This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Question about the jinn

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Question about the jinn

Postby mojojojo » Jun 17, 2010 12:27 pm

I know Mr.Beaver said the White Witch was descendant from the jinn on her mother's side and giants on her father's side. Now giants good and evil were featured in the Narnia series, but were jinn ever featured? Does lewis say anything else about them? What did he conceive them as being like ,Were they supposed to be wish granting genies? If so is that where the witch got her power from. Was Adam's first wife Lilith supposed to be one or was she the mother of the jinn race. If so who was the father.Were their any good jinn/
mojojojo
NarniaWeb Newbie

Re: Question about the jinn

Postby Reepi » Jun 17, 2010 1:59 pm

Not much is written in the books about the Jinn besides Mr. Beaver saying the Witch is half Jinn. Considering the White witch originates from Charn, it could make sense that Jinns don't really exist in Narnia at all, but in Narnia too are just a mythological species, although the Jinns are probably similar to the mythological Jinns we know.
Reepi
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby daughter of the King » Jun 17, 2010 2:05 pm

I don't recall the Jinn ever appearing in the series, unless there are some among the White Witch's creatures. I don't think he says anything else about them. Yes, they were genies, but not in the modern sense of the word. I'm not entirely certain of their history, but I have been told that the word genie is a variant of the word jinn. Yes, I think it is a good guess that Witch got her powers from the Jinn side of her family tree. The royal family of Charn were all magicians. I think Lilith was only one of the Jinn, but I'm not sure. If you want to know more about Lilith, I suggest reading George MacDonald's Lilith. I think Jadis' father was the ruler of Charn before her.

Hope that helps. :)
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Jun 19, 2010 5:40 am

hmmm.....the only mention I see if jinn in the books is Mr. Beaver's mention of WW being jinn......I don' think it's anywhere else! :D
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby Aravis Narnia » Jun 19, 2010 5:23 pm

Nope, never mentioned again. Just another species living in Narnia. I do not think that Jadis being part jinn automatically makes all jinn evil. It may simply explain her tall stature and long lifespan, among other traits.
Aravis Narnia
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Movie Aristotle » Jun 21, 2010 10:25 am

Actually one species of jinn is mentioned in LWW. They are called Efreets, and as I understand they are a race of fire jinn.

We talk a little bit about them and the rest of the Witch's army in the Narnia & Mythology discussion here:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1316

Personally I assumed that Lilith found her way into Charn and started a race of Jinn there. -Perhaps a race that rivaled the indigenous Giant population.

In the hall of images I felt that when the faces of the Kings and Queens start to turn nasty, that was the point in history when the giants started mixing with the jinn.
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby DamselJillPole » Jun 23, 2010 11:50 pm

I know this sounds crazy but what is a Jinn? Is it described in one of the books?
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Movie Aristotle » Jun 25, 2010 1:41 pm

Jinns are not described in the books. They are actually from Arabian mythology and are closely related to genies. As I understand it, they are like daemons from European mythology, -neutral spirits that would do magic for people if they could enslave one.
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby DamselJillPole » Jun 25, 2010 4:26 pm

I was thinking that Narnia is part of the land that Charn was and that some of the demons that were already in Charn WW resurrected them. I do sort of remember WW calling up things as if if she was calling up souls. What if Jinns were demons in that world?
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Jun 25, 2010 6:23 pm

Narnia is most definitely NOT a part of Charn. They are completely different worlds. Saying such a thing is like saying that Narnia, or Charn is a part of our world. Remember that Charn was destroyed at the end of MN, it therefore couldn't be a part of the Narnian world. That is not to say, however, that the witch couldn't have called up the long dead spirits of her world into another world.
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby daughter of the King » Jun 26, 2010 7:20 am

DamselJillPole wrote:I do sort of remember WW calling up things as if if she was calling up souls.

I couldn't remember the White Witch calling up things, so I went and looked it up. Are you thinking of this part? The wolf has just come and told the Witch that Maugrim is dead and urges her to fly (meaning she should flee, not that she should actually fly away). "No," said the Witch. "There need be no flying. Go quickly. Summon all our people to meet me here as speedily as they can. Call out the giants and the werewolves and the spirits of those trees who are on our side. Call the Ghouls, and the Boggles, the Ogres, and the Minotaurs. Call the Cruels, the Hags, the Specters, and the people of the Toadstools...." LWW Deep Magic from the Dawn of Time
In the BBC the Witch does actually call things up. It's really creepy because she gets this really weird expression on her face and creatures come out of the ground and out of caves and move towards her.
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot