This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Worst title

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Which title do you like the LEAST?

1. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
No votes
2. Prince Caspian
33%
3. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
No votes
4. The Silver Chair
30%
5. The Horse and His Boy
9%
6. The Magician's Nephew
9%
7. The Last Battle
18%

Total votes : 33

Worst title

Postby Glumpuddle » Jun 08, 2011 5:51 am

Which title do you like the least? Why?
What might have been a better title?

Vote for best title here.
YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot
Multimedia Producer, News Poster, Social Media Manager

Re: Worst title

Postby wolfloversk » Jun 08, 2011 10:58 am

Hmmmm..... I'm going to go with PC, although it's made better when the "Return to Narnia" part is put in. But it's just so simple... the rest of them all have either a mysterious quality to them (HHB), or at least awesome wording (LWW) But if the "Return to Narnia" part wasn't dropped, it'd be about even with the others (though it would have one too many of these-> : <- but that's more of personal preference)
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby Glumpuddle » Jun 08, 2011 11:08 am

I voted for LB without hesitation. It's the only title in the series I would call downright lame. That could be the title for countless other stories. (Having a unicorn on the cover doesn't help it stand out either)

I think "The Last King" would have been better. That title would make me curious. Why aren't there going to be anymore kings?
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Jun 08, 2011 11:15 am

I have to go with PC. as much as the title is blunt and tells what the book is about, as do the other titles, Prince Caspian sticks out from the other titles a bit because it's the only one with only a character's name. Lewis could have almost just called the book "Return To Narnia" ;)
but I'm not complaining. it's not a bad title :D :D
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Jun 09, 2011 2:37 am

Prince Caspian. It's not a terrible title, there are much worse but it's rather bland. The Last Battle is very matter-of-fact but I like its suggestion of finality.
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Jun 09, 2011 11:40 am

I went with The Silver Chair. The chair is in the book for only a few pages, and yet it gets the title? There are much more important elements of that book than a argentiferous prop ;))
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby Shy Galadriel » Jun 09, 2011 3:31 pm

The Last Battle. Not because I'm especially smart like Gpuddle, but because I just didn't like how it was a last anything in Narnia. It wasn't fair that Lewis closed the door on us when we all wanted to get into the wardrobe. With that being said, The Last Battle is sort of a lame name, especially for a Narnia book. Although Prince Caspian takes a close second.
I dreamt that I dwelt in marble halls

<3 As you wish <3
Shy Galadriel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Louloudi the Centaur » Jun 09, 2011 5:51 pm

I voted The Silver Chair. I'm not sure why, but it just sounds... weird to me. A book about a chair is very unusual to me I guess. A title I would have given is something like "The Underworld Rescue". I just think that sounds more exciting or suspenseful.
Louloudi the Centaur
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Ithilwen » Jun 09, 2011 11:49 pm

I voted for The Horse and his Boy. it just sounds so... Un-Narnian. It reminds me of the sort of title you would see on a very-little-kid's book. XD

~Riella =:)
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby wild rose » Jun 11, 2011 10:06 am

I went with Silver Chair, the chair is hardly present in the book, and when I first heard the title I was sure the chair was going to be something really big. Sure it is, its want keeps Rillian enchanted, but still, it's hardly in the book, so the significace doesn't exactly click in you brain (okay......correction, my brain :p ) I think there could have been a more appropriate title :)
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby Glumpuddle » Jun 11, 2011 1:20 pm

DiGoRyKiRkE wrote:I went with The Silver Chair. The chair is in the book for only a few pages, and yet it gets the title?

By that argument, the wardrobe is not deserving of being included in the title. ;)

I like the title because there is no sign of any silver chair until the end. So while reading it, I'm anticipating the moment when this mysterious silver chair makes an appearance, and I'm wondering what is so significant about it.

It turns out to be hugely significant. It is the answer to the mystery of what happened to Prince Rilian and why he never returned (which is what Jill, Eustace, and Puddleglum are all trying to discover). It is the LotGK's method of keeping him under her control.

The chair itself is an image of self-imprisonment, an important theme that runs through the series (the dwarfs at the end of LB being the most obvious example). Giving the book that title emphasizes that idea.
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby wild rose » Jun 12, 2011 3:56 am

glumPuddle wrote:
DiGoRyKiRkE wrote:I went with The Silver Chair. The chair is in the book for only a few pages, and yet it gets the title?

By that argument, the wardrobe is not deserving of being included in the title. ;)

Allow me to respectfully disagree with you, to me the wardrobe plays a slightly large role, to start with it is in the begining for the book, it leads all the children into Narnia, it is mentioned more than once and appears in more than one scene. The silver chair, though playing a huge importance in the book yet somehow I failed to see the significance of it to make it a worthy title for the book. When I read the title of the book I was very curious to what the silver chair was, but when I read the book I was quite disappointed that it didn't appear till the end and somehow it wasn't as mysterious as it appeared in the title. Of course this is just my opinion :)
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby Narnian_Archer » Jun 14, 2011 3:22 am

I went for the Silver Chair... not because I think it wasn't intriguing - but because the chair was such a small part of the story. I remember when I read it, I was so curious to find out just why it was called the "Silver Chair"...and when it appeared for a few pages and then disappeared into oblivion, I was like, "That's it?" :( But I can't think of a better name, though. :) :)
sig by Sheroo of Stormness Head
Member of the Dragon club. PM Narnia Girl or FFJ to join.
RL sibling to De_De and wild rose
Narnian_Archer
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Jun 14, 2011 9:08 am

Glumpuddle wrote:By that argument, the wardrobe is not deserving of being included in the title.

How do you make that conclusion? The wardrobe is a key player in many instances in that book:

1: It's the second thing that separates Lucy from her family (the first being the War)

2: It's the portal to a magical world

3: It is a cause for division and strife amongst the Pevensies

4: It is the mechanism which allows Edmund to betray his family

5: Again, portal to a magical world which Aslan uses to end the 100 years of winter

6: It's made from the daughter-tree of the tree of protection

So overall, it's used and remember throughout the entire book! The silver chair is used in a few pages, and even within those pages, it is not the focus; Rillian's madness is. One can make the argument that the madness is induced by the chair, but the chair gets all of it's power from the LOTGK. By itself, the chair is completely innocuous.

I too agree with you that throughout my first reading of it, I was wonderring when this mysterious chair would show up. When I got to that actual scene, I was left with a "That's it?!" feeling. The chair is so powerful that it can be hewn to bits by a regular old sword?

I also agree that it's what the witch is using to keep Rillian held hostage, but still, to assume that it's the most important part, would be like saying that the WW's wand was what held Narnia spellbound. It's the witch, not the object, that is important.
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby Lilygloves » Jun 14, 2011 6:16 pm

I voted for Prince Caspian as my least favorite (not that I'm hating on any Narnia books) because it doesn't have as much mystery or uniqueness to it as the others. Although it has "Return to Narnia", most people would not recognize that except for avid readers such as NarniaWebbers. Although since Caspian is introduced in the third chapter, I can understand why the need for suspense doesn't apply here.
I especially like Horse and His Boy because it's an original twist and not what one would expect. And it's true; Bree had more power if you will over Shasta than Shasta had over the Horse.
In regards to The Silver Chair, first hats off to Lewis for coming up with that title after his numerous attempts at a title. I think he chose that because it is the main symbol of the book. If you saw a silver chair you would think of Rillian, just as if you saw two rings you would think of MN and if you saw a horn you would think of PC.
Lilygloves
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby GlimGlum » Jun 28, 2011 5:37 pm

Not sure exactly why but The Last Battle has always been my least favorite title. So that is why I voted for it. ;)

But I do pretty much like the others to one degree or another. :)
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Next