This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The Lamp post

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

The Lamp post

Postby Maenad » Jun 27, 2010 4:52 pm

If this isn't the best place for this topic, feel free to move it. But I thought folks here might be interested in seeing this.

I'm currently studying abroad in Worcester, England. We took a hike through the Malvern Hills today, and down in the town is a church. Outside this church is a lamp post. According to our professor and local talk, one winter day, C.S. Lewis left the church and saw this lamp post surrounded by falling snow.

We all know the rest.

I had to be Lucy-like for a moment...
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e316/miss_rowan/Malvern%20Hike/Malvernhike076.jpg

It was a very cool thing to think about.
Maenad
NarniaWeb Regular

Re: The Lamp post

Postby MountainFireflower » Jun 27, 2010 7:53 pm

Wow...this is so amazing. It looks almost exactly like the lamppost in the movie. I wonder if that is a coincidence, or if they did that on purpose?

It's so neat to think about what it must have looked like all snowy and magical... and how that one object supposedly sparked one of the most meaningful books of all time.

These are very cool pictures. Thank you so much for sharing! :D
av by dot
MountainFireflower
Moderator Emeritus

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Jun 28, 2010 6:08 am

I wouldn't go so far as to say that that particular lamppost sparked one of the most meaningful books of our time. Jack was inspired to write LWW from a dream that he'd had since he was a teenager. It was an image of a faun carrying an umbrella and parcels in a snowy wood, and he first had the dream when he was 16. When he was forty, he decided to turn it into a story, but didn't quite know how to turn it into one, but then Aslan came bounding in, although he was never sure why. Once that happened, the story sort of flowed out of him, with the inspiration to write more books coming later.

Now perhaps this inspired the idea for him to place a lamppost in the middle of a wood, although I have always thought of it's presence as more of a symbolic structure. That even in the darkness of the forrest (as it's always dark in the woods), and even in the deepest pit of an enchanted winter, there's always a light. There's always a ray of hope, even in the darkest of times. This theme is reiterated throughout the Chronicles, and illustrates Jack's deep personal faith in his God.
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby DamselJillPole » Jun 29, 2010 11:52 pm

Those are beautiful pictures! No wonder why CS Lewis got very inspired by this lamppost. :) :ymapplause:
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby sandyentersNarnia » Jun 30, 2010 2:00 am

Wow! Unbelievable! I am now jealous of you seeing the lamp post. :(

"Two sides of the same coin"
sandyentersNarnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Jun 30, 2010 1:46 pm

oh wow! that's so cool! I wish I could see it in person! :D
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby sandyentersNarnia » Jul 01, 2010 6:44 am

me too Libb! Just because of that lamp post CS Lewis created a masterpiece!!! :ymapplause:

"Two sides of the same coin"
sandyentersNarnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Aravis Narnia » Jul 02, 2010 2:14 pm

Very pretty!

I miss the lamp posts in my old complex- they kind of looked like the Narnia one. The ones in my current complex have round covers- they are nice and work well with the complex's architecture, but do not look like THE Lamp Post at all.
Aravis Narnia
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Boy Scout » Jul 07, 2010 6:08 pm

That is a nice lamp post. We just bought a lamp post :) from my nieghbor who had an estae sale. We still need to put up... I always played Narnia with it when I first read the books! :D
Packers=13 time Wrold Champs!

I'm not inactive, I'm just very, very, busy.
Boy Scout
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Pyxis » Jul 15, 2010 1:42 pm

Wow, that's a nice lamppost. I especially like the gold bits. Speaking of lampposts, I'd always wanted one in the front yard of my house, so that when the snow fell I could pretend to be Lucy. :)
When I first read LWW, I really liked the idea of something as ordinary as a lamppost standing in the middle of a forest. I just thought it was cool. And I liked the backstory behind why it was there, after reading MN.
http://sixlittlecurlyfries.blogspot.com A collaborative blog written by me and my five friends.

aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Pyxis
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Katana » Oct 24, 2010 12:28 pm

On of the great symbols of Narnia :)

-Katana
Im not inactive just very very busy
-Katana, Member of the Midnight Society, Weapons afficionado of the castle of Ivory&Gold, esteemed owner of a flying pickle
Katana
NarniaWeb Nut

Location: Sitting on a sunny windowsill in the back hallway reading a book

Postby coracle » Oct 24, 2010 1:17 pm

Old style British gas lampposts were fairly standard.

Being an English colony my city has one that stands outside a Gentlemens's Club, and after the city's piped gas supply was closed down about 30 years ago, this club arranged to supply gas to the lamp. (This is New Zealand, not Britain)
I took a photo of it while looking around the city 2 weeks after the earthquake.
P9180971.JPG
P9180971.JPG (153.59 KiB) Viewed 9825 times
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie