This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The Television Discussion Thread

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: The Television Discussion Thread

Postby stargazer » Sep 28, 2009 6:19 pm

I caught the premiere of FlashForward online this weekend, and agree with your assessment, Warrior. It's an intriguing concept and sets up the discussion of free will vs fate very well. A few other random observations:

I caught a few sight gags advertising other ABC shows: an ad on a passing bus for Desperate Housewives, and more cleverly, a prominently-placed billboard for LOST's Oceanic Airlines (during the FBI stakeout early in the show).

Another possible nod to LOST was the very beginning, where a main character gains consciousness and is disoriented, having already experienced some disaster which sets up the series, with later flashbacks to explain what's happened.

I'm curious to see what will happen next.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sep 28, 2009 6:27 pm

I saw the LOST parallels too, very cool!

The kangaroo struck me as strange. I've seen many in my short life time (being an Aussie and all) but to have one just hoping around Los Angeles is pretty random. Maybe it escaped from a nearby zoo of something (very I Am Legend if you ask me).
It was fun finding how all the characters we've been introduced to, are connected in one way or another. Did Ralph Fienes play Martin Luther in the most Luther movie?
I'm definitely intrigued. Roll on next Monday!

By the way, I love your signature. What anime is that from?
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby starkat » Sep 28, 2009 6:36 pm

I've finally formed an opinion on Robin Hood season 3.

Not as good as the first two, but not bad for now. I've only seen three episodes so far. Should be interesting to see what happens next.
starkat

Postby stargazer » Sep 28, 2009 6:38 pm

That reminds me...the FlashForward character Olivia Benford is played by Sonya Walger - familiar to Losties as Penny Widmore.

And you're correct: Fienes (Mark Benford) was Luther in the latest film.

I enjoy seeing how the characters are all related, as has been done with LOST.

(My signature is from a flashback sequence in the Avatar: The Last Airbender episode "The Firebending Masters").
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sep 28, 2009 6:42 pm

Ah, cool. Thanks for the confirmation, mate.
Yes, I'm liking Sonya Walger's character already and Ralph Fienes. They have a few issues in their marriage though, don't they?

Your signature is from Avatar:The Last Airbender? Interesting. I haven't seen the series but it looks quite good. I'll have to check it out sometime. Silly me, I thought it was a reinterpretation of Miyazaki's Princess Mononoke with giant tanuki creatures or something. :D
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby Gandalfs Beard » Sep 28, 2009 7:51 pm

I bet it's nothing compared to the Free Will vs Fate debate on Narniaweb's Christianity thread W4J ;) .

I thought the premiere of Flash Forward was intriguing too. I liked most of the characters so far.

GB (%)
"Absence of Evidence is not Evidence of Absence" -- Carl Sagan
Gandalfs Beard
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Kate » Sep 29, 2009 12:29 pm

starkat: My opinion of Robin Hood season 3 is that it is bad. ;)) I greatly dislike Isabella and miss Djaq and Will.

Anyone catch Heroes last night? What do you think of Emma? My first reaction was: Another hero!? Why? But I like her. It's cool that she's deaf and her power is very visually pretty. Peter should be able to see sounds now too right? Is he still only absorbing one at a time or is he back to keeping an arsenal? Do you think she's a love interest for Peter? She looks older than him, but they work together and they both have powers.
Kate
Moderator Emeritus
DJ Mod

Postby Valiant_Lucy » Sep 29, 2009 2:15 pm

I just watched the first episode of Flash Forward online. I'm super excited about this, I think it's really going to be a good show. The main thing I was confused about was, according to imdb, Dominic Monaghan stars in the first episode. But he wasn't in it...unless he's the guy in the trench coat at the end. hmm....
"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." Marilyn Monroe
Valiant_Lucy
Moderator Emeritus
The IMAR&NB mod

Postby Shadowlander » Oct 01, 2009 5:38 pm

Not so much to do with a TV show per se, but rather this regards those Weight Watchers commercials with the little red fuzzy monster (that sort of looks like Gossamer from the old Warner Bros. cartoons). It's hard to be dislike the little guy when he looks so sad and dejected. I feel like hugging him and telling him I'll take the french fries. ;)
Kennel Keeper of Fenris Ulf

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby Gandalfs Beard » Oct 01, 2009 7:56 pm

Aaaaargh, Don't mention French Fries Shadow, or I'll have to meet you on the new food thread =)) (there is a new food thread isn't there?).

I've been losing a lot of weight and starting to actually look fit. I don't want to have to deny that little Weight Watchers Dude :( . He does look an awful lot like Gossamer doesn't he.

GB (%)
Gandalfs Beard
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby stargazer » Oct 01, 2009 8:01 pm

I enjoyed tonight's new episode of FlashForward. It would have been difficult to match the drama and impact of that pilot episode, but it was still good. They're starting to develop the various plot threads opened in the premiere.
stargazer

Postby Bookwyrm » Oct 02, 2009 11:06 pm

So did anyone else catch the premier of Stargate Universe? I only got to see the last hour, but it was pretty good. If they can keep churning out episodes like that, it just might be the best Stargate series yet.
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus
Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby Gandalfs Beard » Oct 02, 2009 11:44 pm

I DVR'd it to watch tomorrow night Booky. But I saw a few minutes of it here and there. It looks like they took the Stargate...uhmmm...Universe :| , and gave it a Battlestar Galactica makeover. I definitely liked what I saw, and I am looking forward to zapping the commercials and seeing it all in one piece tomorrow :D .

GB (%)
Gandalfs Beard
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Queen Swanwhite » Oct 03, 2009 11:25 pm

Well, I'm watching Castle and loving it to pieces. Watching Dollhouse and hating myself for wasting my time, but I keep hoping that Joss Whedon will do something right, seeing as he did so well with his other shows... Wishful thinking, I think, though...

Waiting rather impatiently for January, because LOST is the best thing, EVER. Also need to get caught up in Supernatural... just started Season 2.

My comedies are great... How I Met Your Mother, The Office, and 30 Rock...

Oh, and Glee... watching that, too. I think that's everything. For now... ^_^

Can't wait 'til Monday, though, because more Castle and HIMYM makes for an awesomely happy evening... :D
...understanding is a three-edged sword...
NW Sis of Susan Pevensie!
Queen Swanwhite
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Gandalfs Beard » Oct 03, 2009 11:53 pm

I agree that Castle is a fun show. But I don't see Dollhouse as wasting your time. I think it's a lot more "real" than Castle. This weeks episode of Dollhouse was terribly sad, and really highlighted everything that is Evil about the Rossum corporation and what all their Brainwashing is doing. And the way Topher and Adelle justify themselves is just twisted (they really seem to "believe" they are doing good works). I think Joss Whedon has created another truly significant show that explores what it really means to be human.

As good as Castle is, it has yet to hold a candle to the emotional depth, and the intricate plotting of Dollhouse. Castle has some great dialogue, good Humour and acting, but the stories are still trivial and totally predictable within the first 10 minutes of each episode. Which is fine, I just watch the show for the characters anyway, and it's nice to watch something that isn't an emotional Roller-coaster.

GB
Gandalfs Beard
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Oct 04, 2009 12:00 am

I've been watching the first season of Pushing Daisies (first time). I'm up to episode 8 of 9 and so far it's very good (although admittedly the first 5 episodes are the best). I've never seen anything like it, although it does seem to have the narration style of A Series of Unfortunate Events, the art direction and zany characters and romance of romance of Jean Jeunet (Amelie, City of Lost Children, Delicatessen) and Tim Burton, the crime drama of any number of of prime-time dramas, and thematically it's similar to a really light-hearted and quirky version of Six Feet Under. It also has a healthy dose of Roald Dahl.
Very enjoyable and very, very different.
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

PreviousNext