This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Video games

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Video games

Postby Queen Swanwhite » Oct 05, 2009 6:40 pm

I'm playing Diablo I on the PC... my husband still has it from years ago when it was new, hehe... I've heard the newer Diablos are good, too.

Shadowlander wrote:KotoR I was a really great game but KotoR II was kind of...almost good. I think the developers got a little lazy towards the end because the ending is really confusing and anti-climactic. If you can find a copy of the first game it's great fun though!

That's funny, 'cause everyone else I've talked with thinks KotOR II was way better than KotOR I... I'll definitely at some point give KotOR I a try after I finish II, but II is what I have at the moment. Maybe I'll tell my brother to come visit and bring KotOR I with him. ;)

Shadowlander wrote:I absolutely love Bioshock and found that to be a deep and immersive game filled with a ton of theme. It's not quite as scary as it's spiritual predecessor System Shock 2, but you'll have a moment or two where you may jump out of your seat. Play it at night with the lights off for added effect!

Hahaha... this is me we're talking about so, there'll probably be more than a few moments when I scream... It's very easy for the line between reality and imagination to become blurred at best, and I had a difficult time not freaking out (huge fear of heights) while battling Darth Maul in Lego Star Wars, so... this'll be interesting. However, I'm told it's based around a dystopian society, and I adore dystopias (1984, Brave New World, Fahrenheit 451, etc.), so I think it'll be fun, regardless!

Shadowlander wrote:I haven't touched a Prince of Persia game since...oh, 1991? =)) So I can make no comments there.

LOL! My husband mainly got the 360 because of the new Prince of Persia game... he has two others for the regular xbox, but I don't know how old they are. He really wants me to play them... I think they may be his favourite games.

Shadowlander wrote:Is this all on X-Box 360 or are you playing some of these on the PC? If you are playing some on the PC (notably Diablo) then might I recommend picking up a copy of Titan Quest? It takes the same Diablo/Diablo II style setup but all of the action takes place in ancient Greece and Egypt and you get to outfit yourself like a Spartan. :D

Nope. KotOR II is on the original Xbox. Most of our games are for that, as we've had it longer than the 360. Prince of Persia, Lego Star Wars, Mass Effect, BioShock and Ghosts of Acon (or whatever it is) are our 360 games.

I'm willing to try some stuff on the PC, but depending on the game, it may need to wait until I have a better computer (which will occur next summer after my hubby graduates law school). My current one is rather sucky... I couldn't even run LotR:O on it. I'll take a look after I finish Diablo, though! :D
...understanding is a three-edged sword...
NW Sis of Susan Pevensie!
Queen Swanwhite
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Oct 05, 2009 6:44 pm

QueenSwanwhite, you're in The Guild? As in the web series with the beautiful Felicia Day? Very cool. Did you play an extra or were you a major player?

Regarding Bioshock. I have mixed feelings about the game. I love the premise and the art direction, the story - that's all very good. But the game play is a bit standard and sometimes it feels as if the creators added more and more blood just to remind us that we're in a chaotic, hellish failed 'utopia'. Granted I'm only 2/3rds of the way through but those were my thoughts.
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby Queen Swanwhite » Oct 05, 2009 7:32 pm

W4J - Yups! As in an extra. In the first two episodes of S3, look for the gal in the pink hoodie. ;) Felicia is amazing. She's so sweet and laid back and down to earth... I *loved* working with her. Everyone on set who I spoke with was really awesome, even Wil Wheaton (yes, from Star Trek). The only "Guildie" I didn't get to talk with at all was Tinkerbella.
...understanding is a three-edged sword...
NW Sis of Susan Pevensie!
Queen Swanwhite
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Shadowlander » Oct 05, 2009 9:35 pm

QS, Diablo I is fun but like I said, pretty dated, so I don't blame you if the experience isn't top notch. Even back in the day the solo game was kind of lackluster. If your computer isn't up to specs you should easily be able to handle Diablo II and its expansion as they were both designed to work on computers circa 1999-2000. Go ahead and skip Titan Quest unless your computer is less than 3 years old. Mine is 3 and has a really good video card and even I can't run the game at full strength. Still, even with a few of the hi-res options turned off it runs pretty good. :)

W4J wrote:Regarding Bioshock. I have mixed feelings about the game. I love the premise and the art direction, the story - that's all very good. But the game play is a bit standard and sometimes it feels as if the creators added more and more blood just to remind us that we're in a chaotic, hellish failed 'utopia'. Granted I'm only 2/3rds of the way through but those were my thoughts.

The storyline is excellent in Bioshock, and the art deco style is out of this world. Everything is drawn from stock 1940's fashion and art deco and it's really something to see. I don't totally agree with your review of it but I will admit that the game really hits its peak at Fort Frolic. The "plot twist" when meeting Ryan for the first time was a humdinger to me, although the Atlas subtheme I was kind of expecting since they used almost the same exact plot device in System Shock 2. I really didn't care for Apollo Square...it was just a shambles and there really wasn't much to see there that didn't already look like the rest of the area. I did like the ending though, although I thought they could have extended it a bit. I think they drew inspiration for the storyline more from Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged rather than 1984, although the two novels are quite similar in some respects. In fact the character Atlas' name is directly drawn from the title of that book and most of Ryan's ideology is almost carbon copied from it.

QS, you may want to give Elder Scrolls: Oblivion a look. It's a very fun game with a good story and a heckuva lot of depth to it and lots of options for how you want to play. :)
Kennel Keeper of Fenris Ulf

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby Bookwyrm » Oct 05, 2009 9:36 pm

I prefer KotOR II even though the ending was pretty lame. They'd done such a good job of building up a good story, even taking time to come up with in-story explanations for game mechanics, and then they totally dropped the ball at the end. Everything from the moment Kreia goes evil is just plain weird and sloppy. And they cut the part of the game in which HK-47 tracks down the factory manufacturing the HK-50s. That really disappointed me. :(

@TheGeneral: I haven't even gotten near the Moria content yet. I'm still working on Angmar and the Misty Mountains.
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus
Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby fantasia » Oct 07, 2009 1:08 pm

My brother came down for the weekend and we played Ultimate Alliance 2 on XBox 360 all weekend. That is a fun game :D I haven't found a game that I liked that much since I quit World of Warcraft. :)) I played Storm, she didn't hit too hard, but was a good crowd control character. :)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Shadowlander » Oct 07, 2009 1:26 pm

Why are you leaving WoW, FanKit? The expansion next month is supposed to be a humdinger....

- Flying mounts now allowed over all of Azeroth and Kalimdor
- After a cataclysm of some type the landscape in recognized spots in Kalimdor and the Eastern Kingdoms are drastically changed
- New classes: Worgen for the Alliance and Goblins for the Horde
- Revamped dungeon levels....imagine running through Deadmines but with a level 80 setting
- Character level upped to 85

Goodness, this is the time to start playing, not stop! :D

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby Bookwyrm » Oct 07, 2009 4:23 pm

Ultimate Alliance 2 looks good enough to make me wish I had a platform and I've been pretty content with only having a PC. It looks pretty awesome.

Counting the days until December 1st. The Siege of Mirkwood expansion for LotRO launches that day. :D
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus
Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby FencerforJesus » Oct 07, 2009 4:29 pm

I've been enjoying Bejeweled Blitz on Facebook as they revamped the game. The game runs a lot smoother and there is a new power jewel. Not only that, they added a 'Last Hurrah' at the end of the game in which every special jewel gives you bonus points. Twice today alone I broke 200k for my best runs ever. Those scores are in the top 0.7% of all scores.
Be watching for the release of my spiritual warfare novel under a new title: "Call to Arms" by OakTara Publishing. A sequel (title TBD) will shortly follow.
FencerforJesus
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby TheGeneral » Oct 07, 2009 8:47 pm

Queen Swanwhite wrote:W4J - Yups! As in an extra. In the first two episodes of S3, look for the gal in the pink hoodie. ;) Felicia is amazing. She's so sweet and laid back and down to earth... I *loved* working with her. Everyone on set who I spoke with was really awesome, even Wil Wheaton (yes, from Star Trek). The only "Guildie" I didn't get to talk with at all was Tinkerbella.

That's pretty awesome B-)
TheGeneral
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Oct 07, 2009 9:09 pm

Queen Swanwhite, I watched the episodes again and noticed you. Very cool!
I'm glad the cast treated you well and that you enjoyed working with Felicia Day. How similar are the actors/actresses to their characters? :D
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby IloveFauns » Oct 07, 2009 10:21 pm

whats you favorite video game characters my top 5are

1. yoshi
2. link
3. koopa
4. mario
5. tails
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Oct 07, 2009 11:01 pm

Garrett (the Thief stealth series)
Cate Archer (No One Lives Forever 1 and 2)
The Postman (Psychonauts)
Toad (the Mario games)
GLaDOS (Portal - Half-Life 2 mod)
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby IloveFauns » Oct 08, 2009 1:05 am

The only one i know of them is toad. I always hated toads turnpike in Mario kart 64(that's why toad doesn't make my list).
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby FencerforJesus » Oct 08, 2009 6:41 am

My favorite playable characters (not necessarily in order)

Link (Zelda)
Chrono (Chrono Trigger)
Lloyd (Tales of Symphonia)
Cloud (FF VII)
Zidane (FF IX)

My favorite non-playable characters

Larsa (FF XII)
Colin (Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Beatrix (FF IX)
Cyrus (Chrono Trigger)
Cid (FF IX)
Be watching for the release of my spiritual warfare novel under a new title: "Call to Arms" by OakTara Publishing. A sequel (title TBD) will shortly follow.
FencerforJesus
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Shadowlander » Oct 08, 2009 2:30 pm

W4J, I'm glad there's more than one of us who has played Half Life 2. :D Portal was one of the most inventive games I've come across in a rather long time. And GlaDOS was something else, wasn't she?

The cake is a lie!

EDIT: To build upon the earlier "Top 5" thing...

Top 5 Playable Characters and in no particular order...

1. Gordon Freeman (Half Life and Half Life 2)
2. Captain Zelnick (Star Control II)
3. Browning, the Level 80 Dwarf Hunter (World of Warcraft...yes it's my character :p )
4. The Vault Dweller/Chosen One - Fallout 1 & 2 respectively
5. BJ Blazkowicz - Wolfenstein series

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

PreviousNext