This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Leaked Script vs. Final Movie

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Re: Leaked Script vs. Final Movie

Postby Josh » Dec 14, 2010 4:08 pm

Idunno. We would have still had Dragon Island, Lucy in the Magician's House, the Dark Island (in it's original form), and I'm pretty sure Goldwater Island.
Winter Is Coming
Josh
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby lysander » Dec 14, 2010 4:15 pm

The green mist was still pretty intrusive, and illogical, to boot. :(
~~~~~
"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it."
~~~~~
lysander
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Josh » Dec 16, 2010 2:55 pm

True. There was a time however, shortly after the international trailer report was released, where interviews and information seemed to indicate that the White Witch was the main villain, that I thought the filmakers were replacing the Lady of the Green Kirtle with the White Witch.

Now that would have been worse case sceneario. If the White Witch had somehow come back to life and was the cause behind the Green Mist. Fortunatly she turned out to just be a product of it.
Winter Is Coming
Josh
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Reepi » Dec 17, 2010 6:42 pm

icarus wrote:If anything was a pack of lies it was the press-release that they put out to denounce the script as a "very experimental draft" that was never supposed to see the light of day. The existence of concept art depicting scenes from it and the fact that they were using it to cast roles indicates it was much more "proper" than they let on. That so many significant chunks of it (both whole scenes and general essences of scenes) remain in the final movie also tells its own story.

This!

Not forgetting that the "leaked script" was a proposal that had not even been to the producers before some unwise person posted it on their hackable website, and was never approved.

Even though practically this is true, they of course did NOT tell us that the script was based on the very same concepts the crew actually wanted in the movie.

The crew placating us with a statement like that (very experimental draft blahblah), when the reason for most of the fan-uproar was in the same concepts (most of which _did_ end up in the movie, because they were planning them all along which I have time and time written here before the movie came out) and changes from the book wasn't really the best thing to do.

What we got in the end wasn't much better either.

We got a "watered down" leaked script, and in the process everything else also got a little bit "watered down" :P
Reepi
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Umbarto » Dec 17, 2010 8:44 pm

Ugh, i would have hated a film based on the leaked script. It may have been a better film, and i may have liked it, but not as an adaptation of VDT. As an adaptation, it would have been horrendous, and i'm grateful it never made it to theaters.
‘Then rightly you game the name to the youngest of your children,’ said Ambarussa, ‘and Umbarto “the Fated” was its true form.’ –The Shibboleth of Fëanor.
Umbarto
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Trufflehunter » Dec 18, 2010 10:39 am

What if the green mist was somehow tendrils of smoke from the LotGK fire? You know, the green fire she lights in SC to tempt Eustace, Jill, and Puddleglum into believing that there is no Overworld. This is how I prefer they connect VDT and SC, as it would make the most sense.
"I'm a beast I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on. I say great good will come of it... And we beasts remember, even if Dwarfs forget, that Narnia was never right except when a son of Adam was King." -Trufflehunter
Trufflehunter
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Shastafan » Dec 18, 2010 1:59 pm

Please, no! I'm okay with a small fraction of the leaked script (including the stuff we saw in the movie), but that would've been an even worse adaption then we have now! :( /:) x_x :-q ~x( :-t [-(

BUT, as much as I know that I might get in trouble for saying this, but they could totally reuse some of these ideas for SC, especially 'cause they'd make more sense there. I have few doubts now that VDT and SC will have attached plots, but may they not be as bad as the leaked script looks! I can hope, can't I? :ympray: :ymdaydream: ;)
Shastafan
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Josh » Dec 18, 2010 3:20 pm

I think the Serpant Cave could actually be used during the Silver Chair quite easily.

For instance, one of Aslan's signs could be to arrive at the Ruined City when the moon is full. So shortly after escaping Harfang, it could happen to be a full moon and then from the rocks of the Ruined City emerges teh Serpant cave. Jill, Eustace, and Puddlglum enter it and it closes behind them. And that would be their entrance to the Underworld.

It would be an element that would add a sense of rush to their mission...reaching the Ruined City before the full moon.
Winter Is Coming
Josh
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby adamie » Dec 26, 2010 3:17 pm

Wow, this actually made me like the leaked script over the film. I mean, it is still terrible, but it made way more sense as a story, and had way more connections to the books, even though they should not have been made in the first place. But what they basically did after hearing the terrible reactions to the leaked script, is change some details, so that the fans would shut up, while they just got their way. The movie turned out to be worse because of this.

I especially liked the dark island scene in the leaked script. It sounds very interesting, and much more like the book. Instead of having a huge battle, it would have been more like the book. And the Caspian/Ramandu's Daughter romance would have been much better if she actually would appear in various moments throughout the movie.
click the image.
adamie
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Trufflehunter » Dec 26, 2010 3:26 pm

What happened in the Dark island scene in the leaked script, adamie?!

Josh, I agree. After your depiction of how the serpent cave could be used in SC, I almost want them too/ wish they had!!!
"I'm a beast I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on. I say great good will come of it... And we beasts remember, even if Dwarfs forget, that Narnia was never right except when a son of Adam was King." -Trufflehunter
Trufflehunter
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby adamie » Dec 27, 2010 9:44 am

Trufflehunter wrote:What happened in the Dark island scene in the leaked script, adamie?!

Well, since it wasn't the climax, it probably wouldn't have been an action scene, like in the film. It probably would have been more like the book, with an albatross that actually did save them, and them thanking Aslan and not Eustace afterward. I am a big fan of Ben Barnes, and I think he would have played the part where he is tempted by the vision of Liliandil brilliantly. It would have made their romance much stronger. In the film, it was barely there.
click the image.
adamie
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Trufflehunter » Dec 27, 2010 11:11 am

Interesting. But I agree that Caspian's visions of Lilliandil would have made their relationship at least seem more developed.
Trufflehunter
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby adamie » Dec 27, 2010 11:20 am

All in all, it would have been a worse adaptation, but a much better movie on its own. It all depends on whether you prefer good adaptation or good film.
click the image.
adamie
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Eustace » Jan 12, 2011 10:16 am

Neither of the version are a very good adaptation. I would prefer the leaked script to what we got because maybe we could made it better looking cutting out random things like Lucian romance (well, one sided romance) and stuff. We could have a really cool looking fan edited movie. But with this we have barely anything to work with and it is too fast paced.
Homeschoolers taking over the World!
Member of RD's club.
VP of the CWM club
Dragon fan club
I Support Scrubb!
Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Movie Aristotle » Jan 12, 2011 5:31 pm

After seeing the film multiple times, and now after reading the plot for the leaked script, I am content with the film as is. As I've said before, changes are necessary when adapting a book to film, -they are just less necessary than Hollywood would have you believe. I think that VDT would have worked fine as the episodic adventure that it is. There was no need for villains, darkness, or anything of that sort.

However, IF the production team has its heart set on changing the original story, then I'd much rather have the film be about Dark Island than the Lady of the Green Kirtle. First, the events of Dark Island in the movie was actually surprisingly like the events of Dark Island in the book. It was just the green mist that was intrusive in the rest of the film. The more I watch the film though, the more it makes sense. It gently moves the plot forward without too much damage to the book's original story, besides a significant shift in the overall tone of the film.

The Lady of the Green Kirtle on the other hand, would have murdered the plot of the book, without adding anything to the movie. Sure it would have had continuity with PC and SC, but it also would have killed SC. All of the mystery would be gone, and the LotGK would be quite recognizable when Eustace meets her halfway through the story. -But enough about SC. There is quite enough reason not to have that sort of nonsense by looking into VDT.

I agree that in the current version of the film the Lone Islands were ruined, but in the leaked script it looks like the Lone Islands were ruined anyway, without much reason. The beginning of the story only affects the end of the story (the underwater battle, which was made up by the filmmakers anyway), and does not serve to tie together the episodes on the other islands. The Dark Island plot does tie the episodes together, and does not delve into other chronicles in order to do so.

Nor does it have our main characters acting stupidly lovestruck over each other. Lucy for Caspian? Mrs. Trumpkin? Caspian wrecking his ship on dark island in order to see an image of Liliandil? -If that isn't a major change to the plot of the dark island chapter, I don't know what is.

Also, although I agree that they should have spotted the Blue Star a bit earlier in the film, I can't complain, because in the movie the first time we see Liliandil in bodily form is exactly were she should be: Ramandu's Island. I simply won't complain about the film being too much like the book.

Therefore, of the two plots, I prefer the final movie version, (although I would have liked it developed a bit more) and I would have preferred the original book's story over them both.
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Jan 12, 2011 7:08 pm

For a while I was thinking that much of the leaked script sounded better but I think I've changed my mind (you made some good points MA). If they went with the leaked script they might as well have called the movie the Voyage of the Silver Chair or Voyage to the Silver Chair or Voyage of the Dawn Treader and the Silver Chair. The plots would have been basically identical: People disappear and end up under something, people are enchanted, enchantments are broken, oh and missing family members. Seriously, we have already had enough deja vu in this franchise to last us a while. I think I would have preferred the Bern in the leaked script, but as MA said Narrowhaven was ruined in both scripts so it doesn't make much difference either way. I think the enchanted slave traders and glowing green eyes were just a bit much. It takes away from evilness of the characters if they are enchanted when they are doing things. Pug is clearly a villian - the earthmen in SC are not. As much as I hate to admit it, I find it easier to understand how the slaves got to where they were rescued from in the leaked script than the movie. Actually, it is more I can understand how they are found / have survived. Wait, I think I'm being to understand the dark island appearing in boats thing a little better. Now that I think about it, it isn't far off from what I imagined the dark island to be from reading the book. #-o In the book, we don't know how Rhoop survives and in the movie we don't know how the people in the boat survive. In other words, much is unsaid in the book so why shouldn't there be some unsaid stuff in the movie? If I remember correctly when we were discussing views on the Dark Island, we ran into some problems with how some of us picture the dark island as kind of intangible and not truly an island and I think there might have been talk about Rhoop either swimming all that time or inhabiting a boat. I could be wrong and I'm too lazy to go and dig up the thread. :p How those people managed to survive without going insane like Rhoop I still can't figure out.

I hate the idea of Lucy having a crush on Caspian and the idea of the witch's knife being used for good. It oughtn't be allowed to be used at all. As much as I dislike the seven swords, I'll take them over the stone knife any day.

I think Edmund recognized the knife because it either looked like something the Witch would have (it is similar to her wand) or because he saw her with it at some other point. I'm sure she carried it with her. In the book, I think she almost kills him with it or at least that is what I assumed.

I think it would have been weird for Caspian to be having dreams about RD (I can't stand the name "Star Girl" ). In the book, there isn't much of a romance either so I don't have major problems with the way the movie depicted the attraction. Of course, I would have loved word for word from the book.

I also prefer Gael and Rhince looking for Helaine or whatever her name is to Trumpkin looking for his wife. It would have been hard if not impossible to believe and / or have Caspian and crew set out from Narnia without an idea things were wrong if Trumpkin's wife was missing. Anyway, I can't see him as being the marrying type. :p

Movie Aristotle wrote:Therefore, of the two plots, I prefer the final movie version, (although I would have liked it developed a bit more) and I would have preferred the original book's story over them both.
And that sums it up well. It also explains why I prefer the BBC's VDT.
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

PreviousNext