This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Narnian Ships

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Narnian Ships

Postby wolfloversk » Jan 03, 2011 1:38 pm

Remember in the opening pages of VDT when Lu and Ed notice how Narnian the ship in the painting looks? Well this brings up a good question, just what did Narnian ships look like?

The Dawn Treader- Well we all know this one. Dragon head for a prow, the tail coming of the back (stern, right?) the wings along the sides. Purple sails.

The Splendour Hyaline- in the last page of Ch 8 in PC, this ship is described as having a swan's head at the prow, swan's wings along both sides. "great stern lanterns." In VDT I believe it's also said that the Dawn Treader isn't as majestic as the ships from the golden age, including this one.

So it appears as though animals and creatures are a basis in the design of Narnian ships.

Another question I have, did Caspian use the Dawn Treader in SC? Or was it a different ship altogether?
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Re: Narnian Ships

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Jan 03, 2011 2:01 pm

If we're to go off of the Pauline Baynes illustration, then we have to assume that it was a different ship entirely. The ship that Baynes gives us looks more like a ship that one would expect to see in a medieval navy, in that it is compact, practical, and sensible.
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby SilverSea » Jan 03, 2011 7:04 pm

I think all Narnian ships were based off of the same concept: winged animals at the prow with their wings along the side, and a large single sail with only one colour.
SilverSea
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby wolfloversk » Jan 03, 2011 7:42 pm

SilverSea, I'm not so sure about single sail, in PC it says that the Splendour Hyaline had "silken sails." It uses sails plural not singular. I do think however that the ships during Caspian's reign were smaller, and therefore required less sails than those in the golden age. I could be wrong though.
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby DamselJillPole » Jan 12, 2011 12:34 am

I agree with SilverSea (that rhymed) :D

I assume it has something to do with the same concept of any animal.
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic