This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Scariest Scene in all 7 books

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Re: Scariest Scene in all 7 books

Postby Dinode » Aug 21, 2010 8:07 am

I'd say dark island, but here's the thing. I've heard that C.S.Lewis rewrote parts of that chapter for a later edition because he felt it wasn't sensitive enough to children's nightmares. Does anyone know if this is true, and if so, what those differences are?
After dark island comes Tash.
Seeking comic book artist, PM for details.
Dinode
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Sheroo of Stormness Head » Aug 30, 2010 3:10 pm

Dinode, Yes, there are differences between the British Publication (the first edition) and the American Publication (the second edition). (I believe, nowadays, only the English version is published. Okay, to show you the differences, I'm going to quote Paul F. Ford's Pocket Companion to Narnia:Dreams~
"It is in VDT...in the experience of the Dark Island, that the subject of dreams becomes most vivid, and Lewis considered this so important that he made several substantial changes in the text between the British and old American editions of the book. After the DAWN TREADER emerges from the darkness, the British edition (now the English edition for the world) says, "all at once everybody realized that there was nothing to be afraid of and never had been. They blinked their eyes and looked about them." In the old American editions, Lewis deletes these two sentences entirely, thinking perhaps that he was making too little of the reality of which the travelers were afraid. He replaces these sentences with one long, beautiful similie, one of the finest he ever wrote...This is a major change: Lewis here is hightlighting the joy of waking after a night of fear. The next change comes by way of an omission. Both editions print the expectation the crew has that the ship will be covered with grime and scum. The British edition goes on to say: "And then first one, and then another, began laughing. 'I reckon we've made pretty good fools of ourselves,' said Rynelf." The old American editions delete both sentences, thereby removing another denigration of the seriousness of night fears. When Caspian asks what boon Lord Rhoop wishes the King to grant, the British edition prints: "'Never to bring me back there,' he said. He pointed aster. They all looked. But they saw only bright blue sea and bright blue sky. The Dark Island and the darkness had disappeared forever. 'Why!' cried Lord Rhoop. 'You have destroyed it.' 'I don't think it was us,' said Lucy." Lewis reconstructs this entirely for the old American editions: "'Never to ask me, nor to let any other ask me, what I have seen during my years on the Dark Island,' 'And easy boon, my Lord,' answered Caspian, and added with a shudder, 'Ask you: I should think not. I would give all my treasure not to hear it.'""
Sorry. Long quote. He just states it all so well.
In my opinion, LB in general holds the scariest scenes, like the whole "Tashland" thing, and Shift, and when Farsight comes and tells Tirian and the rest that Cair Paravel is taken and Tirian replies, "All worlds do come to an end. Narnia is no more." That is pretty heart wrenching...although I guess you could qualify that more as terribly sad than scary. Overall though, I would probably rate Tash to be the scariest thing in Narnia
Sheroo of Stormness Head
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby sandyentersNarnia » Aug 31, 2010 3:31 am

Probably when Edmund betrays his brother and sisters, it really is scary to have a brother who you know you are related by blood then you suddenly knew he tricks you because of his own pride. Well, it really is scary and creepy. *shrugs*

"Two sides of the same coin"
sandyentersNarnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Narnia Girl » Aug 31, 2010 10:28 am

sandyentersnarnia, good point about Edmund. It is kinda creepy!

I think for me, though, the scariest scene was in LB, what with Tash and all. I still get shivers whenever I read it! Besides that, though, I would get really scared at the part in HHB where Aravis and Lasaraleen were hiding behind the couch. That part always creeped me out! I was so afraid that they were going to get caught.
Founder of the Dragon Fan Club - PM me to join!
Team Hoodie!
I've met Michael English!
Avie and sig by theprincessspy.
Narnia Girl
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Dinode » Aug 31, 2010 7:24 pm

Thanks Sheroo of Stormness Head. :)
I wonder which version the movie will end up being like?
Seeking comic book artist, PM for details.
Dinode
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Pyxis » Sep 11, 2010 3:21 pm

Dark Island, like a lot of people. Also, Deathwater always was a bit creepy for me--how they finally figured out how the lord (I don't remember the name right now, sorry) died. Trying to cool off with a nice swim and then getting turned into gold is such an awful way to die.
http://sixlittlecurlyfries.blogspot.com A collaborative blog written by me and my five friends.

aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Pyxis
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Jill_of_Narnia » Sep 15, 2010 12:30 pm

The scariest part for me was definitely in LB when they are thrown into the barn. Anytime Tash is mentioned in the books, really, is very frightening.

Also I was quite on edge in VDT when Lucy is walking down the upstairs hall thinking that magician could be in any room, and that he could hear her. That part really freaked me out!
"The term is over: the holidays have begun. The dream is ended:this is the morning."
     And as He spoke, He no longer looked to them like a lion.
Jill_of_Narnia
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby OakDryad71 » Sep 21, 2010 1:31 pm

The Dufflepuds. Definitely the Dufflepuds. Those things creep me out.
"But there I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name. This was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there."
OakDryad71
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby sandyentersNarnia » Sep 21, 2010 11:54 pm

^Oh yeah! Knowing you can only hear them, and yet you still don't see them, creepy!

P.S. Welcome! :)

sandyentersNarnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Rumpleteasza » Sep 23, 2010 9:34 am

Like many others, I found the Tash scene in LB very disturbing - not only the description of Tash, but the reactions of the characters. Puzzle screaming and scrambling into the tower somehow made it even more freaky, because such extreme reactions from those around you can often make you panic even more in a frightening situation.

A slightly weird one for me was a specific part of Lucy's exploration of Coriakin's house. There's one point when she turns around and catches sight of something horrible in a mirror, before she realises it's herself and the mirror has strange facial features tacked onto it to make the viewer look grisly. I have a... thing... about facial distortion and catching glimpses of nasty things in mirrors, so that really pushed all my buttons.
Rumpleteasza
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby sandyentersNarnia » Sep 24, 2010 12:41 am

^Yeeeah, the second choice was creepy. I can imagine myself in her position while I was reading it.

P.S. Welcome! :ymhug:

sandyentersNarnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby DOECOG » Sep 27, 2010 11:36 pm

There’s a lot of really creepy scenes in the books. Some that come to mind are:

The last battle in LB when they’re slowly getting closer and closer to the stable door. This scene is even worse after Eustace is thrown into the stable. Up until that point I didn’t think the children would really be hurt, that made the scene all the more real.

When Digory and Polly find Charn. That whole dead world part was creepy.

When Shasta is waiting at the tomes. Reading that it was easy to feel scared like him.
DOECOG
Daughter Of Eve
Child Of God
How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are... 1 John 3:1
DOECOG
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby aragorn2 » Sep 28, 2010 7:50 pm

The first half of the Last Battle
aragorn2
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby fledge1 » Sep 29, 2010 7:45 am

If I would have answered this question when I was in High School it would have been the same as GlimGlum. With the first sighting of Tash. But now it is different. And I dont think it was scary to me at all when I was younger. Not as scary as it is so thoughtfully real. The part in Last Battle when they are in the shed, and the ones who do not believe in Aslan, how they are separated from Him completely. I think it shows what hell may be like. I mean yeah we hear about lake of fire and all that, but to me the worst part of that would be completely separated. Not being able to see or hear your best friend, the food you love being like ash, things like that. Just complete alone. Just hate the thought of anyone i love being there. To me, that makes it one of the most scary parts.
I believe in Christianity as I believe in the sun: not only because I see it, but by it I see everything else. -C.S. Lewis
fledge1
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby wild rose » Oct 20, 2010 12:58 pm

fledge1 wrote:The part in Last Battle when they are in the shed, and the ones who do not believe in Aslan, how they are separated from Him completely. I think it shows what hell may be like. I mean yeah we hear about lake of fire and all that, but to me the worst part of that would be completely separated. Not being able to see or hear your best friend, the food you love being like ash, things like that. Just complete alone. Just hate the thought of anyone i love being there. To me, that makes it one of the most scary parts.

Good point, I never thought that before, but now that you mentioned it, it does sound rather scary, and also very unpleasant, *shivers*, very unpleasant

For me the scariest scene would have to be in LB when they see Tash flying over them, my brother was reading the books to us and they way he read that part just set shivers up my spine. I had problems going to sleep after that for a while.
Another part I thought was a bit scary was when Eustace, Jill and Puddleglum go to the underworld (or however that place was called). While my brother was reading I just couldn't sit still from cause I was creeped out :)
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby Valiant » Oct 21, 2010 2:44 pm

I think i was most scarred in LB when the stars all fell and Narnia was destroyed. It was very powerful, seeing the Narnia, land we spent so much time with, being wiped out.
Signature by daughter of the King; Avatar by Adeona

Keeper of the Secret Magic
Valiant
NarniaWeb Guru

PreviousNext