This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Food mentioned in the books

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Re: Food mentioned in the books

Postby waggawerewolf27 » May 29, 2019 5:04 pm

aileth wrote:
DiGs wrote:Apparently there are a lot of different varieties of gooseberries.

I've only ever seen the green ones; in my mind, they are always associated with red and black currants, probably because ours are planted in the same spot, and ripen at approximately the same time.

Quite nice, if they're really, REALLY ripe, translucent and almost golden, otherwise they are mouth-puckeringly tart. And in a dessert with a bit of sugar and cream and custard--mmmm!

Maybe because I rarely, if ever, see them in the supermarkets or in the greengrocers. I did try those green ones in stargazer's pictures something like 55 years ago, but never tried them since. Kiwi fruit & Kiwi berries are far more popular here. (Now I wonder why that might be?) Stargazer, I did like the look of the gooseberry fool, though. More delicious clotted fresh cream than custard. :) =p~ :ymdaydream:
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Varnafinde » Jun 05, 2019 1:40 pm

Gooseberries grow in Norway, too - at least a greenish variety. I like the jam, not so keen on just the berries.

Kiwi fruit is quite popular in Norway, but is only imported, I think. I guess they started importing it some 30 or 40 years ago, and I don't think they grow it in hothouses here (I don't even know if it's possible to grow it like that). I really like the taste.
(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)
Varnafinde
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jun 05, 2019 10:58 pm

Varnafinde wrote:Kiwi fruit is quite popular in Norway, but is only imported, I think. I guess they started importing it some 30 or 40 years ago, and I don't think they grow it in hothouses here (I don't even know if it's possible to grow it like that). I really like the taste.

Hothouses may not be altogether necessary, since Southern New Zealand is about the same latitudes, or further south than is the Australian state of Tasmania. (The reason why fellow Aussies call Tasmanians, Taswegians. ;) :D) When I was young what we now call Kiwi fruit was actually called Chinese gooseberries, & to boost sales from New Zealander suppliers, I think, they were rechristened Kiwi fruit. Kiwis of course are New Zealand's national birds, & we call New Zealanders as a whole the Kiwis, just as we are called the Aussies, & our football teams the Wallabies & the Kangaroos etc. We have just as much rivalry with NZ over pavlova, a delicious dessert with nice fluffy insides & crispy brown meringue -like outsides, often decorated with whipped or clotted cream, chocolate, berries, other fruits like peaches, apricots, passionfruit pulp, bananas & yes, kiwi fruit slices.

That is why I thought fools must be something like Pavlovas (named here after a Russian ballerina, Anna Pavlova, who toured both Australia & New Zealand many moons ago to dance for us Antipodeans (Monopods, Dufflepuds?). Though Stargazer's photos make a gooseberry fool look delicious enough. It looks more like a gorgeously inviting parfait, or what in Harry Potter books I learned was a Knickerbocker glory, or something called in England "Eton mess" to tell the truth.

I expected though that some of the fish eg Pavenders mentioned by C.S.Lewis, in VDT & in other books might have invented names as well to fit into his story better.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Grandmama » Jun 10, 2019 6:47 pm

waggawerewolf27 wrote:
We have just as much rivalry with NZ over pavlova, a delicious dessert with nice fluffy insides & crispy brown meringue -like outsides, often decorated with whipped or clotted cream, chocolate, berries, other fruits like peaches, apricots, passionfruit pulp, bananas & yes, kiwi fruit slices.

Sounds delicious!
"I suppose the sewing machine's too heavy to bring?. . . I can't abide the thought of that Witch fiddling with it. . ."
Grandmama
NarniaWeb Nut

Previous