This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Video games

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Video games

Postby FencerforJesus » Dec 16, 2010 8:24 pm

I'm certain it is a fun game, considering I have played the original DK countries for SNES. But I am very concerned about replay value. I don't like games that are worth playing once then never again.

For me, it's a long wait until April and the Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword comes out.
Be watching for the release of my spiritual warfare novel under a new title: "Call to Arms" by OakTara Publishing. A sequel (title TBD) will shortly follow.
FencerforJesus
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby IloveFauns » Dec 17, 2010 4:21 am

I can't wait for that game to come out and i actually will have money to get it.

I have played the DK ones for 64 and gamecube, The one i played for 64 was really good. I think the 64 has the best games for its time then another nintendo console.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby FencerforJesus » Dec 17, 2010 8:18 am

I agree about Nintendo having the best games. DK 64 was the best in the series. I haven't played the ones for the GC or Wii yet, but I am still waiting for DK 64 to come out for Wii Virtual Console. While it will never truly compare with Zelda Ocarina of Time or Mario 64 for that generation, it is one of the better games.

And in spite of what the critics call, Nintendo has always carried the best games. Sony and Microsoft know how to put out impressive looking games but graphics don't always make a game, and when the system itself has a history of crashing, not a good sign. I've never heard of a Nintendo console system having the troubles that the PS3 and XBox 360 have had. Playstation has some good games, mostly made by Square Enix (ie Final Fantasy series), but Nintendo IMO still is the standard. Besides, ever notice how Sony and Microsoft are desperately trying to ride on Nintendo's bandwagon with the motion sensor controllers?
Be watching for the release of my spiritual warfare novel under a new title: "Call to Arms" by OakTara Publishing. A sequel (title TBD) will shortly follow.
FencerforJesus
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Aslans_Jewel » Dec 17, 2010 1:39 pm

I just tried Halo: Reach today at school (half day, Fun!) it was great, and I now know what to do with christmas money :)
Aslans_Jewel
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby IloveFauns » Dec 18, 2010 2:02 am

Yeah i have noticed thast they have all started doing the motion thing. I don't see whats so greatabout call of duty. I mean it is okay but not as good as everyone saying it is.

also xbox ruined banjio kazooie so i will never forgive them for that. I do like the final fantasy games for ps2 and 3 though.

What games are on the wii shop at the moment because my wi-fi usb thing broke over 2 years ago so there would be alot more avalible now.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby FencerforJesus » Dec 18, 2010 7:25 am

Just look up Wii Virtual Console on the net and you'll get numerous links for what's available. If you have wireless, the Wii can set up that way too. I can't get on the internet on my Wii because my campus internet required a log in, which blocks Wii access. So I have to wait for the summer when I live home and don't require the log in. Oh well.

I've been listening to video game music playlists on YouTube and I've heard some sound pieces to the New Super Mario Bros Wii. I just got sold on buying it. Some of the music is absolutely epic.
FencerforJesus
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby waterkid72 » Jan 04, 2011 12:27 am

Recently I've been playing two new games for the Wii: Sonic Colours and Monster Hunter Tri (3). Sonic Colours has been particularly pleasant. Is by far one of the best Sonic Games in years and considering how scarce platform games are these days, this is quite a blessing.

The other game I really kept paying attention to was Metroid Other M. I bought it on day one, and despite the huge backslash the game has been getting I have to say is a great game. The interesting thing about Other M is that you play with only one Wii Remote. Its also in third person, very similar to the old Metroid games used to be.

I have so many games to buy from last year that I just cannot get. Especially for the Wii, though I'm planning to get some for the Playstation 3. After all I just got one game for that one.

Sonic Gameplay UK

Metroid Other M Gameplay Trailer

Here I leave some trailers for you to check out. And Fencer, I think you should particularly check Metroid, I'm sure you will be at least quite interested.
"Through vigilance and strength we create peace."

I just want to be hidden in the shadows... this silence; this cold.
waterkid72
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Lucy of Narnia » Jan 05, 2011 6:58 pm

I like the Narnia LWW and PC video games, and we have LotR, FotR. It is hard! My bro found a cheat and we played as Frodo (haha, couldn't have guessed that!) and Pippin against Gollum. We died. It is so funny when they just flop down and lay there! ;)) But poor Frodo!!

Lu

Oh yeah, I like the starwars lego games too. :D
Avy by me, siggy by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
You suck a lollipop, and you sing a song. Get it right, Jo!
Lucy of Narnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby 7chronicles » Jan 07, 2011 4:36 pm

@Lucy of Narnia: I also Love the LWW and PC games! :D And I also Love LOTR’s games! :D
Do you have both the Two Towers and the Return of the King Video Games? :-\ And do you have a Playstation or something else if you don’t mind me asking. :p

The Value of myth is that it takes all the things you know and restores to them the rich significance which has been hidden by the veil of familiarity. C.S. Lewis
7chronicles
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby IloveFauns » Jan 07, 2011 5:35 pm

I just pre-ordered Skyward Sword comes at JB hit fi(game shops are rip offs)
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby fantasia » Jan 09, 2011 11:09 am

Man, my husband and I got so many games for Christmas/my birthday it's not even funny. We're still working through them. ;))

Majesty 2 - PC - I really loved the first Majesty game, even though I'm not very good at it. I saw the second one was out and have completed all of the campaign missions up til Expert. Then they get REALLY hard. Whew. Basically the way this game plays is, you're the king of your realm. You build specific buildings to hire heroes. The heroes can do pretty much whatever they want to, and you as the king have to place rewards to encourage them. And then of course, different heroes are better at certain things than others. Your beginning four hero types are Rogues (are bribed easily by gold, but not very good at fighting), Rangers (long distance attack and like exploring), Warriors (your primary fighter), and Clerics (your primary healer).
And the other important thing you must do is build an economy as well for your heroes to spend money which you get to further your kingdom. It's a simple game, and yet really complicated at the same time. I love it personally, but it's not for everyone.

Halo Reach - XBox 360 - I am still horrid at first person shooters. I almost never play them, so I just watch my husband play this one. But he's really good at it and is currently going through the game on Heroic. I do have to admit that I did like the storyline of this game. :)

Donkey Kong Country Returns - Wii - My brother got me this game for my birthday, and I've barely played it cause this is the other kind of game I'm not good at. The play style is very similar to a Mario game and the later Donkey Kong games (not the early ones where he's throwing barrels down ramps and ladders at Mario). My husband and I finally gave it a try and we beat the first level! Go us! LOL I suspect with some practice I'll get fairly decent at it, but I hear it gets pretty hard later on.

Dance Dance Revolution Bundle - Wii - Well this was an unexpected gift because I didn't even know this particular version existed, but it's FUN! This particular set favors the arms rather than the legs if you play the Choreographed setting, and unlike the Hottest Dance Party versions, you have to do WAY more than just shake the Wiimote. You actually have to do poses, punch in directions, and other things with your arms. Disco songs are particularly hilarious. Love this one, and will definitely be playing more of it. ;)

Kinect Sensor with Kinect Adventures - XBox 360 - Yeah... my hubby got a Kinect. ;)) I have mixed feelings on this one. On one hand the design of it is pretty cool and i see a lot of future potential. But on the other hand, the default game that comes with it seems to lag behind your actual motions. For example, the game I tried was more or less like handball. Ball comes towards you, you swing your hand to hit the ball, but when I'd actually do it, it'd be a second or two behind and I kept missing. It was easier to simply position your body in front of the ball and just let it bounce off your torso. I'm wanting to get Dance Masters with some extra Christmas money and I'm crossing my fingers that it reads better since IGN gave it a pretty high rating. :)

Other random games we're currently playing....

Plants Vs. Zombies - PC - My sister Aravanna was kind enough to get me hooked on this one (you can play it by clicking the link). At least the free version ends so you're not playing for hours on end. I'm toying with the idea of buying the full version with some of my XBox points as it's available on the 360 as a download....

Castle Crashers - XBox360 - Someone told me the history of this game... I guess it came out on an earlier console and nobody knew about it? But now it's a downloadable game through the 360 marketplace and it's quite popular, perhaps even in the top 10 downloadable 360 games? My brother was kind enough to get my husband and I hooked on it. I guess the closest way I can think of to describe the game play is like the old arcade Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. It's silly, it's random, it's got the BEST music EVER (Can't get enough of the music!). The only negative to the game that I can think of are some gross bodily noises and excrements that occur in the game when woodland animals are scared.... Aside from that, it's awesome.

:D
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby SnowAngel » Mar 09, 2011 7:01 pm

Last night my older brother and I played Splinter Cell: Conviction in hunter mode. Awesome! B-) It's one of my favorite games. :D Has anyone else played it?

SnowAngel
We are too prone to engrave our trials in marble
and write our blessings in sand. — C.H. Spurgeon
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby IloveFauns » Mar 10, 2011 4:27 pm

I haven't played that game.

march 31st= 3ds i can't wait.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Shadowlander » Mar 11, 2011 6:09 am

I've been playing Fallout 3 again, of late, trying to get all the Achievements for it filled in. I'm only 5 shy now and hopefully will have em' all done before too long. What's funny is that my wife and I are planning on making a trek up to Washington DC next month which is where the game is set, albeit in the futuristic post-nuclear war ruins of the city. I've been planning the trip and while looking at pictures and maps of sites to see I keep running across familiar spots that I've adventured through in-game a number of times...I can just imagine coming off of the DC Metro out of the Smithsonian Station and saying to my wife, "Hey babe! I bagged my first Super Mutant here! Right on this spot!" :)) Thanks to the game I have a better knowledge of the layout of the city too. :D

The ruins of the US Capitol Building.

Washington Monument on the left in Fallout 3, 200 years after a nuclear war in an alternate timeline. Washington Monument on the right as it is today.

The remains of Arlington Cemetary. I always feel very somber when I visit this area of the game and hat's off to the developers for eliciting that emotion out of me.
Kennel Keeper of Fenris Ulf

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby Bookwyrm » Mar 11, 2011 3:59 pm

Anyone else playing Rift? I wasn't going to, but my LoTRO kinmates all decided to play and loved it. So I got roped into playing and now I love it too. ;)) I can barely get any questing in, there's always a rift or an invasion for me to run off and fight, which is a good thing. Questing quickly becomes mind-bogglingly dull in any game, so having a ton of dynamic content to break it up is nice. Last night I helped down an invasion boss that had almost 400k health. :-o There was so many people on it firing off attacks that I couldn't even see the thing, just a mass of spell and attack colored light effects. It was a blast. :D
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus
Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby Shadowlander » Mar 11, 2011 7:26 pm

You had me going there for a bit, Booky. I thought you were referencing this Rifts and got very excited. ;))

In unrelated news, Gamespot picked their "Greatest Video Game Hero" (I'm guessing of "all time") and awarded it to Dr. Gordon Freeman from the Half Life series. Apparently Freeman narrowly edged out Mario in a nailbiter of a finale. I love March...always a ton o' bracket contests going on. ;))
Kennel Keeper of Fenris Ulf

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

PreviousNext