This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Who was Aslan's mother?

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Who was Aslan's mother?

Postby MinotaurforAslan » Feb 05, 2011 4:31 pm

Jesus' mother and father were God and Mary.

Aslan's father was the Emperor over the Sea.

Who was Aslan's mother?
MinotaurforAslan
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Re: Who was Aslan's mother?

Postby Gwendolen » Feb 05, 2011 5:03 pm

I think this is one occasion where Aslan isn't supposed to be exactly like Jesus. He was never born to a Narnian family, so I'd assume he just has one parent. It's interesting to think about, though. :)
Gwendolen
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Feb 05, 2011 5:30 pm

I'm not sure it works like that. Although the parallels aren't perfect, it's easy to see that the Emperor Over the Sea plays a role similar to God the Father and Aslan, God the Son. Aslan also plays a role similar to God the Holy Spirit in some of the Narnia scenes (especially in HHB).
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby Ithilwen » Feb 05, 2011 8:51 pm

Plus, Mary was only Jesus's mother in His Earthly form. And technically the Spirit of Jesus wouldn't be in that form while he was appearing in Narnia as Aslan in the story.

And having a mother was necessary in our world. It isn't so much in Narnia.

~Riella =:)
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby Lucy85 » Feb 06, 2011 2:33 pm

Hmmm, interesting question. However, I agree with what others have said. I don't think Aslan needed a mother like Jesus did. Good question though:) I had never thought of that.
Wrong will be right when Aslan comes in sight / At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more / When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death / And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again
Lucy85
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Arvan » Feb 07, 2011 10:00 pm

I don't think we can really say he had a mother, since he was never born in the world, but rather he takes the form of a Lion when he's there. Jesus was actually conceived and born in our world, so his mother was Mary, but Aslan? I don't think so. Not in Narnia.
"The only valid censorship of ideas is the right of people not to listen."
"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too."
Arvan
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Stylteralmaldo » Feb 22, 2011 2:57 pm

In the book (and movie) Prince Caspian the idea of a mother is somewhat hinted at, but I suppose that can be debated.
The Narnians mention two different stars in their mythology. One is "Tarva", the "Lord of Victory". This would be Aslan. The other is "Alambil", the "Lady of Peace". One could say this is Aslan's mother. Mary, is seen as the Lady of Peace in "our world". It isn't a huge jump to conclude that Alambil is the mother of Tavra.

My nickname emoji: :@)

...Let us leave the elementary doctrine of Christ and go on to maturity,...with instruction about ablutions, the laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead, and eternal judgment. (Hebrews 6:1-2)
Stylteralmaldo
Moderator Emeritus
Royal Bloodlines Guru

Postby wolfloversk » Feb 22, 2011 5:29 pm

(*Refrains from Christianity disscussion)

I'm going top follow along the lines that he didn't need a mother... after all lots of creatures on earth don't need mothers (or fathers) in the strictest sense to reproduce ;)
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby TheGeneral » Feb 28, 2011 2:15 pm

I imagined him to be always around, and that he calls the Emperor over the Sea his father only because he's beneath him in power.
TheGeneral
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby puddleglum32 » Feb 28, 2011 6:45 pm

I always thought he represented Jesus and that the emperor is God the father, and i think he doesn't have a mother.

Founder of the Switchfoot Club.
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Check it out on the Talk About Narnia forum!
puddleglum32
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby ChristProclamer » Mar 01, 2011 12:29 pm

Aslan's mother is never mentioned. Aslan is there at the beginning of the world of Narnia, and therefore has no 'mortal' mother in Narnia. He does not stem from a mortal family as Jesus does here. For Aslan in Narnia, there was no incarnation, no miraculous birth. He just always was, as far as the books say.

Of course any of Aslan's forms outside of Narnia have different stories, but I think the question is sufficiently answered, at least for me.
ChristProclamer
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Lilygloves » Mar 29, 2011 7:48 pm

Lewis specifically stated that Narnia was NOT a Christian allegory. There are parallels, but he never intended to use Narnia as a medium to tell Christian messages. The Christian parallels just kind of came. There really isn't any need to ponder Aslan's mother to connect him to Jesus. A lot of background information about Aslan is never mentioned. Where does he live? When was he born? What are the limits of his power? Is his father a lion or a person? etc.
Lilygloves
NarniaWeb Junkie