This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Eustace as dragon or human? Which one is more interesting?

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

which do you like better?

Human Eustace
80%
Dragon Eustace
20%

Total votes : 5

Eustace as dragon or human? Which one is more interesting?

Postby AnimalOfNarnia » Sep 06, 2013 10:49 pm

Pretty much what it says on the tin. ;)
|
AnimalOfNarnia
NarniaWeb Regular

Re: Human Eustace or Dragon Eustace?

Postby jewel » May 07, 2014 11:39 am

That's a good question. Probably as a boy though. Humanity is higher than dragons.
jewel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby aileth » Jul 12, 2014 11:10 pm

Have to admit to a sneaking liking for Human Eustace, even before he changed. Though he was much better after the undragoning. What I like the best about him afterward was that he didn't instantly become better. He still had to struggle with his inclinations and prejudices. But the improvement was noticeable, and the only one who didn't like it was poor Aunt Alberta.
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub

Postby Meltintalle » Jul 17, 2014 2:39 pm

There's a lot to be said about how useful Eustace was as a dragon, and how that changed his perspective on life, but he was fundamentally a human boy and being a dragon didn't suit him. He probably wasn't even the sort of person who ever fantasized about being something other than a human. ;))

So I'd have to vote for human Eustace, post-un-dragoning.
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 17, 2014 9:23 pm

Human Eustace, but it was really fascinating to see him transform as a character when he was trapped in the dragon-skin. It's probably one of the most interesting and powerful Eustace-centric moments in the entire series. It's the first time he reaches out for help: from his family, shipmates and from Aslan himself. I also love how Reepicheep would talk to him. Even so, however, he was miserable in this form. I'll take post-undragoning Eustace any day, while also recognizing that the experiences he had while a dragon were what put him on the path to become the character that we know, love and admire.
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad