This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader Video Game

Stuff to fill your Wardrobe!

Moderator: Meltintalle

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader Video Game

Postby 7chronicles » Nov 07, 2009 10:04 pm

So when the VDT video game comes out, what do you want to see in the game? What sort of battles, or scenes from the book do you want to be able to play, what characters do you want to be?

I personally hope the game is more Adventure/Puzzle, then just combat, but I defiantly want there to be combat, like against the Sea Serpent!

But I liked in the LWW game how you used each characters special abilities to get through the level. Like how only Edmund and Lucy could walk on the ice because they were the lightest, I hope they keep these sort of thing in the VDT video game. :)

The Value of myth is that it takes all the things you know and restores to them the rich significance which has been hidden by the veil of familiarity. C.S. Lewis
7chronicles
NarniaWeb Guru

Re: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader Video Game

Postby icarus » Nov 07, 2009 11:21 pm

Its almost a universal truth of video games that all movie tie-in games are awful, and i'm honestly not expecting Dawn Treader to be much different. Even though the developer has changed this time around, i wouldnt imagine it would stray too far from the generic hack'n'slash type gameplay of the first two movie games.

Which is probably a bit of a shame, since im sure you could make a pretty good game out of VDT if you tried. Obivously you are always going to be limited by the linear nature of the book (unless you do some sort of expanded universe tie-in, like some movie games do these days, in order to incorporate some element of free-roaming adventure) but i think, as you kind of perhaps suggested, you could make quite a good puzzle-adventure game out of VDT, like say in the same sort of gameplay style as the Monkey Island games.

Whatever they do with the style of the game though, one thing i hope they do is take a lead from the opening few levels of the Prince Caspian game and give us a bit of expanded backstory to start the VDT game with. The book provides details on a lot of the opening stages of the voyage (the tournament on Galma, the pirate attack off Terebinthia) and whilst such backstory material would be completley irrelevant for inclusion in the movie, it could only be of benefit to the game - making the playable voyage much longer, and allowing a greater deal of freedom and exploration in the early stages where the specific sequence of events arent so set in stone.

I doubt they would have the budget to have filmed any "video game exclusive scenes" for those early stages like we got in the last game, but an expanded early voyage is definitley something they need to do with the game itself.
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby GeorgieXOXOsmile » Nov 10, 2009 7:45 pm

icarus wrote:Its almost a universal truth of video games that all movie tie-in games are awful.

I agree with you. Most video games that tie in movies, are not very fun at all. They are mostly just an adventure game that gets old in about 2 days. Yeah, Dawn Treader might be different though.
GeorgieXOXOsmile
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Lion's Emblem » Nov 20, 2009 10:00 pm

It might be interesting to have the level selection for VDT to be a map of Narnia and the surrounding isles (as the LWW game had level slection through the wardrobe panels). The level selector could be a graphic of the Dawn Treader and it would travel across the map with each level being on each island (and perhaps one or two out on the ocean. An encounter with the sea serpent or discovering the end of the ocean perhaps?). I can see each island having a series of tasks, puzzles, and what not to complete. I'd much prefer the interchangable system of characters that was used on the LWW game instead of PC (I found it really annoying that you had to be so close to another character to switch. It was more helpful when it was automatic). I also hope that VDT doesn't follow down the PC path of having each level be an hour (yeah, there was a lot to do, but it became pretty boring pretty fast). Here's also hoping that VDT has the co-op feature and unlockable bonus content.
Sig by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
NWsis to eves_daughter & ForeverFan
Lion's Emblem
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby AJAiken » Nov 22, 2009 10:37 am

I liked the huge variety of levels in the LWW, though I thought that some of the levels were gorgeous in the PC game. I have the PS3 version of the PC tie-in game, and I adored the beach stuff especially. However, I liked how it was pretty easy to finish a level on the LWW game pretty quickly, whereas it took ages to get through a PC one. As mentioned above, I also preferred LWW's way of changing between characters. However, LWW had a restricted number of characters, and I loved the variety in the PC game! Playing as a tree was so much fun. And Reepicheep was so cool too. I definitely want to be able to play as Reepicheep again!

For VDT I'd like to see shorter levels, and more of them. I also want to be able to play as lots of characters - like it would be very cool to play as Eustace, in each guise. :)

I think it would be very cool if, at one point in the game, you had to fight the invisible dufflepuds ...
AJAiken
Moderator Emeritus

Postby 7chronicles » Nov 22, 2009 6:15 pm

I want to be Eustace to! It would be great if they had a button you could push that made him throw a temper tantrum, that would be so funny! =)) I also agree that LWW style of changing characters is better.
I'm hoping you get to fight the sea serpent, and now that I think of it, it would be so awesome if you could be Lucy going into Coriakin’s house, and you have to find the right room where the Magician’s book is and they make the level really quiet. That would be so much fun! :D

The Value of myth is that it takes all the things you know and restores to them the rich significance which has been hidden by the veil of familiarity. C.S. Lewis
7chronicles
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Fantasma » Dec 15, 2009 6:50 pm

The only other Narnia video game I got to play was PC, since I have a PS3 and LWW didn't come out on the PS3, but nonetheless I am excited to see how the VDT game will turn out.
I didn't necessarily love the PC game - the graphics weren't that good, it got old really quickly, etc...but I still am a video game fanatic so I will definitely be getting the next game.
I don't think there will be much fighting in it, however. There isn't any wars in the book, is there?
Fantasma
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby 7chronicles » Dec 15, 2009 9:33 pm

Fantasma, I'm not sure if you knew this but you can play PS2 games on the PS3, so if you are interested you can play the LWW game. :) As for the wars, No wars, but defiantly battles, like the Sea Serpent and that sort of stuff, who knows what they add in the movie! I hope the overall feel of the game will be puzzle/adventure! I can't wait for the game trailer, does anyone remember when we got LWW's game trailer and PC's trailer, or how many months away it was from the movie? :-\

7chronicles
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Griffle » Dec 16, 2009 12:42 am

I'm not sure if you knew this but you can play PS2 games on the PS3, so if you are interested you can play the LWW game.

That all depends on what version of the PS3 console you have.

Only the original versions of the console are compatible with Playstation 2 games. All other versions, including the recently released PS3 Slim does NOT have that feature.
THIS HOPELESSLY OUT OF DATE SIGNATURE IS SPONSORED BY LAZINESS TM
Griffle
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby 7chronicles » Dec 16, 2009 2:37 am

I didn't know that. :-\ Thanks for telling me Griffle :)

I thought of a list of playable characters:
Lucy
Edmund
Caspian
Reep
Eustace/Dragon Eustace
Other Characters:
Dufflepuds
Mermaids
Drinian
The Dawn Treader/Steering

It would be cool if you could steer the Dawn Treader to the different islands. :)

7chronicles
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Fantasma » Dec 16, 2009 4:17 pm

Griffle wrote:
I'm not sure if you knew this but you can play PS2 games on the PS3, so if you are interested you can play the LWW game.

That all depends on what version of the PS3 console you have.

Only the original versions of the console are compatible with Playstation 2 games. All other versions, including the recently released PS3 Slim does NOT have that feature.

Yep, and I wish I had the original version of the PS3 so I could play PS2 games, but I don't, unfortunately.

7chronicles wrote:It would be cool if you could steer the Dawn Treader to the different islands. :)

That would be awesome! I hope they include that. :D
Fantasma
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Griffle » Dec 17, 2009 6:16 am

Fantasma wrote:Yep, and I wish I had the original version of the PS3 so I could play PS2 games, but I don't, unfortunately.

Even if you did have the original version of the console; not all games are supported, so chances are you wouldn't be able to play the game anyway. Hope this makes you feel a bit better. :D
THIS HOPELESSLY OUT OF DATE SIGNATURE IS SPONSORED BY LAZINESS TM
Griffle
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Dec 19, 2009 5:23 pm

the VotDT video game could be really different form a lot of video games because this one has a boat! that could be really cool! I hope they put in a storm or two and the part with the sea serpent! :D
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby Fantasma » Dec 20, 2009 6:09 pm

Griffle wrote:
Fantasma wrote:Yep, and I wish I had the original version of the PS3 so I could play PS2 games, but I don't, unfortunately.

Even if you did have the original version of the console; not all games are supported, so chances are you wouldn't be able to play the game anyway. Hope this makes you feel a bit better. :D

It does, indeed. :D

Has anyone played the Nintendo DS versions of the Narnia games?
I think they are different than the PS2/XBox, etc, versions, but I'd like to know for sure. :)
Fantasma
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby 7chronicles » Dec 20, 2009 8:58 pm

I have both LWW and PC on DS, I really like them and they are both very different from the PS2 or PS3 ones that I've played.
LWW is more exploring with combat. While PC is all combat and you control everything with the stylus. Hope that helps you. :D
That makes me also wonder if they will have a DS game for VDT. And I've always wanted a PSP Narnia game, hope they finally make one for VDT! :)

7chronicles
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Fantasma » Dec 21, 2009 9:40 am

Thanks! :D
I think they will probably make a DS game for VDT, and quite possibly one for PSP. Although, I don't know for sure; but seeing as they already have both LWW and PC on DS, they probably will have VDT on DS as well.
Fantasma
NarniaWeb Regular

Next