This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Digorys tree

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Digorys tree

Postby Sir Edmond the just » Jan 05, 2019 6:56 am

I was wandering what happened to the tree dogory planted that was suppose to not let Jadis pass.
“Awake. Love. Think. Speak. Be walking trees. Be talking beasts. Be divine waters.”
― C.S. Lewis, The Magician's Nephew
Sir Edmond the just
NarniaWeb Regular

Re: Digorys tree

Postby Col Klink » Jan 05, 2019 2:25 pm

The books don't say. But my theory is eventually the Narnians neglected it or even forgot its purpose and used it for kindling.
For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen
Col Klink
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Jan 06, 2019 12:45 pm

Nothing lasts forever - that is a common theme throughout the Narnia books. My guess is that eventually it just grew old and died. Perhaps fell down in a storm much like the tree in our world.
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby coracle » Jan 06, 2019 2:47 pm

The impression is that it stood for a long time and protected Narnia, but eventually Jadis got in, so its power must have waned.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby puddleglum32 » Jan 31, 2019 10:14 pm

I do not know how accurate this article is, but on the WikiNarnia page, it states that tree kept Narnia safe for 898 years. I personally do not ever remember seeing a number like that. Like others have stated I believed that the tree just ended up dying or being chopped down as I don't think Aslan intended the tree to protect Narnia forever. I will link the website down below.
https://narnia.fandom.com/wiki/Tree_of_Youth

Founder of the Switchfoot Club.
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Check it out on the Talk About Narnia forum!
puddleglum32
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby fledge1 » Feb 01, 2019 7:31 am

I just assumed it either died or something. Didnt Aslan say that as long as the tree was there Narnia would be protected or did I make this up in my mind. However, something obviously happened to it. Something to think about while bored at work today!!
I believe in Christianity as I believe in the sun: not only because I see it, but by it I see everything else. -C.S. Lewis
fledge1
NarniaWeb Nut