This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Averge Narnian Lifetime Expectancy

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Averge Narnian Lifetime Expectancy

Postby -centaur- » Dec 31, 2010 3:27 pm

I was wondering how long centaurs, fauns, and other Narnian creatures lived on average. I don't think the answer is ever explicitly addressed in the chronicles, but three instances by which we might draw conclusions come to mind.

1) In the Last Battle, Roonwit comments that "we centaurs live longer than humans, and even longer than unicorns." By this, we can reasonably assume that humans live lives about as long as Earth humans, but that unicorns live longer, and centaurs live much longer.

2) It is stated that Dryads live as long as their tree.

3) Mr. Tumnus gives us many hints. He vividly remembers Narnia in the summer, specifically the dances with the Dryads. Now, we know that the winter has lasted for one hundred years.
Tumnus is now 100 years old.
We will now assume that fauns started dancing when they came of age (this is never stated in the chronicles, but we will assume ;) ). Let us say that coming of age is marked at 16. He has turned 116. But to remember everything, even Bacchus, he has obviously had many experiences. Let's say four years worth. 120.
Now, at the end of LWW, maybe 20 years since we first met him, it says that Mr. Tumnus "was a middle-aged faun by now.."
So at the approx. age of 140, a faun is middle-aged.

But are there any more hints as to how long a Narnian would live? Let me know! :D
-centaur-
NarniaWeb Nut

Re: Averge Narnian Lifetime Expectancy

Postby Valiant » Jan 01, 2011 9:19 am

Maybe it depends on the species. Like Fauns might live longer than other creatures. I think humans live the same age there as here.
Signature by daughter of the King; Avatar by Adeona

Keeper of the Secret Magic
Valiant
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Lucy of Narnia » Jan 01, 2011 3:24 pm

Or was the "middle-aged" thing on of Mr. Lewis' oversights? He did make a few. I love his work, but he did. :)
Avy by me, siggy by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
You suck a lollipop, and you sing a song. Get it right, Jo!
Lucy of Narnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Radagast of Mirkwood » Jan 02, 2011 9:51 am

Another inference that I think we can make is that the Talking Animals lived longer then their dumb counterparts. For example a Mouse usually would live about 3-5 years max. (Taken from google) But Reepicheep obviously has lived much longer then that.
Protector of the Birds and Beasts of Middle Earth.
Radagast of Mirkwood
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby moo25 » Jan 02, 2011 3:16 pm

I picked up on the 100 year lifespan of Mr Tumnus, but you never know, it might be plausible. I've always gathered that Talking Animals live longer than their Earth counter-parts, but that's interesting about the Centaurs.
That's some interesting working about Mr Tumnus' age...he would be pretty old at middle aged, wouldn't he? :p
I stand with the Lord at my side, always.
For Narnia and the North!
Be the change you want to see in the world.

moo25
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby ChristProclamer » Jan 07, 2011 2:07 pm

I don't think we can conclusively state Mr. Tumnus' age. It has been suggested by others that during the 100 Year's Winter, all things stopped growing...even the people. Therefore, it's possible Mr. Tumnus was X number of years when the winter started and didn't age any after a hundred years. When the Pevensie's reign began, he started aging again. There's no proof for that, but neither is there proof against it.

Animals, I should think live slightly longer than their dumb counterparts.

Humans, I think likve to be around 60. Caspian was described as an old man at his mid-60s, and that would be pretty consistent with a medeival mindset. I know that threw me off when I first read SC; I'd forgot that in that time, people didn't usually live to be 90. :p
ChristProclamer
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Lilygloves » Jan 18, 2011 9:40 am

It would make sense that talking animals would live longer than our animals. After all, they are much smarter and can take care of themselves a lot better. Their knowledge is key. For example, if a mouse had a broken tail, what could they do about it? They wouldn't know what to do and can't talk or get help from anyone. On the other hand, Reepicheep was able to explain that he needed his tail and all and Aslan healed it.
Lilygloves
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Boy Scout » Apr 27, 2011 5:24 pm

Lilygloves wrote:It would make sense that talking animals would live longer than our animals. After all, they are much smarter and can take care of themselves a lot better. Their knowledge is key. For example, if a mouse had a broken tail, what could they do about it? They wouldn't know what to do and can't talk or get help from anyone. On the other hand, Reepicheep was able to explain that he needed his tail and all and Aslan healed it.

That would be true. I had also thought that there where some kind of Doctors, or vets for the talking animals. Maybe of theer own kind, maybe not.
Packers=13 time Wrold Champs!

I'm not inactive, I'm just very, very, busy.
Boy Scout
NarniaWeb Junkie