This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Mythology of Dufflepuds

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Mythology of Dufflepuds

Postby fantasia » Oct 25, 2018 6:58 pm

I always thought Lewis made up the race of Dufflepuds. Except I ran across this gem while I was doing a homeschool history lesson with my kiddos.

So does anybody know anything about the history/mythology of the dufflepuds?
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Re: Mythology of Dufflepuds

Postby Stylteralmaldo » Nov 02, 2018 5:40 pm

Apparently the origins go back to Ancient Greece with Aristophanes play The Birds way back in 414 BC. Pliny the Elder (23ad - 79ad) describes them:

He [Ctesias] speaks also of another race of men, who are known as Monocoli, who have only one leg, but are able to leap with surprising agility. The same people are also called Sciapodae, because they are in the habit of lying on their backs, during the time of the extreme heat, and protect themselves from the sun by the shade of their feet.

Source:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopod_(creature)

My nickname emoji: :@)

...Let us leave the elementary doctrine of Christ and go on to maturity,...with instruction about ablutions, the laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead, and eternal judgment. (Hebrews 6:1-2)
Stylteralmaldo
Moderator Emeritus
Royal Bloodlines Guru

Re: Mythology of Dufflepuds

Postby Cleander » Feb 14, 2019 10:50 am

There was also an island off the coast of Ireland reputed to be inhabited by one-legged, one-armed men. They were eventually wiped out by some adventuring mythological hero.
PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Find it on the Talk About Narnia Forum!
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie