This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The Original Book Covers

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Re: The Original Book Covers

Postby Dimitris » Mar 30, 2020 7:53 am

Note that the current greek covers are the common covers we already know. The original covers I think are very rare. I can't even find a pic on the internet! I was lucky and found them in a used bookstore οnly for 30 € the whole package. The spines have been numbered chronologically.

The plates were designed by the Greek painter Νina Stamatiou.

For the orig greek covers click here.
Dimitris
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Mar 30, 2020 5:33 pm

Wow, you were very lucky to find those originals in a used bookstore, Dimitris! They look like they're in great condition, too. They must be super rare indeed because I've definitely never seen that cover art before. I really like how colorful they are and how many scenes they show from each book. I'm also having fun trying to read the Greek blurbs. ;)) I think my favorites are The Voyage of the Dawn Treader and The Horse and His Boy.
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Dimitris » Apr 01, 2020 4:00 am

The Rose-Tree Dryad wrote:I think my favorites are The Voyage of the Dawn Treader and The Horse and His Boy.

I love all the covers. But my least favorites are the first two covers. For the first one, the best cover is definitely something similar to the cover of the first edition and for the second one, something like that.
Dimitris
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Wanderer Between Worlds » Apr 01, 2020 6:14 am

These book covers are beautiful, Dimitris! I think that I like The Lion, the Witch, and The Wardrobe, The Horse and His Boy, and The Silver Chair covers the best. :) I wish that the American covers had multiple scenes from the books. I did have another question. Song, book, and movie titles that are translated to another language and then back into English can be different. Do the Greek book titles meant anything different when literally translated back to English?
"I am,” said Aslan. "But there I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name. This was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.”
Wanderer Between Worlds
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Dimitris » Apr 01, 2020 12:58 pm

Hi Wanderer! I agree with you. These covers are beautiful :)

Wanderer Between Worlds wrote:.. that are translated to another language and then back into English can be different...

Please excuse me for asking but I didn't understand what did you mean by this. You mean a reverse translation? But why someone have to do that? :Ρ I I haven't seen it.

Wanderer Between Worlds wrote:Do the Greek book titles meant anything different when literally translated back to English?
The Greek titles are accurate translations from the original. The only variance is found to the VDT. The exact translation (from the Greek title) is "The Τraveler of the Dawn".
Dimitris
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Wanderer Between Worlds » Apr 01, 2020 2:28 pm

Dimitris wrote:Please excuse me for asking but I didn't understand what did you mean by this. You mean a reverse translation? But why someone have to do that? :Ρ I haven't seen it...The Greek titles are accurate translations from the original. The only variance is found to the VDT. The exact translation (from the Greek title) is "The Τraveler of the Dawn".

I know people usually don't reverse translate, but it is so interesting to me how another language might choose to phrase and translate an idea or sentence. I'm very interested by the fact that words in other languages can have so much meaning behind them that is lost in translation. For example (please correct me if I'm wrong), I believe that there were multiple words for "love" in Ancient Greek. C.S. Lewis writes about four of them in his book The Four Loves. However, in English, there is only the word "love." There are other related words, but I do not think there is a single word in English that captures the depth of meaning behind a word like agapē, one of the "loves" that Lewis talks about in his book. :)

I think that the titles The Voyage of the Dawn Treader and The Traveler of the Dawn both relate to the story, but they seem to place emphasis on different parts of the book. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader seems to focus more on the journey while The Traveler of the Dawn seems to be personifying the ship. I like them both!

I hope my explanations make sense :D

--Wanderer
"I am,” said Aslan. "But there I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name. This was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.”
Wanderer Between Worlds
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Col Klink » Apr 01, 2020 5:03 pm

Well, The Voyage of the Traveler of the Dawn doesn't roll off the tongue when its in English. ;)) Maybe it still could have in Greek.
For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen
Col Klink
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Apr 01, 2020 5:46 pm

Dimitris wrote:I love all the covers. But my least favorites are the first two covers. For the first one, the best cover is definitely something similar to the cover of the first edition and for the second one, something like that.

Ooh, I like the one you linked! It really emphasizes the mystery of the lamp-post in the wood. :)

Col Klink wrote:Well, The Voyage of the Traveler of the Dawn doesn't roll off the tongue when its in English. ;)) Maybe it still could have in Greek.

I think it's actually just The Traveler of the Dawn, or The Voyager of the Dawn. If somehow all of the original English copies of Narnia were lost and forgotten by humanity, but the Greek translations of the books still existed (what a strange apocalyptic scenario ;))), my guess is that title would probably have been translated back into English as the The Dawn Voyager or The Dawn Traveler.
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Courtenay » Apr 02, 2020 1:31 am

I was just thinking, "Dawn Traveller" or "Dawn Voyager" as the name of the ship would probably make more sense in other languages than "Dawn Treader". I've always taken the "Treader" part to mean someone or something that walks fearlessly and intrepidly and purposefully (though it's an odd thing to think of a ship as "treading" anywhere!), but it could also sound like one who stomps or tramples. So possibly there isn't a really close equivalent word in Greek and probably other languages, and the translators chose "Dawn Traveller" as the best-sounding option.

This is giving me the thought that we could have a specific thread about translations of the Narnia books in other languages... is it OK if I start one? :)
"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed." (Prince Caspian)
Courtenay
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Wanderer Between Worlds » Apr 02, 2020 8:32 am

Courtenay wrote: This is giving me the thought that we could have a specific thread about translations of the Narnia books in other languages... is it OK if I start one? :)

I think that's a wonderful idea, Courtenay! I would love to explore other language translations. According to The Lion's Call, Narnia has been translated into forty-six languages. :)
Wanderer Between Worlds
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Apr 02, 2020 8:48 am

Courtenay wrote:This is giving me the thought that we could have a specific thread about translations of the Narnia books in other languages... is it OK if I start one?

That would be great! Please do. :D I was about to suggest just that thing, before we find ourselves "treading" too far off-topic with this fun rabbit trail. ;))

On the topic of the original English covers... do you guys have a favorite among those? I really like The Last Battle, even though it's definitely a strangely peaceful picture for a book with the word battle in the title! I know you and Col Klink both found that puzzling, Courtenay, but I find myself wondering if perhaps the contrast is intentional, like the contrast between first two thirds and the last third of the book.
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Dimitris » Apr 02, 2020 10:51 am

off topic:

Wanderer Between Worlds wrote:I'm very interested by the fact that words in other languages can have so much meaning behind them that is lost in translation.

So do I! :)

Wanderer Between Worlds wrote:For example (please correct me if I'm wrong), I believe that there were multiple words for "love" in Ancient Greek. C.S. Lewis writes about four of them in his book The Four Loves. However, in English, there is only the word "love." There are other related words, but I do not think there is a single word in English that captures the depth of meaning behind a word like agapē, one of the "loves" that Lewis talks about in his book. :)

Words don't make meanings (which result from human intelligence),but meanings create the words. (I am talking friendly. Hope you didn't get offended!).

As about the four words that Lewis wrote, I suppose you mean the words: Storge/Philios/Eros/Agape. These four words, do not mean precisely "love" but they talk about love in a broad sense.

Storge [storghi): Ι can easily understand that is the greek word "στοργή". We are using this word even today. Στοργή=affection
Philios: This is not a common word in modern Greek. It's "Φίλιος" and means "friendship".
Eros: I think there is not an english word about eros. We call it : Έρωτας" and it has to do about passion/romantic. Είμαι ερωτευμένος με μια κοπέλα (=I am in loved with a girl).
Agape: [Aghapi]=love (=αγάπη).

Νοte that even a long standing language like Greek, many words changes meaning. In ancient Greek, for "love" they didn't use the word "agape" but "φιλώ" [philo]. In modern Greek, philo = kiss (φιλί). Τhe "kiss" in ancient Greek was "ασπάζομαι" [aspazome] and it have simillar meaning as the "embrace".

I only want to say that the true "depth of meaning" isn't hidden in the (conventionally made) soulles words, but in the heart and mind. I am pretty sure that my "Greek" love, expressed in the same way as your "English" love! :)

If you want more info about the Greek language, check this out. Note that C.S Lewis knew only the Greek language of hellenistic period (koine) and medieval , and not the older periods (Attic etc). The New Testament was written in koine.

I hope that makes sense!

I apologize for the off topic.

Wanderer Between Worlds wrote:I hope my explanations make sense :D

Οf course! No problem! :)

Col Klink wrote:Maybe it still could have in Greek.
Ιn Greek sounds very nice! :)

The Rose-Tree Dryad wrote:It really emphasizes the mystery of the lamp-post in the wood. :)
Indeed!

Courtenay wrote:This is giving me the thought that we could have a specific thread about translations of the Narnia books in other languages... is it OK if I start one? :)

It sounds very interesting!
Dimitris
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Apr 03, 2020 8:22 pm

Mod note: Courtenay's thread Narnia in Translation is up and running! Please continue any discussion about translations there. :)

Back on the topic of book covers...

Wanderer Between Worlds shared an amazing resource in the above-linked thread with information about Narnia translations, along with dozens and dozens of Narnia cover art from around the world! I've only had a chance to browse a few countries' worth, but there are so many that are interesting to look at.

(To make the the pictures of the covers bigger when browsing the site, you'll need to right-click with your mouse and select "View image".)

I quite like this Afrikaans edition of Prince Caspian, especially Caspian's armor.

The picture is small, but I love Jill in the foreground drawing back her bow in this Bulgarian edition of The Last Battle.

Look at this gorgeous cover of a traditional Chinese edition of The Magician's Nephew! I've never imagined the rings having gems like that.

I really like this Korean version of The Silver Chair! The style reminds me of 70s/80s Sci-Fi posters a bit, and you can really see Rilian's despair.

Very neat stuff! So fun to see how people around the world first experienced Narnia, if they judged the book by its cover. :)
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Courtenay » Apr 04, 2020 1:57 am

Wow, those are amazing! Thanks so much, Wanderer Between Worlds, for sharing that link — that's exactly the sort of thing I was hoping to find when searching for more info about Narnia translations online, but somehow I missed it!

I also especially love the Chinese cover for The Magician's Nephew — I agree, interesting that they've pictured the rings with stones, rather than the whole ring being green or yellow (which is how I imagine them). It's also just fascinating to see Narnia portrayed in a different culture's style of artwork! I bought a miniature painted fan a few months ago that has a scene from The Horse and His Boy in a similar style (photos here) — I'd love to have that Magician's Nephew cover art as a poster to go with it! :)

Just been looking at the Hebrew covers and there are some interesting ones there, too, although they don't all quite seem to fit the stories themselves — this edition of The Last Battle looks something like Animal Farm gone wrong!! :-o But this one for Prince Caspian is nicely done, although it also doesn't really portray any scene from the story (and looks more like somewhere in Calormen than Narnia).
"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed." (Prince Caspian)
Courtenay
NarniaWeb Junkie

Previous