This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Favorite Book (and book rankings)

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Which of these awesome books is just a bit more awesome than the rest?

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (LWW)
11%
Prince Caspian (PC)
4%
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (VDT)
24%
The Silver Chair (SC)
14%
The Horse and His Boy (HHB)
20%
The Magician's Nephew (MN)
12%
The Last Battle (LB)
15%

Total votes : 185

Re: Favorite Book (and book rankings)

Postby ArcherForAslan » Sep 08, 2009 2:47 pm

1. LB
2. HHB
3. SC
4. VDT
5. MN
6. LWW
7. PC

I'm not quite certain what puts LB above the rest as the one I like the most because there really isn't one particular thing. I really like Tirian, Jewel, and Puzzle, three of our new characters introduced in this book, and the return of Jill and Eustace. I also adore the description of Aslan's Country/New Narnia, and the return of many other beloved characters. And quite honestly, I love the bittersweet ending which is a bit of a contrast from the other books. It's sweet because all our beloved character have a happy ending, spending the rest of eternity in the New Narnia, but it's also bitter because Queen Susan isn't there with them. But with that sad part comes a touch of hope because Susan is alive and can still choose to believe in Aslan once again. So yeah, I like the complexity of TLB and it's not-completely-happy-ending.
Avy by Sarah from totallygeorgie.com
ArcherForAslan
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby TheGeneral » Sep 10, 2009 1:14 pm

1. VDT is my favorite, without a doubt. It triggered my imagination to a degree that the others didn't, and there's just something about a journey at sea.

2. SC
3. HHB
4. MN
5. LWW
6. LB
7. PC
TheGeneral
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Narnian1993 » Sep 13, 2009 11:29 am

The Last battle is totally my favorite because it ties up all the the "loose ends" especially with Digory, Polly, and Susan.
1.LB
2.VDT
3.LWW
4.SC
5.HBB
6.PC
7.MN
~You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me.~ C. S. Lewis
Narnian1993
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby GlimGlum » Sep 14, 2009 9:44 pm

My currrent order is:

1. VDT
2. SC
3. HHB
4. PC
5. MN
6. LWW
7. LB

I like them all now, although a couple took time to grow on me. The top 3 I have always been certain of and they are very close together. The last 4 are fairly certain. PC was the first Narnia book I read so that may be why it's #4.

I read LWW after seeing the movie first and that probably took something away from reading the story afterwards. MN is the most touching story to me and this is the first time I have been sure of giving it a rank. LB I appreciate more each time I read it but something has to be #7. :(

So that's it for now. :D
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Postby Lady of the Narnians » Sep 20, 2009 7:49 pm

1.Prince Caspian
2.Horse and his Boy
3.The Lion, the Witch, and the Wordrobe
4.Voyage of the Dawn Treader
5.Migichen's Nephew
6.Last Battle
7.Silver Chair
A Lady of Narnia Always a Lady of Narnia
Lady of the Narnians
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby DOECOG » Sep 25, 2009 7:57 pm

1 PC
2 LB
3 VDT
4 LWW
5 MN
6 SC
7 HHB

It’s hard to pick because they each have something special about them. Prince Caspian was the one I became most engrossed with and it has a lot of my favorite character, Lucy. I ranked The Horse and His Boy last because, although it is a great story, I don’t think it ties into the original story as well as the others.
DOECOG
Daughter Of Eve
Child Of God
How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are... 1 John 3:1
DOECOG
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Dernhelm_of_Rohan » Sep 27, 2009 12:36 pm

1. HHB - I just love the characters in this book. I get the Kings and Queens, Narnians, Calormens, and a not-often mentioned people who are Narnia's allies, the Archenlanders.
2. SC - Love Jill and Eustace; Puddleglum is so lovable, (in a strangely pessimistic way), and I really feel so bad for Rillian!
3. LWW - it's probably the book most people think of when you say "Narnia". With good reason.
4. MN - This is probably the most mystical book, and gives you a sense of escape and freedom.
5. LB - So many characters that I love - can't mention them all... Tirian and Puzzle are tops.
6. VDT - An adventure on the high seas!
7. PC - I love the attitude Peter has towards Caspian, as kind of his succesor.

Founding Keeper of the Secret Magic
Dernhelm_of_Rohan
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby moo25 » Oct 01, 2009 12:52 pm

1. The Silver Chair- I always loved the characters in this book, Jill has always been my favorite character in the series, and everyone has to admit Puddleglum RULES!! I always dread to think what other Marsh Wiggle are like- he'c counted as optimistic!
2. The Voyage Of The Dawn Treader
3. The Lion The Witch And The Wardrobe
4. The Horse And His Boy
5. Prince Caspian
6. The Magician's Nephew
7. The Last Battle
I stand with the Lord at my side, always.
For Narnia and the North!
Be the change you want to see in the world.

moo25
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby lostin1800 » Oct 04, 2009 7:39 am

LB is my first. I just love revelation themes, all the characters are back or referd to. :D
SC is my secound because that is when Jill comes into the Narnia family. :)
LWW is third because Lucy and Ed shine in this story and the easter theme is always wonderful, not to mention Mr. Tumnus! ;)
HHB is third/fourth because I love Shasta, the adventure and liked reading about other lands than just Narnia and Moses' story is 'in' this. B-)
VDT because travelling is interesting,Eustace is introduced.
PC ties with VDT,PC is introdued and new characters that follow through come into the picture too.
MN I liked Polly, Diogry as young children in Victorian London and Uncle Albert and adored the world of charn, the cration story was well done, but the chase was odd for me so it is last.
~...Lostin...~
*We three kings of Orient are; bearing gifts we traverse afar, field and fountain, moor and mountain, following yonder star...*
~Merry Christmas From Lostin1800~
lostin1800
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Aslans Country » Oct 07, 2009 8:19 pm

Wow. That was hard.

It was a choice between VDT and SC. In the end I went for VDT because I've always loved it, whereas when I was younger, I thought SC was really creepy and didn't like it much at all. Also, VDT still has Lucy and Edmund in it who are probably my favourite characters. And I love the way the story plays out.

So my ranking would be:
1. VDT
2. SC - when I read it recently, I loved it and was like, how could I have not loved this book?? :-o Puddleglum is awesome :)
3. LWW - I've read it so much, it was the one where I first discovered Narnia.. it just really is the first book out of seven that has that kind of magic to it.
4. LB - I actually don't mind the first half of it too much, although I agree the first and second parts are kind of separated. And it has the best ending ever. :)
5. PC - Hmm.. I don't hate this book, I just love the others more. I love seeing how Edmund's changed, and the scene where he supports Lucy is one of my favourites.
6. MN - it's always seemed kind of detached from the others. Very different in style, set at a totally different time. It seems like everything happens very fast - the children don't spend very long in Narnia at all. Maybe that's why I don't feel like there's much to it. It has some good parts, though.
7. HHB - same as MN, this one seems very different from the others. I miss the way the children don't come from England.
Avie by flambeau.

"I'm there through your heartache, I'm there in the storm.. I don’t care where you've fallen, where you have been, I'll never forsake you, my love never ends, it never ends."
-Times, Tenth Avenue North
Aslans Country
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Aravis Narnia » Oct 10, 2009 7:57 am

Faves in order:

1) The Horse and His Boy
2) The Magician's Nephew
3) The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
4) The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
5) The Silver Chair
6) The Last Battle
7) Prince Caspian

To be honest, the order gets a bit muddly in the middle. HHB is my absolute favorite, and PC the lowest. MN and VDT go right after HHB, but the order of the two changes. LWW, SC, and LB are in the middle, but it is hard to rank them.
Aravis Narnia
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Sarah » Oct 22, 2009 7:58 am

NM is the best. Story about creation of Narnia... there are some misterious characters and worlds, that's what I like..
Sarah
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby Miss Rosario » Nov 10, 2009 6:18 pm

My favorite book is definitely The Last Battle. I love the powerful climax Lewis brings to the series through this dramatic tale. It is so powerful, so unexpected, and so unlike any of the other stories. The whole atmosphere is entirely different. It is extremely intense and dark, very depressing in some parts, but then at the very end, when almost all hope is nearly gone, a light shines through. Aslan is there at last.

narnian1 wrote:LB is only the last because it's much darker than the rest, it has great moments, but I dislike seeing how Narnia falls, though it had to happen, just having the Calormenes do it irked me, and the dwarfs UGH!

I actually tend to enjoy the darkness of it because it contrasts so greatly with the ending, bringing out the joy and brightness more. ;) Plus, the beloved characters from all seven books are all reunited again.

I also like how Lewis draws out Tirian's absolute faith in Aslan. Even though He appeared to have forgotten them (if He even existed at all), Tirian believed in him to the very end... though all else failed. ;) I find that extremely inspiring.

Pattertwig's Pal wrote:...there is a lot I don’t understand about it.

Hm... but isn't that what makes it so neat? Lewis leaves so much to the imagination. It IS a complex book, and the reader must think... but I find that better than a book where everything is laid out, and you just read it without using your head much. ;)) Every time I read it, I notice something new.

But, anyway. An accurate listing of the books is impossible for me... They all are unique and special in their own way, but... here's my attempt. ;))

1. The Last Battle
2. Voyage of the Dawn Treader
3. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
4. The Silver Chair
5. The Horse and His Boy
6. Prince Caspian
7. The Magician's Nephew
(Numbers 2 and 4 tie, as do 4-6.)
Icon by fireworks123
NW little sister to Windsong
NW twin to Rosie

"I don't run away from a challenge because I am afraid. Instead, I run toward it because the only way to escape fear is to trample it beneath your feet." -Nadia Comaneci
Miss Rosario
NarniaWeb Fanatic
Wandering Welcomer

Postby narnian1 » Nov 11, 2009 11:09 am

Miss Rosario wrote:I actually tend to enjoy the darkness of it because it contrasts so greatly with the ending, bringing out the joy and brightness more. ;) Plus, the beloved characters from all seven books are all reunited again.

I also like how Lewis draws out Tirian's absolute faith in Aslan. Even though He appeared to have forgotten them (if He even existed at all), Tirian believed in him to the very end... though all else failed. ;) I find that extremely inspiring.

I do LOVE that contrast, and Tirian is a favorite of mine because of his faith, no doubt about that. But it's still very hard to enjoy it in the way I enjoyed the others overall.
narnian1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Miss Rosario » Nov 11, 2009 3:45 pm

narnian1 wrote:I do LOVE that contrast, and Tirian is a favorite of mine because of his faith, no doubt about that. But it's still very hard to enjoy it in the way I enjoyed the others overall.

I see what you mean. ;) All the other books are different in some way... more happy, carefree, and magical somehow.
Icon by fireworks123
NW little sister to Windsong
NW twin to Rosie

"I don't run away from a challenge because I am afraid. Instead, I run toward it because the only way to escape fear is to trample it beneath your feet." -Nadia Comaneci
Miss Rosario
NarniaWeb Fanatic
Wandering Welcomer

Postby jlppr » Nov 15, 2009 12:40 pm

my personal favorite is the last battle. although i did enjoy all 7 books there was something different about TLB that just makes me like it even more. and the scene where there in the real narnia and they start introducing characters from the other books was a great touch and when i read that tumnus and the beavers were there as well i actually cried. i had to stop reading to dry out my eyes cuz the words became blurry from the tears. here is my list:

1. The Last Battle
2. Prince Caspian
3. The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe
4. Voyage of the Dawn Treader
5. Horse and His Boy
6. The Silver Chair
7. The Magician's Nephew

they were all great books though
jlppr
NarniaWeb Newbie

PreviousNext