This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Caspian - Ben Barnes

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Re: Caspian - Ben Barnes

Postby joy93 » Dec 11, 2010 2:56 pm

-queenSUSAN- wrote:I loved the change from Prince to King! That was pulled off very well, except I think they could've given Ben some more dramatic material to sink his teeth into. I'm very glad the distracting accent is gone, it made Ben more kingly and I thought he did a great job! Very authoritative and aristocratic. (The scene where he agrees to let Rhince on board, although brief, served to prove my point. Also when Ed is trying to tell them to land on the Lone Islands and Caspian takes charge.)

~~

I agree. They could have done much more with his character. I also love the change frome Prince to King!!! :D :D :D You could definatly see the change. Oh and I love the sceen were he gives his speech to the crew!!!!
joy93
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Lirenel » Dec 11, 2010 7:45 pm

I thought Caspian was a much stronger character in this film. As mentioned above, he has more confidence in his command - when Edmund takes charge at the Lone Islands and Drinian corrects him, Caspian very quietly and calmly takes charge without making Edmund feel like he was overstepping his authority. He didn't yell at Edmund like he would have Peter in PC, but let Drinian stick up for him.

Except for the very end, his 'temptation' was the most subtle, which I appreciated in a very heavy-handed movie. Overall, after Eustace and Reepicheep, Caspian was probably the best actor - though in Skandar's defense, he was given much worse to deal with and managed to be on par with Ben on the acting front...it's just the writing that brought him down.

One scene that really stuck out to me was Caspian's "big speech" at the end. The speech itself was nothing great, but the surprise Caspian felt when he was cheered was obvious. It shows a little hint of the inadequacy he might feel that the dark island plays on (with his father's 'ghost').

Over all, I applaud Ben Barnes for a good acting job.
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

My overview of VODT: http://lady-lirenel.livejournal.com/151965.html
Lirenel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby aragorn2 » Dec 11, 2010 7:49 pm

I liked Caspian much more in this movie, he played King Caspian as well as I could ever ask
aragorn2
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby malkah » Dec 11, 2010 8:55 pm

Caspian (along with Eustace and Reepicheep) is what really made this movie for me.

I thought Ben's acting was marvelously improved from Prince Caspian (losing the Inigo Montoya accent helped quite a bit). And apart from the random Susan comment, he was nearly everything I pictured in book Caspian; kingly and compassionate, with the longing to see the unknown and a hidden, lonely sense of inadequacy. The highest praise I can give Ben is that at the end of PC, I'm not sure I would have left Narnia in Caspian's hands. ;) In VDT, I saw the great king that Caspian is meant to be.

Favorite moment? When Caspian stands, his fingers touching the wave at the End of the World, and realizes that even though he has longed for this all his life, his task isn't done yet. Brilliantly done. :D
the light after the storm
shows that hope was never gone

Snow After Fire graphics
malkah
Moderator Emeritus
The Invincible One

Postby Lirenel » Dec 11, 2010 9:03 pm

Honestly, even the scene talking about Susan was handled better than I expected. The way it was phrased, and the wry smile on Ben's face, gave me the impression that "no one to match your sister" meant more than beauty, but the poise and grace of a queen of old that he felt lacking in the women around him. At least, I felt that I could fool myself into thinking that, which in a moving lacking in subtlety I really appreciated.
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

My overview of VODT: http://lady-lirenel.livejournal.com/151965.html
Lirenel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Narnian_Archer » Dec 12, 2010 6:25 am

Agreed aragorn2 and malkah Caspian was good--Ben Barnes did a much better job here than in Prince Caspian.
Lirenel
Honestly, even the scene talking about Susan was handled better than I expected. The way it was phrased, and the wry smile on Ben's face, gave me the impression that "no one to match your sister" meant more than beauty, but the poise and grace of a queen of old that he felt lacking in the women around him. At least, I felt that I could fool myself into thinking that, which in a moving lacking in subtlety I really appreciated.

I agree with you. I actually liked the way they presented that. I don't like Suspian--I do think it was extra in PC, but I didn't mind this teensy teensy mention in VDT. It was ok--it would have been perfect if the RD/Caspian love story had a bit more depth (not necessarily length, but depth) to it. Like that, it was ok.
sig by Sheroo of Stormness Head
Member of the Dragon club. PM Narnia Girl or FFJ to join.
RL sibling to De_De and wild rose
Narnian_Archer
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Trufflehunter » Dec 12, 2010 11:07 am

I particularly enjoyed the scene before the battle with the sea serpent, and the venturing into Dark Island where Caspian told Edmund that he thinks of him as a brother. It was really touching, and it really got to me! :((
"I'm a beast I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on. I say great good will come of it... And we beasts remember, even if Dwarfs forget, that Narnia was never right except when a son of Adam was King." -Trufflehunter
Trufflehunter
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby aslanscountry » Dec 12, 2010 6:43 pm

After 2 viewings, I decide that he's indeed more relaxed and confident than in PC, as it should be. I don't think he's great or anything though...there're some scenes that can be improved more, but when he's on, he's ON (i.e. conflict with Ed in Goldwater Island, the End of the World scene --> it's so subtle and yet so poignant I nearly cried). And he has really nice comic moments with Eustace. I wish he'd showed more affection toward Eustace though...the only indication of their friendship is the small exchange in the end of the movie and that can pose a bit of a problem for SC where Eustace claims Caspian as a dear friend.
You'll come back when they call you
No need to say goodbye
aslanscountry
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby PrincessMia241 » Dec 13, 2010 10:17 am

Honestly, even the scene talking about Susan was handled better than I expected. The way it was phrased, and the wry smile on Ben's face, gave me the impression that "no one to match your sister" meant more than beauty, but the poise and grace of a queen of old that he felt lacking in the women around him.

YES YES YES!! Exactly! Thumbs up :)

Loved Caspian. Loved loved loved him. Not in a fangurl way. He was just awesome. The lack of the accent helped, having a beard/hair pulled back made him look older and more in charge. Very happy with him.
avy by narniagirl90
PrincessMia241
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby AslanIsOnTheMove » Dec 13, 2010 11:03 am

aslanscountry wrote: I wish he'd showed more affection toward Eustace though...the only indication of their friendship is the small exchange in the end of the movie and that can pose a bit of a problem for SC where Eustace claims Caspian as a dear friend.

Well, I don't remember every detail from the book but from what I remember there's nothing in the book VDT to suggest they were friends. I think by adding the exchange at the end they added more to that particular relationship than was in the book.

I was a bit confused when I read SC and just assumed there was more to the story than was included in the book. You know things between the lines. Because from reading VDT I never got the impression that Caspian and Eustace were good friends or anything. I mean I knew they weren't enemies but I didn't feel they were close friends. Then suddenly in SC, Euctace is the king's man and there had better not be any plots against the king, because they were friends and they'd sailed all the way to the end of the world together.

In the book I kind of felt like Eustace's complete loyalty to Caspian came from nowhere but if you think about it, it does make sense. I think they could've spent more time on the friendship, but spending little time on it was more like the book.
AslanIsOnTheMove
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Cymru » Dec 13, 2010 2:00 pm

I did not like the announcement that Caspian would lose the accent just because of the consistency factor, but it really is soooo much better and more Narnian to hear the real Ben Barnes. Thumbs up. I mean, on consistency it could be worse. In the original Star Wars, Princess Leia starts with a British accent and drops it about halfway through.
That is part of the beauty of all literature. You discover that your longings are universal longings, that you're not lonely and isolated from anyone. You belong. ~ F.Scott Fitzgerald
Cymru
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Dec 13, 2010 2:13 pm

huge thumbs up to Ben! he really stepped it up in this film and he nailed Caspian! so cool! :D
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby lysander » Dec 13, 2010 4:33 pm

For me, Barnes once again faded into the background a bit in this film, although not to the extent he did in Prince Caspian. Whether this is due to his acting or to the screenplay, I do not know. :-\

Of course, nothing is ever going to beat Sam West stomping into Gumpas' council chamber in the BBC version, resplendent in golden armor and looking like he stepped right out of one of Pauline Baynes' illustrations. Every boy then wanted to be King Caspian when he grew up. :D
~~~~~
"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it."
~~~~~
lysander
Moderator Emeritus

Postby aslanscountry » Dec 13, 2010 6:35 pm

lysander wrote:For me, Barnes once again faded into the background a bit in this film, although not to the extent he did in Prince Caspian. Whether this is due to his acting or to the screenplay, I do not know. :-\

Of course, nothing is ever going to beat Sam West stomping into Gumpas' council chamber in the BBC version, resplendent in golden armor and looking like he stepped right out of one of Pauline Baynes' illustrations. Every boy then wanted to be King Caspian when he grew up. :D
Blame it again on the movie's poor script #-o I'm sure Ben will have more chance to shine if the Lone Island's scene is done like in the BBC version. Not saying that there shouldn't be a kickass fighting scene, but surely they can merge the two.....
You'll come back when they call you
No need to say goodbye
aslanscountry
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby tenthofthatname » Dec 14, 2010 3:50 am

I loved Caspian's more confident and less temperamental demeanor in VDT, that convinced me of his older age much more than the beard did :D Yet he still managed to feel youthful by delivering some humorous remarks and having a wonderful smile around Lucy and Edmund. But I also wish there'd been more between Eustace and Caspian too, primarily because they're fairly teary when it's time to part ways. In the book I think it's Caspian who gives Eustace a sword to fight with. If there was any possibility of SC in sight I think this would definitely be a huge shortcoming to VDT, the lack of set up for Eustace's closeness to Caspian. Remember he was too scared to see Caspian old and frail? In my opinion that says a lot about them as friends.
tenthofthatname
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby WickedDreamer » Dec 14, 2010 3:55 am

So sorry for this random question, I have not read the books, but just wanted to know how old Caspian was in VDT?

Thanks in advance

By lover of narnia
WickedDreamer
NarniaWeb Regular

PreviousNext