This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Worst title

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Which title do you like the LEAST?

1. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
No votes
2. Prince Caspian
33%
3. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
No votes
4. The Silver Chair
30%
5. The Horse and His Boy
9%
6. The Magician's Nephew
9%
7. The Last Battle
18%

Total votes : 33

Re: Worst title

Postby Arwenel » Jul 07, 2011 10:18 pm

I had a really hard time separating each title from its book, and in the end ... i'm not really sure how much i like any of the titles. ;)) But in the end i voted for (or would it be 'against'?) HHB - it sounds like the title of some book wherein no reasonable person would ever consider "owning" an animal. Not exactly animal rights, but one of those idealized fantasy settings where people get along with each other in a much more enlightened manner than those of us in the real world.

Not sure if that made any sense. ;))

"The Silver Chair" sounds interesting to me, and "The Last Battle" somewhat lame. "Prince Caspian" could stand to be better. "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" is fair. "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" is a decent name, though it sounds more like a history book or something. "The Magician's Nephew" is good, too.
I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind
Some come from above, some come from behind
But I've bought a big bat, I'm all ready you see
Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!
~ Dr. Seuss
Arwenel
NarniaWeb Guru
"We Mistborn need not make sense." (BC)

Postby Aravis Narnia » Jul 10, 2011 11:56 am

The Silver Chair.

The actual chair made of Ag is just a small part of the plot.

Prince Caspian is actually good. He is the protagonist of the book. It fits well.

LWW, HHB, VDT, and LB are very fitting as well.

I do have a bit of a problem problem with MN as well. Digory was not the only one who first went to Narnia- Polly did as well. Granted, Digory was the one who brought back the apple, planted the seed, and had the wardrobe made out of the apple tree. But Polly also goes with him. So I wonder if there could have been a better title. But at least it fits a larger part of the story than SC does.
Aravis Narnia
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby TheGeneral » Jul 15, 2011 3:46 pm

glumPuddle wrote:I voted for LB without hesitation. It's the only title in the series I would call downright lame. That could be the title for countless other stories. (Having a unicorn on the cover doesn't help it stand out either)

I think "The Last King" would have been better. That title would make me curious. Why aren't there going to be anymore kings?

You took the words right outta my mouth, I completely agree! And that's a good suggestion for a title :D
TheGeneral
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Valiant » Jul 18, 2011 7:43 am

I voted for Prince Caspian. I'm not a big fan of having character names be used as titles. Afterall, you probably wouldn't know who that person was before reading the book, so how would such a title draw you in? :p I don't hate it, but I guess it is my least favorite. :)
Signature by daughter of the King; Avatar by Adeona

Keeper of the Secret Magic
Valiant
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby waterkid72 » Jul 18, 2011 10:41 pm

To be fair the "Last Battle" was not that overused by the time Lewis wrote LB. Regarding titles, I feel that the Last Battle is my leats favourite. It somehow gives the idea that the story is about the end of Narnia basically giving away the entire plot. But I suppose that Lweis wanted to be bltantly clear that that was the end of the world.

Speaking of titles, although SC is not very intriguing, the snake coming out of the chair in the newest covers is what intrigued me the most with the title in it. It made me wonder exactly what the snake had to do with the chair setting up the mood for my favourite Narnian adventure.
"Through vigilance and strength we create peace."

I just want to be hidden in the shadows... this silence; this cold.
waterkid72
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby mar_girl » Jul 22, 2011 10:37 pm

I voted for The Silver Chair. It's a wonderful fantasy book title, but I feel it doesn't fit the book very well. The silver chair plays such a minor role in the book. Well, not that minor, but it's there for such a short time. The other title I remember reading that was thought of for this book was something about a march through the wild wastelands or something, which is super boring but at least matches the book's tone much better. I don't know. Maybe something like The Quest for the Missing Prince? Or maybe just The Vanished Prince. Eh. They shouldn't hire me to name books. ;)
After that, my next least favorite title is The Horse and His Boy. I know why it's named that, of course, but it's a bit misleading because then one thinks the story is mainly about the horse when it's really entirely about Shasta.
Sig by lysander
Queen of Literary Linkage
Aslan: the Chuck Norris of Narnia.
mar_girl
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby DamselJillPole » Jul 23, 2011 11:11 pm

I don't know. I love every title but to be picky i'll go with Prince Caspian being the worst because it doesn't star with 'The" like the others. Surprisingly the original title did start with "The"
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby wolfloversk » Jul 25, 2011 10:53 pm

DamselJillPole wrote:I don't know. I love every title but to be picky i'll go with Prince Caspian being the worst because it doesn't star with 'The" like the others. Surprisingly the original title did start with "The"

What was the original title?

Though I've seen HHB refered to as A Horse and His Boy as well as The Horse and His Boy. Not sure if I've seen them both in a book, one might just be a common mistake... I'll go check.
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby PuddleCheep » Jul 27, 2011 12:27 pm

The original title for PC was "The Return to Narnia." I'm so glad they had Prince Caspian as the main title. The other title is so cliche.
PuddleCheep
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Valiant » Aug 03, 2011 5:41 pm

I agree that "Prince Caspian" is better than just "The Return to Narnia." I would prefer if it were more commonly refered to as "Prince Caspian: The Return to Narnia" though. Or something else entirely.
Signature by daughter of the King; Avatar by Adeona

Keeper of the Secret Magic
Valiant
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby wild rose » Aug 14, 2011 1:12 pm

I also agree that it's good Prince Caspian wasn't titled 'The Return To Narnia' I mean it's a really cool title, but I think it sounds a little cheesy and not very original :)
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby De_De » Aug 15, 2011 7:56 am

I voted for, or more like against, The Silver Chair. When reading the book I was sure that the Chair would play a bigger role, and at the end of the book I was like "That's it?". :(
Founder of the Exploring Narnia Club (PM me to join)
Member of the Dragon Club
De_De
NarniaWeb Guru
The Sunny Vitamin D (BC, retired)

Location: exploring Narnia with Frodo and Lady Courage (and a bunch of great NarniaWebbers) in Obi's spaceship

Postby wild rose » Aug 15, 2011 9:24 am

It was the same with me De, I was waiting and waiting for the silver chair, from the title you would really think it plays a big role and at the end I thought that somehow the chair was hardly noticed :)
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Aug 15, 2011 8:52 pm

See, I don't understand that. When I think of The Silver Chair several things come to mind - Puddleglum, the Lady of the Green Kirtle, Jill and yes, the evil silver chair.
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby Lilygloves » Aug 16, 2011 12:51 pm

glumPuddle wrote:I voted for LB without hesitation. It's the only title in the series I would call downright lame. That could be the title for countless other stories. (Having a unicorn on the cover doesn't help it stand out either)

I think "The Last King" would have been better. That title would make me curious. Why aren't there going to be anymore kings?

It can't really be the last king because the seven friends of Narnia were kings and queens there too. And there was King Frank and Queen Helen, not to mention the ultimate king, Alsan.
Lilygloves
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby narnian_at_heart » Aug 27, 2011 3:20 pm

I can't decide. It comes down to PC and LB. LB because I hate the idea of Narnia ending :(( and so have never been a fan of that book. I really don't know why I'm not a fan of PC's title. It's one of my favorite books in the series.
narnian_at_heart
NarniaWeb Guru

PreviousNext