here's some hope:
If the Lord of the Rings cast/crew could make adult men 3 feet tall, maybe the Narnia cast/crew can make Eustace the correct height! :D

If they did re-cast him, the new Eustace must be just as good if not better then the current one. But it will be very sad if they do...
Tirian541
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby FriendofNarnia2 » Dec 14, 2010 7:07 pm

I'm not going to sweat over this one. I'd rather worry about global warming.
Check out "The Magician's Nephew" and "The Last Battle" trailers I created!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwWtuk3Qafg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrPxboeZqrA
FriendofNarnia2
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Timo » Dec 15, 2010 10:35 am

They won't recast Will because he's too old... The filmmakers aren't stupid, he's done an incredible job in VDT (best child actor in the movie) + the audience would be confused if they chose a new actor. I would be a stupid economic move.
Timo
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Ithilwen » Dec 23, 2010 2:16 am

Malfhok wrote:There are, unfortunately, enough hints of best-friendship that can be taken as romance in the book (don't shoot me, it's there!) that I wouldn't be surprised if there was some amount of chemistry between Eustace and Jill. I'm not at all sure what I think of that.

It might not be too bad. it could be good if it was done right. There isn't much tension between characters in the books -- which is a good thing for a children's story book. But a movie is different. If there isn't tension in a movie, it seems, people lose interest.

I'm really curious to see how they portray Eustace and Jill's relationship... It seems like they should build off the fact that he used to bully her. But I don't know if they will or not.

~Riella
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby Reepicheep775 » Dec 23, 2010 1:11 pm

I disagree that there isn't tension between the characters in the book. There's tension between all three. The two kids get mad at Puddleglum because he's such a 'wet blanket' and Jill doesn't like Eustace at the start of the book, but by the end, they're friends. There's absolutley no need to add Jillstace. (-|
Reepicheep775
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stateofgreen » Dec 23, 2010 4:09 pm

Agreed. Definitely no Jillstace, they cannot ruin another film of the book for me X( , it has to be true to the book with SC. Besides there's much more fun to be had with relationship tension without making everything romantic.... (-|

Signature by Ithilwen/Avatar by Djaq

Member of the Will Poulter is Eustace club

stateofgreen
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Ithilwen » Dec 23, 2010 9:53 pm

Reepicheep775 wrote:I disagree that there isn't tension between the characters in the book. There's tension between all three. The two kids get mad at Puddleglum because he's such a 'wet blanket' and Jill doesn't like Eustace at the start of the book, but by the end, they're friends. There's absolutley no need to add Jillstace. (-|

I don't mean they need to add Jilstace necessarily. Just something to make it more interesting.
The tension that is there was fine for a book. But not for a movie, in my opinion. Quarreling and getting mad at eachother is typical with anyone on any adventure. And though C.S. Lewis made it unique in his book, it would not look unique enough on the big screen. Especially to non-book fans, who don't know and love the characters as much as we do. A book is longer, and so we have more time to get to know the characters. But a movie is fairly short. There isn't much time to get to know them. So a lot of times, film makers have to put in certain parts to make it more dramatic in order to better bring out the character's personalities more. :)

~Riella
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Shastafan » Dec 24, 2010 8:13 pm

Ah, I'm not for Jilstace either, but I see what you mean, Ithilwen. Getting relationships across (and I don't mean romance relationship) isn't as easy as it is in a book. Like I said, I want a close friend relationship by the end, which I've seen in the relationship between my sister and her friend (who's a boy). Could it be mistaken for love? Yes, but not a love that means "Ooh, let's get married!" but instead a "I really care and respect that person." If they could achieve that with Eustace and Jill (along with Digory and Polly + Shasta and Aravis) by the ending, I will be very happy and overjoyed! :ymhug:
Shastafan
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Reepicheep775 » Dec 24, 2010 11:34 pm

Ithilwen wrote:I don't mean they need to add Jilstace necessarily. Just something to make it more interesting.
The tension that is there was fine for a book. But not for a movie, in my opinion. Quarreling and getting mad at eachother is typical with anyone on any adventure. And though C.S. Lewis made it unique in his book, it would not look unique enough on the big screen. Especially to non-book fans, who don't know and love the characters as much as we do. A book is longer, and so we have more time to get to know the characters. But a movie is fairly short. There isn't much time to get to know them. So a lot of times, film makers have to put in certain parts to make it more dramatic in order to better bring out the character's personalities more. :)

~Riella

Wait, so you're saying the film-makers should add things to Jill and Eustace's relationship becasue the film medium is shorter? I can't say I follow that logic. ;)

As far as originality goes, I could definitley see Jill and Eustace's relationship (using the term relationship lightly) as coming across as cliche on-screen. That's why it's so important that the filmmakers get Jill and Eustace's characters right. If they do, it shouldn't come across as cliche because the two of them, along with Puddleglum, have such a great, original dynamic.
Reepicheep775
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stateofgreen » Dec 25, 2010 8:51 am

They bicker a lot, but if there was a way the writers could still have them do the bickering in a fresh way and not have it come off cliche that would help. They have to be given a proper script and direction for the tone of the relationships between the three of them to come across.

Signature by Ithilwen/Avatar by Djaq

Member of the Will Poulter is Eustace club

stateofgreen
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Reepicheep775 » Dec 25, 2010 2:22 pm

The relationship, in the book, is unique. If the filmmakers try to add to it, mark my words, it will become cliche. :|
Reepicheep775
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Ithilwen » Dec 26, 2010 2:52 am

Reepicheep775 wrote:Wait, so you're saying the film-makers should add things to Jill and Eustace's relationship becasue the film medium is shorter? I can't say I follow that logic.

Not quite what I meant. They don't have to add anything to the relationship exactly. But they may have to add new scenes to the movie, that make their relationships/personalities comes across more clearly to the audience, since we don't have as much time to get to know them. ;) And not just Eustace and Jill, but any of the characters.

~Riella
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Reepicheep775 » Dec 26, 2010 11:02 am

Oh, I see what you're saying. Just make a few scenes more intense, because of the shorter page (screen) time. There's a danger of making the characters too melodramatic though. I still think there's enough drama in the book, Scrubb and Pole can get pretty intense at times.

...And, we are slightly off topic.
Reepicheep775
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby FriendofNarnia2 » Dec 29, 2010 10:16 am

I think something along the lines of what they did to the characters in Bridge to Terabithia would be good. You could tell there wasn't a romantic interest between the kids, just a deep friendship.

Anyway, isn't this whole conversation a little off-topic?
Check out "The Magician's Nephew" and "The Last Battle" trailers I created!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwWtuk3Qafg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrPxboeZqrA
FriendofNarnia2
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby perfect_jill_pole » Dec 29, 2010 12:02 pm

FriendofNarnia2 wrote:I think something along the lines of what they did to the characters in Bridge to Terabithia would be good. You could tell there wasn't a romantic interest between the kids, just a deep friendship.

Like that idea! Never thought of that. But let´s get back to the topic. I think they shouldn´t recast Eustace. I mean it´s gonna become a confusing film, and maybe if some people idn´t notice, maybe Will P is taller, and will be taller because he is GROWING that happens alot with boys and girls. And we don´t want a Jill taller than Eustace, that´s wierd. So: NO RE CASTING!
HELP SAVE SILVER CHAIR! WATCH VDT!
perfect_jill_pole
NarniaWeb Regular

PreviousNext