This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

First American Printing Narnia Series

Stuff to fill your Wardrobe!

Moderator: Meltintalle

First American Printing Narnia Series

Postby QueenSusanJ316 » Sep 07, 2010 6:26 am

I recently bought the following books, Lion,Witch, and the Wardrobe, Prince Caspian, Dawn Treader, Silver Chair, The Horse and His Boy, The Magician's Nephew. They are the first American printing, and I was wondering if anyone knows how much these are worth? If this is in the wrong part of the forum, moderators wil you tell me where to put this? :)
Thanks you guys!
I just realized I am not sure what printing they are, but they have these dates in them, LWW (copyright 1950),PC (copyright 1951),VODT(copyright 1952),SC (copyright 1953),HB (copyright 1954),MN(copyright 1955). These are the only dates in them. They have different pictures imprinted on the front. They are hardcover.
PM me if you would like be part of a Lion Party in the state of New York!
QueenSusanJ316
NarniaWeb Nut

Re: First American Printing Narnia Series

Postby Reepi » Oct 07, 2010 12:26 pm

Oh my, how much did you pay for them :-o
Reepi
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Griffle » Oct 08, 2010 2:06 am

Well Copyright dates and printing dates aren't the same.

You should check the printers key, which is a line of numbers found on the copyright page. If it starts with a "1", then that should indicate that it's the first printing, a first edition book to a collector.

The Chronicles of Narnia have been released in a number of box sets and releases over the years though and the first print run of each of those are in a sense first editions.

I'm not an expert, and I have no idea what a set of books of first American prints might be worth, but if I were to guess, then I'd say that it's the first editions of the books released in the UK that are worth a lot of money. To be perfectly sure though, you should probably contact someone who knows a bit more about this, that can help you out.

I do know this though: Prior to the release of the first american prints/editions Lewis made a number of changes to the books. When HarperCollins took over publication of the series in 1994, they used the British editions for all subsequent editions worldwide. So, if the books that you have really are the first american printings, then they're at least worth more than all later printings. Who knows, they might be worth quite a lot?

Check the printers key though.

EDIT: I've done some research and as it turns out, first american print/editions of the books are QUITE valuable. I managed to find two sellers, one selling a complete set for US $4.000.00 and another selling a complete set for US $6.000.00. However, these are in really good condition and are sold as complete sets. You're missing The Last Battle from what I understand, that could have an impact on worth. We're talking several thousand dollars worth of books though.

Lucky you!
THIS HOPELESSLY OUT OF DATE SIGNATURE IS SPONSORED BY LAZINESS TM
Griffle
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby americangirlemmie » Oct 18, 2010 1:40 pm

I found a VotDt copyright 1970. Anyone know how much it is worth?
Co-founder - NW for HP & The Missing Club
americangirlemmie
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby QueenSusanJ316 » Nov 02, 2010 4:39 pm

Ok, I will tell you how much I paid. A dollar for them all. :)

lww, 98; pc,98; vodt 987; sc 987;hb98; mn 987 I am not sure what these numbers mean, but I found them on the page with the date.
QueenSusanJ316
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Reepi » Nov 06, 2010 12:30 pm

To be able to evaluate them, you should upload photos of the copyright ;)
Reepi
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby QueenSusanJ316 » Nov 06, 2010 5:28 pm

Ok, I will try to do that later.
QueenSusanJ316
NarniaWeb Nut