This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Could Narnians enter our world through the same portals?

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Could Narnians enter our world through the same portals?

Postby MinotaurforAslan » Feb 03, 2011 7:09 pm

This was a subject I saw being discussed on another topic.

Do you think that the Narnians could have theoretically entered our world through the same portals as the kids? For instance, Tumnus following Lucy through the other side of the wardrobe.
MinotaurforAslan
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Re: Could Narnians enter our world through the same portals?

Postby coracle » Feb 04, 2011 12:23 am

Well, Caspian was allowed (in Silver Chair) to go from Aslan's Country - does that count?
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby georgiefan1 » Feb 04, 2011 8:00 am

or like in LWW
the Pevensies get back to our world from Narnia

I highly doubt that needs to be in a spoiler but just in case ;)

does that count?
NW twin to Georgiefan! NW sib to 22!
avvie by AslansChild thank you!!!
georgiefan1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby TheGeneral » Feb 04, 2011 7:48 pm

For some reason I am swayed to say 'no'. But nothing I can remember off-hand would suggest that they couldn't. But if they could, it would seem less 'magical' somehow.
TheGeneral
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Omac the centaur » Feb 04, 2011 10:59 pm

Hmm... well that does make you think! it never says they couldn't... :-\ maybe Aslan just wouldn't let them, like he only let people from this world when he wanted them to. Its only open if he allows it to be. If he wanted them to i guess they could. :) ;)
-Omac-
signature by daughter of the King :)
Omac the centaur
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Gwendolen » Feb 05, 2011 11:01 am

I don't have any sources for this right now (I'll do a bit of research, though), but if I remember correctly, one of Lewis's first ideas for the book that became VotDT included a Narnian getting into our world from the picture as well as the kids going into Narnia.

I always wished he'd explored that a bit more, though I suppose Jadis in MN is an example of someone from another world coming into ours. I like those chapters in MN.
Gwendolen
Moderator Emeritus

Postby MinotaurforAslan » Feb 05, 2011 2:57 pm

You're right, Gwendolen, I completely forgot about Jadis in MN. I guess that answers it then, Narnians or "Charnians" can get to our world. Jadis certainly didn't get special permission from Aslan or anything.
MinotaurforAslan
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby narnian_at_heart » Feb 11, 2011 1:45 am

It certainly seems as if they could. I mean, there are the examples that several people mentioned above.

However, the Pevensies and Jill and Eustace only came when they were needed or when they were called so I suppose the Narnians can't get into our world because they were never needed or called to come here. The only people from our world who came when they weren't called or needed was Digory and Polly and they came because Uncle Andrew made them and then Aslan told them to never use the rings again. So I suppose that if the Narnians wanted to, they could make some sort of ring like that (if they had the dust) and come but I suppose Aslan would say the same thing to them about not using rings.

Is that at all clear? I am never good at expressing what I want to say on forums.
narnian_at_heart
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby DamselJillPole » Feb 23, 2011 10:22 pm

Yes I believe Narnian's can get into our world. It goes both ways and I agree with everything Gwendolen said.
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Lucy_the_Oracle » Feb 24, 2011 3:24 pm

I definitely think they could get into our world! But I don't think it would go nearly as well for them. Our world isn't very friendly to things it doesn't understand.
As long as there is breath in my body, I will be For Narnia. And for Aslan.
Lucy_the_Oracle
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby puddleglum32 » Mar 27, 2011 1:50 pm

If they did get into our world i think they wouldnt last long! I think they wouldnt like it here. I mean Tumnus didn't know what a wardrobe is.(i think?)

Founder of the Switchfoot Club.
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Check it out on the Talk About Narnia forum!
puddleglum32
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Reepi » Mar 27, 2011 4:11 pm

In some early notes from C.S. Lewis regarding VDT, he initially planned to have a Narnian entering our world through the picture as the pevensies and Eustace get to Narnia.
Reepi
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby wild rose » Apr 15, 2011 12:45 pm

Personally I think that it really depends upon the will of Aslan :) true Jadis did come to our world....but then she wasn't Narnian :p and she came through the pools, which can take anyone anywhere. But through other portals you can only go through if Aslan will allow you, that's what I think :) Just like with humans entering Narnia, only by the will of Aslan, and anyway how do we know it wasn't the will of Aslan that brought Jadis to out world, cause only thanks to the fact that she came here were Frank and Helen transported to Narnia and became the first king and queen, so it is Aslan that allows and permits the comings and goings :)
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby Conina » Apr 15, 2011 4:50 pm

I think it would be more devastating for Narnians. If they spent a few years here and then went back to Narnia, thousands of years would have gone by - much like how it was for the Pevensies at the beginning of PC, a different world. And that's if they escaped capture in our world.
"Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning." -C.S. Lewis
Conina
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Aravis Narnia » Apr 17, 2011 4:17 am

Wow, what a question. I had not pondered about this one.

I do wonder if someone would try to get into Narnia the way Uncle Andrew did- by inventing something that would transport you.

I am trying to imagine why did nobody in Narnia showed curiosity trying to get to another world. Some wanted to go to the end of the world- but not to actual other worlds.

I wonder if Narnia had no easily visible satellites- or other planets in the sky- that would quickly prompt curiosity and adventure the same way Earth's Moon does for earthlings.
Aravis Narnia
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Boy Scout » Apr 20, 2011 3:03 pm

I'm sure they, could, but do you really think Aslan would ever let them. The Wood Between the Worlds really isn't a place in the sense that you can say that your somewhere in a certein spot, and since the WW was more of Draged into our world and the nothingness of pre-Narnia, she really didnt come of her free will so that might be something to think about.
Packers=13 time Wrold Champs!

I'm not inactive, I'm just very, very, busy.
Boy Scout
NarniaWeb Junkie

Next