This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Pilgrims of the Middle Way

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Pilgrims of the Middle Way

Postby starkat » Oct 14, 2010 5:13 am

A rough, narrow track leadeth between tussocks of tall coarse grass. To the right lieth an ancient, hoary Monastery from whence cometh the sound of an eerie chant. To the left lieth the bustling Spoiler Guild Hall with a constant traffic of pictures, clips, articles, and tracks.

But the Pilgrims of the Order of the Middle Way of Serendipity departeth neither to the right nor to the left. They do instead journey onward in steady peace and serenity toward the Blessed Day, straying not from their ordinary path, yet stooping to caress such treasures as chance casteth by their way. No twain of the Order are alike in their method of journey; some hasten along with hands in pockets, giving only the barest of glances to the cheery baubles they encounter, while others travelleth in leisure and pause often to look and marvel.

And so, dear Pilgrims, no vow is required to belong to this blessed Order, except this-- to thine own self be true. In this Path, however, thou mayest explain thy reasons for looking or not at those things which come thy way.

Translation: If you are neither completely eschewing Dawn Treader spoilers, nor reading/looking at/listening to everything you can find, what is your rationale for your decision?

If thou choosest to share thine treasures which thou shalt find upon thy path, please post not visibly in this thread anything that twould disturb the journey of another.

Instead, thou mayest post links here, with a proper warning as to the "level" of thine spoiler. In keeping with the Mission and Purpose of the Order of the Pilgrims of the Middle Way of Serendipity, I shalt introduce the Spoiler Ranking System:

Level 1: If you have a pulse and you've been on Narniaweb (or in a theater) in the past few months, you've already seen this. Examples: The teaser trailer, pictures that were released months ago.

Level 2: Newly released, but it does not really give away anything we haven't gotten from Level 1 spoilers. Examples: New pictures that aren't too different from what we've already seen, articles about the movie that don't give away plot points.

Level 3: Newly released "minor spoilers" that show how something looks or give away a minor plot point, but don't give away major elements of the movie. Examples: New pictures that show something we haven't previously seen but knew would be in there, articles that reveal minor plot points.

Level 4: Newly released "major spoilers" that give away dialogue, plot points, or other aspects of the movie. Examples: Soundtrack clips, new video clips, pictures that reveal something we didn't previously know.
Please specify both the Level of your spoiler and the medium (still picture, video, audio, article, etc.).

If thou choosest to mention something that might be an "spoiler" to another,

Please put it in such an spoiler box as this.

And now, dearest Pilgrims, have a safe and pleasant journey. I shalt see the upon the Blessed Day as we resort together to the Place of Enlightenment, also known as the neighborhood movie emporium. :)

(The opening of this thread is courtesy of BERNINBUSH who wrote the opening for Prince Caspian. I updated it a little for Dawn Treader.)
starkat

Re: Pilgrims of the Middle Way

Postby ForeverFan » Oct 14, 2010 7:26 am

It is with great joy and feeling that I welcome the opening of this haven of peace and serendipity. I am a newcomer to the ranks of those who have chosen the middle way, as I admit with much sadness that for the last movie I was a member of the Spoiled Rotten Empire. With the passage of time and the increase of wisdom I have learned that the pathway of the middle be-ith the easiest one for me to now traverse. I hope that I shall be allowed to enter these ranks, even tho' in my past I was a member of one of the other sides?

As to why I have chosen this path, it is simply because I wish not to be in such great knowledge of the plot of VDT as I was of PC, therefore deriving greater enjoyment, I do so humbly think. I look forward the journey along this path with fellow like minded compatriots, willing to know a little that should happen along our way, but not to seeketh out such information that would indeed spoil us badly.
[center]Dear days of old, with the faces in the firelight,
Kind folks of old, you come again no more.
(Robert Louis Stevenson)
ForeverFan
NarniaWeb Zealot
Keeper of Thursdays (BC), Retired

Postby starkat » Oct 14, 2010 7:31 am

Welcome ForeverFan! We welcome members of both sides here! As a moderator and a newsposter, I cannot avoid spoilers, but I can avoid knowing all. Hence my reason for being a pilgrim of the middle way. Welcome to my fellow pilgrim!

(I'm not very good at the more flowery language so I will probably end up somewhere in the middle on that.)
starkat

Postby ForeverFan » Oct 14, 2010 7:39 am

Thank you for such assurances, starkat! They are indeed welcome! Yes yes, tis true, we can avoid some, and that which we can, we should attempth to do.

I am not the best at such language either (although I dare say it would be rather amusing to be so, consistently). The important thing to attain is clarity of thought and speech, even if the presentation and application may be a little rough at times, would you not agree?
(Robert Louis Stevenson)
ForeverFan
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby starkat » Oct 14, 2010 8:07 am

Aye. Clarity of thought is always good. I am glad our predecessors wrote out such a detailed level of warning for spoilers. Tis very clear and good to have on hand.

I do not wish to be Spoiled Rotten due to Prince Caspian. I did not get pulled into the story until the 5th time I watched it. I hope to avoid that this time and enjoy the movie completely when I sit in theaters for the first time.
starkat

Postby Narnian_Dreamer » Oct 14, 2010 10:07 pm

I am too a new comer! I did not take part in the last film's plot spoiler groups at all! I have joined this path as I would like to watch the movie with new surprises and not already knowing what will happen next!
~ N.Dreamer <3

Sig/Avatar made by the awesome opposom Eustace+Jill!! :)
Check the gate, Watch yourself! Check the gate, show m' what ya got! And check! :) Love it Skandar and Georgie!
Narnian_Dreamer
NarniaWeb Regular

Location: Sitting at the Dancing Lawn, waiting for the fawns to come out again!

Postby ForeverFan » Oct 15, 2010 7:26 am

Welcome, welcome, to the Camp of Those of the Middle Way, Narnian_Dreamer! You are a welcome addition to our gathering, let us hope that more see the wisdom of joining us and do so!

Starkat wrote:I do not wish to be Spoiled Rotten due to Prince Caspian. I did not get pulled into the story until the 5th time I watched it. I hope to avoid that this time and enjoy the movie completely when I sit in theaters for the first time.

Aye, what a misfortune to not be able to really enjoy the story until the fifth viewing... for myself, upon looking back, I see how much I knew ahead of time about major plot details, and I realised that if I would not want to know that much about almost any other book or movie plot, why shouldst I want to know that much about Narnia? Twill make the journey much more sweeter to know less.
(Robert Louis Stevenson)
ForeverFan
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby wolfloversk » Oct 15, 2010 8:45 am

Hooray! There is a middle way! At last this wolf can rest in peace knowing that she can get just enough spoilers to quench her thirst, but not so much as to give every line away. :D
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby FencerforJesus » Oct 15, 2010 9:05 am

Pilgrims of the Middle Way, tis I, FencerforJesus, High Knight of the Order of the Spoiler Free Monastery. Our hallowed walls are open to all who seek refuge from the Spoiler and ye Pilgrims art welcome to rest from thine travels within our walls. Please remember that within the walls, there art those who seeketh to remain completely Spoiler Free so we requesteth that thou not posteth any Spoilers even in the glorious Spoiler Box so thou not tempteth those seeking a pure mind before the viewing of the glorious film.

Thou art free to enter and leave as thou pleases. But please remember that if the tempations of the Spoiled Rotten Empire are becoming too much, thou hast a place of refuge at the Spoiler Free Monastery. May ye travels be safe.
Be watching for the release of my spiritual warfare novel under a new title: "Call to Arms" by OakTara Publishing. A sequel (title TBD) will shortly follow.
FencerforJesus
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby starkat » Oct 15, 2010 9:11 am

Welcome to all who have joined us here in our fair camp! We have room for all!

Welcome High Knight! Thank you for informing us of the opening of the Monastery! Tis good to see your doors open again! If any of your members dare to step foot in here, we will do our best to keep everything in spoiler boxes as to not spoil those who wish not to be. Safe travels!
starkat

Postby De_De » Oct 15, 2010 11:10 am

I'm sorry that I don't use fancy launguage, but I'm a bit confused :-\
What is this thread all about. I tried reading your post starkat, but I got lost :(. Can someone help me :ymblushing:
Founder of the Exploring Narnia Club (PM me to join)
Member of the Dragon Club
De_De
NarniaWeb Guru
The Sunny Vitamin D (BC, retired)

Location: exploring Narnia with Frodo and Lady Courage (and a bunch of great NarniaWebbers) in Obi's spaceship

Postby starkat » Oct 15, 2010 11:25 am

No worries, DeDe. I'm not very good at it either.

Basically we have three threads. One is for people who don't want to read any info whatsoever on the new movie. One is for people who like to read/watch every single scrap of info they can get their hands on. This thread is for people in between.

Take me for instance, I can't avoid spoilers because I am a newsposter and a casting moderator. I can limit myself though to just the outlines. That way there will be some surprises or at least some things I don't know when I watch the movie for the first time.
starkat

Postby ForeverFan » Oct 16, 2010 11:18 am

Welcome to our humble gathering, wolfloversk! It is pleasing to see another one join our way of the middle!

So, a question I have, and here put forth. Exactly what sort of discussion is allowed in this place for Those of the Middle Way? Are we allowed only to contemplate and ruminate on the path we have chosen and all that it ensues, or is some deviance away from that topic allowed? (In other words, is okay if we go off topic, or not? I remember last time around with PC, in the Spoiled Rotten Empire thread, we got off topic and didn't stay talking just about PC spoilers. Soooo...I'm wondering if that was allowed, or not allowed, and etc. Thank you!)
(Robert Louis Stevenson)
ForeverFan
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby MountainFireflower » Oct 16, 2010 11:25 am

*dashes over from the Evil Lair*

I don't mean to tempt you, but you know how Aslan is a lion? Well, I actually don't have any new information on that, but I thought I'd give you a little scare. :p Also, I can't wait to see Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

I dare not convert to the Middle Way because I enjoy spoilers way too much!

...Are you still reading this?

This is a completely spoiler-free post. ;)
av by dot
MountainFireflower
Moderator Emeritus

Postby starkat » Oct 16, 2010 11:30 am

Fellow Pilgrim, we are allowed great latitude in our discussion. We may even discuss spoilers as long as we enclose them in spoiler boxes as well as indicate how spoilerish they may be.

*puts out a table of good old fashioned pizza and bar-b-q for her fellow pilgrims to share*

A good example of a level 1 spoiler would be Isn't the ship just wonderful! I love the fact that they got it so right!
starkat

Postby Pyxis » Oct 16, 2010 5:13 pm

This seems like a nice place to stay. :)
Neutrality has always appealed to me. I do like spoilers, but I don't really look for them. If a few come my way, I'll enjoy them, but I don't think I want to be spoiled rotten. And I can't spend the entire time going out of my way to avoid them.
So I think I'll like it here.
http://sixlittlecurlyfries.blogspot.com A collaborative blog written by me and my five friends.

aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Pyxis
NarniaWeb Nut

Next